Need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Did you have fun drafting? If it's a minimal to no-cost league, that's all that really counts.
    Yeah just like those alltime drafts, the drafting is the best part. Right now i'm still into my Basketball and Hockey because i'm in the playoffs for both but I think this baseball season will be fun. Our ESPN draft is this Saturday, thats my last draft of the year so hopefully that goes well.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
      Yeah just like those alltime drafts, the drafting is the best part. Right now i'm still into my Basketball and Hockey because i'm in the playoffs for both but I think this baseball season will be fun. Our ESPN draft is this Saturday, thats my last draft of the year so hopefully that goes well.
      Wanna take my place at my NL-only auction? Only lasts 9 hours lmao.

Wait... i have an espn draft on saturday.... is that the same one?
      "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Yes.

I'm in it too. I actually left because I cannot be present for the draft, but Tom asked me to still be in the league. I will prerank later this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Muncus Agruncus View Post
          Yes.

I'm in it too. I actually left because I cannot be present for the draft, but Tom asked me to still be in the league. I will prerank later this week.
          Send me your password and I'll draft you an awesome team
          "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Shame you're not active on that site I sent you. We're drafting tonight and 100K goes to the winner - gets that much closer to a free 50+" tv

Comment

Send me your password and I'll draft you an awesome team
              Nobody wins. You draft poorly for me (on purpose if that smiley means what I think it means) and I will be mad. If you draft a good team, then it's not my team and I have to give you credit. See, doesn't work. I had a draft once where the commissioner drafted his team and a friend's team. Why would the friend want that?!!!?

Comment

Yeah thats the one Tag from here is running, (I think thats his name) It's the first ESPN draft i've been a part of so i'm looking forward to seeing the differances between Yahoo and ESPN.
                "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Yeah thats the one Tag from here is running, (I think thats his name) It's the first ESPN draft i've been a part of so i'm looking forward to seeing the differances between Yahoo and ESPN.
                  ESPN & Yahoo! are very similar in base stats. Both work well from my experience (20 years) and hope it works well for you too!

Comment

Just sent your info thru, let me know if you don't get response with next 10 minutes.

Comment

Protects from my NL league had to be submitted tonight...
                      Code:
                      P  Player Name        % (2013 designation)

3B Chase Headley     15 (2nd)
                      OF Giancarlo Stanton 20 (13)
                      OF Travis Snyder      4 (ILFA)
                      P Kyle Lohse          1 (OPT)
                      P Sean Marshall       1 (OPT)
                      P Julio Teheran       8 (2nd)
                      P Ryan Vogelsong      6 (2nd)

Toppers: Chris Heisey, Matt Gamel, Matt Adams
                      Toppers are players who've been on my roster for two years or still have RoY qualifications in tact while now on an NL roster - such as Adams. What this means is that I never nominate these guys, but when somebody does, I have the rights to beat out the highest bid by $1 to get him back on my team. Heisey was a $6 retain, Gamel's at $10 and is out for the year and Adams is $10 as well, but he'll be limited with at-bats and I had no room on my max-7 protect list for him.

I'm not thrilled with my offense as Headley's out thru April and I'll be lucky if Stanton can get his RBI total over 80 with the scabs on that team. But he's in his last year of an extended contract and might be trade bait at the deadline as I've been building for 2014 anyway.

Comment

Today was our marathon 8-hour NL auction. For the first time, we didn't have ridiculously priced players. When I say ridiculous, it's up to ten or so over the $40 mark. If I remember correctly. Only Braun ($47) & Kemp ($42) surpassed that mark this year. Pitching was down as well. Usually, there are 3-5 that go over $30. Kershaw & Hamels were kept at $29 from last year (as were Strasburg, Cain and Wainwright at lower costs) and two most expensive auctioned today were Cliff Lee & Gio Gonzalez, who both reached the $29 mark.

My strategy this year was to get a few starters under $20 to flesh out my rotation and grab one closer. Two teams kept 6 closers between them from last season, so that left us ten owners rifling thru the remaining nine - and it's not really nine since there are some questionable ones. I also didn't want to invest in one huge bat, but rather stretch my dollars to get better depth throughout the lineup. Last year I had $68 invested in Hanley Ramirez & Jayson Werth - ouch.

This is what I ended up with...

C - K.Suzuki $7
                        C - N. Hundley $3
                        1B - G. Jones $16
                        2B - N. Walker $17
                        3B - C. Headley $15*
                        SS - H. Ramirez $21
                        CI - M. Young $15
                        MI - F. Galvis $4
                        OF - G. Stanton $20*
                        OF - T. Snider $4*
                        OF - J. Upton $36
                        OF - D. Young $5
                        OF - C. Heisey $4
                        UT - M. Adams $5
                        P - R. Vogelsong $6*
                        P - K. Lohse $1*
                        P - J. Teheran $8*
                        P - J. Samardzija $19
                        P - D. Haren $17
                        P - S. Marshall $1*
                        P - J. Putz $16
                        P - R. Detwiler $8
                        P - S. Marcum $5
                        P - D. Storen $7
                        P - C. Luebke $8
                        Res - J. Gyorko 2B/3B
                        Res - T. Joseph C
                        Res - M. Davidson 3B
                        Res - T. Thornburg P
                        Res - K. Parker OF

Did my strategy work? I would have liked one more $20+ type bat - especially since I'll have Headley out for at least a month, but there just wasn't anbody appealing there. Guys like CarGo & such were going in the low 30 dollar range, and by the time players in the zone I was looking for came up, I just didn't have the dollars available. I liked getting Hanley for $21 - he cost me $41 last year. If he even comes back close to what he was a couple of years ago, he could be on my team for a few years. I'm not a Galvis fan at all, but you have to have low-cost players on your roster, and he could very well qualify at 2B, SS, 3B, and OF within the first month - this league uses a 1-game qualifier mark in-season to gain eligibility at a position.

I had to jump on Putz as most of the heavy closers were gone. With all of the ones kept from last year, only Papelbon was a top-tier avaialable and he went for about $27. I'm hoping Storen can vulture a few out as you need one closer. If you're in the money, teams will move them at the deadline and it's unwise to punt the Saves category unless the rest of your team is so good, you can minimize the damage. Mine's not, so I needed to put out the $16 for Putz. Overall cost-wise, I like my rotation. I'll stash Luebke on the DL and find somebody on the waiver wire which opens tomorrow night.

The Reserve Draft - after all teams are filled - is a five-round snake auction which is normally filled with minor leaguers since the ML rosters have been picked apart. I came in with the #2 pick. The owner at #1 was in the same boat I was... Take the guy with higher long-term value (Taveras) or more instant impact (Gyorko). I told him that whomever he took, I'm taking the other so he gets to make the call. I'm happy with Gyorko as he'll have eligibility at two positions and getting a possible 20 HRs from 2B is really nice. The rest of the reserves look to be possible Sept call-ups except for Thornburg - who could pitch out of the pen this year, and Parker who's starting in AA I believe. But it never hurts to have a Rockie prospect hitter .

EDIT: I got Upton for $36. I bid Tulowitzki up to the same price and somebody got him for $37. Between the two, I'd rather have Tulo if not simply because of the position. But after talking to the owner who won him, he said he was willing to go to $45 so I really had no shot.
                        Last edited by Ben Grimm; 03-30-2013, 04:17 PM.

Comment

I'm getting absolutely crushed in my NL league. With Vogelsong (who's sucked this season) hitting the DL, it makes 12 of my players spending time off the roster - six are currently inactive.

Scouting the waiver wire is a joke, but I do have first priority. It's a virtual barren wasteland of talent. Here are the top-3 available in each position (I went top-5 in OF & Pitching)...

Catcher

Miguel Olivo
                          Wil Nieves
                          Anthony Recker

First Base

Ty Wigginton
                          Eric Hinske
                          Chad Tracy

Second Base

Ramiro Pena
                          Kevin Frandsen
                          Josh Wilson

Shortstop

Ramiro Pena
                          Josh Wilson
                          Alex Gonzalez

Third Base

Ramiro Pena
                          Kevin Frandsen
                          Josh Wilson

Outfield

Mike Baxter
                          Collin Cowgill
                          Derrick Robinson
                          Charlie Blackmon
                          Reed Johnson

Pitcher

Brandon Kintzler
                          Blake Burdenhop
                          Adam Ottavino
                          Logan Ondrusek
                          Joe Thatcher

How's that for a sad group of nobodies?

Comment

C - K.Suzuki $7
                            C - N. Hundley $3
                            1B - G. Jones $16
                            2B - N. Walker $17
                            3B - C. Headley $15*
                            SS - H. Ramirez $21
                            CI - M. Young $15
                            MI - F. Galvis $4
                            OF - G. Stanton $20*
                            OF - T. Snider $4*
                            OF - J. Upton $36
                            OF - D. Young $5
                            OF - C. Heisey $4
                            UT - M. Adams $5
                            P - R. Vogelsong $6*
                            P - K. Lohse $1*
                            P - J. Teheran $8*
                            P - J. Samardzija $19
                            P - D. Haren $17
                            P - S. Marshall $1*
                            P - J. Putz $16
                            P - R. Detwiler $8
                            P - S. Marcum $5
                            P - D. Storen $7
                            P - C. Luebke $8
                            Res - J. Gyorko 2B/3B
                            Res - T. Joseph C
                            Res - M. Davidson 3B
                            Res - T. Thornburg P
                            Res - K. Parker OF
                            This season turned out to be an utter disaster. Half of my squad spent time on the DL with some being there for more than a month. Can't get very far when much of your core doesn't even play a game until May. Start out slow in these leagues, and you find yourself in trouble fast.

I've considered deep leagues like this (it is 12-team NL-only after all) to take at least two years to build when starting from scratch. Usually, it takes that kind of time to build a foundation thru the auction and trades. So, this is year two for me and I need to put a contender on the field for 2014.

I'm going into early trade phase since I'm so far out of things and don't want to wait. If one of my potential trade chips gets sent to the AL, I lose him as well as my ability to get anything for him.

So, I've got two trades on the table that have both been verbally agreed to - just need to be finalized based on dollars and such to keep teams involved under the cap.

TRADE 1: I move G. Stanton ($20 - final year of contract), M. Young ($15 - likely moving to AL next year) and J. Putz ($16 - can't win with just one closer) for N. Arenado ($1 - minor league contract) and a few fringe players.

Arenado is a 3B for the Rockies and just 22 years old. I'm hoping this is simply a learning year and he blossoms next season. He'll cost me $11 for the next two years ($1 minor leaguers who were drafted have $10 added to their base salaries if kept - kept free agents go from $1 current season to $14 the next year).

TRADE 2: I move J. Upton ($36 - won't be kept), J. Samardzija ($19 - will miss him, but could be moved at deadline to AL), and D. Gregorious ($1 free agent) for D. Brown ($10 - can extend him 2 more years) & C. Hart ($19 - out for the year, simply to balance money).

Brown gives me what I'm looking for. Another young player with solid upside potential. As you can see by our typical free agents available, you really have to pay to get proven inespensive talent because there's nothing on the wire.

We'll see how these moves pan out. I can only keep a max of 7, so I may begin consilidating two good young players for one better one (or even three for one if need be).

Comment

That ESPN League is getting interesting. I'm back in playoff contention with Bryce Harper coming back. I do have a very tough schedule coming up though.

Comment

Both moves were finalized today.

I basicallly netted Dom Brown and Nolan Arenado for the next three-five years if I work it right and they produce.

Lost a ton of course, but needed to get this done before anybody else started throwing their guys out into the mix.

Looking ahead, and some players were flip-flopped in these deals once they were finalized.

M. Adams ($5) 1B
                                J. Gyorko ($11) 2B
                                H. Ramirez ($21) SS/3B
                                N. Arenado ($11) 3B
                                D. Brown ($10) OF
                                J. Teheran ($8) P
                                J. Turner ($2) P

Finally, something I can get a bit excited about. Every player has ML experience and all are 26 years old or less. I may extend one or two - or not. I will have good funds for the auction though.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X