No announcement yet.

Need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We just kicked off our draft selection slots for this coming season in my AL-only league. Being that I finished 2nd outside of the money (3rd place) in 2013, I had the second selection. We are an 8-team league now, and I counted 26-28 players who'd I'd deem worthy of selecting in the first four rounds. We're not allowed to keep players picked during those rounds of the draft to keep the player pool somewhat fresh. Since I already have Trout on my roster, and Cabrera will be taken first, I found the next 10 or so available to be about the same. Guys like Prince, Reyes, Cano (I would have taken slot #2 if he was still in NY), Felix, Verlander, Scherzer, Pedroia, Mauer, etc all have value but are all interchangeable depending on team need.

Jumping to the last pick of the draft gives me two top-10 players available and I think (hope) that will prove to be the right decision. I'll have picks #8, 9, 24 & 25 to build upon. I doubt I'm keeping one of my 5th rounders from last year, so that opens up slot #33 as well.

Below is a list of possible players I can keep (minimum of 5 - maximum of 7) as well as the draft slot they'll occupy. Naturally, when you can keep a player where he was originally drafted for three years, late-round success comes into play. We can draft a player and keep him for three years at the same slot. So if you draft somebody in round 14 and like him, he stays round 14 over the tenure of his contract. There is an option year heading into his final season of that contract. You can keep that player for a 4th year, but his slot status gets cut in half. So if you've had that 14throunder on your roster for two years, you can keep him for his final year at the same spot, or extend him one season. But that will slot him at round 7 this year and next.

Round for 2015 -- Player Name -- Year in Contract

5 N SWISHER
    5 J LESTER
    7 A GORDON---4
    8 A AVILA
    9 M MOUSTAKAS--3
    11 W MYERS
    12 E HOSMER---4
    13 M TROUT----3
    14 E BONAFACIO
    15 C BUCHHOLZ
    17 J JASO
    18 J VERAS
    20 M IZTURIS
    22 J SMOAK
    23 D MASTROANNNI
    26 F GUTIERREZ
    28 C TILLMAN
    30 M MACHADO---3
    FA J PHEGLEY
    FA B MILLER
    FA D VALENCIA
    FA O ARCIA
    FA R GROSSMAN
    FA D FARQUAR
    FA S GRAY
    FA L HOCHEVAR
    FA G RICHARDS

As you can see, since Alex Gordon and Eric Hosmer have (4) next to their name, they were extended last season and I have them for one more season. Trout and Machado can both be kept where they are for this year, or I can extend one or both and keep them thru 2015 (Trout would go from a 13th round pick to a 6th for this year's draft and Machado would become a 15th). Players with a FA tag were picked up during the 2013 season prior to cut-off (September 1). These players can be kept but would need to be slotted as a 10th round pick this season. Rarely are these players kept, though I do believe I kept Matt Moore who was a FA pick up by me a few years back. His third year came to an end this past season.

Currently, this is who I think I'm keeping along with their slot designation...

6 - M. Trout (LAA) - thru 2015
    7 - A. Gordon (KC) - final season
    11 - W. Myers (TB) - second season
    12 - E. Hosmer (KC) - final season
    15 - C. Bucholz (BOS) - second season
    28 - C. Tilman (BAL) - second season
    30 - M. Machado (BAL) - final season*

* If I keep a different player other than Bucholz, I can keep Machado an extra year as he'll be cut to a 15th round pick this year and next. Or I can trade a pick or player(s)/pick to receive an extra 15th round selection. That would allow me to keep both Bucholz and Machado in the 15th.

This league doesn't cost/payout like my NL does, but it's among friends that I developed back in 1993. My friend runs it now as I simply don't have the time and while we were a head-to-head 50-game NL/AL team at one time, we're now a 5X5 AL only roto league. IIRC, we pay $100 flat fee to enter and all transactions are figured into the final money. Trades and player pickups on the FA wire are $1 each. Doesn't sound like much, but last year we had over 300 transactions, and the overall winner needed to make very few moves as he won an easy $600. Basically, first place earns 60% of the overall pot, second takes 30% and third plays the year for free (10%) with some added gas money.

Many leagues that involve keepers allow the last place team to draft first (or select their draft slot first). I never like that, and I instituted something about 10 years ago that kept teams more involved late in the season even if they were not in the running.

Our draft order (or selection as we find that more fun) starts with the first team out of the money. Teams that challenge and make moves shouldn't be penalized with an inverted draft order in my opinion - especially if there are owners doing nothing to improve their teams and simply fall to last place knowing they'll have the #1 pick next year. Our draft order goes like this:

#1 - 4th place finisher last year
    #2 - 5th place
    #3 - 6th place
    #4 - 7th place
    #5 - 9th place
    #6 - 3rd place
    #7 - 2nd place
    #8 - 1st place finisher last year

I started working my league this way back around '99 or 200 and what I've found is that it keeps even those way out of it involved a few weeks longer. There's a risk to the next season if you simply don't pay attention and this has thwarted that en masse. One other thing we do as I believe I mentioned earlier, is that we have a minimum of five keepers. This offsets those horrible late-season dump trades where a cellar-dweller dumps his entire roster for just one player. Having to keep a certain amount gets in the way of that, and we've had much smarter deadline deals and such in the process.

Sorry for the babble, but I'm excited for both MLB baseball and fantasy baseball. After this brutal winter, I'm even more excited for simple signs of Spring - such as "Batter Up!".
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

I'm trying to figure out if I want to keep a final slot for my NL league. I have six that I'm definitely keeping, but not sure if it's worth holding a player or simply freeing up the money for the auction.

Here's the players on my roster under consideration:

OF: Chris Heisey (CIN) $4
      OF: Travis Snider (PIT) $4
      2B/MI: Neil Walker (PIT) $17
      SP: Jacob Turner (MIA) $2

Lots of question marks here. Heisey, while having a solid spring, is going to be the #4 OFer for the Reds. Snider could likely be the starter, but that could be short-lived if Gregory Polanco tears things up in AAA. Neil Walker is overpriced and likely will go cheaper in the auction as half of our owners surely will bid solely by last year's numbers. Turner is not the big strikeout guy you'd like to have at a cheap price, but he could fill a slot (we require 10 pitchers). But I think he'll be $1 fodder and not really worth keeping.

I'm thinking of cutting all of these guys loose and just keep six players. I'm in a position now - after two years of rebuilding - to contend as my core is fairly solid at difficult positions to fill along with dollars available to attain quality players at the auction.

Here's my definite keepers:

1B - Matt Adams (STL) $5 - hopefully 150 games played this year
      2B - Jedd Gyorko (SD) $10 - minor league draft pick kept ($1 turns into $10 to keep him)
      SS - Hanley Ramirez (LAD) $21 - was $42 in 2012 auction - got him at bargain as I was building for '15/'16
      3B - Nolan Arenado (COL) $10 - minor league draft pick kept ($1 turns into $10 to keep him)
      OF - Domonic Brown (PHI) $20 - extended thru 2015
      P - JulioTeheran (ATL) $18 - extended thru 2015

Those are my top-6. Would you keep one of those I listed earlier or simply open the spot to add extra auction dollars? I have my mind made up 70%, but a solid argument to my thinking may sway things.
      "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

After a long Saturday evening (5 hours) and even longer Sunday (7 hours), I finally finished my two real league drafts.

AL Only - 8 teams
        NL Only - 10 teams

First up are the AL results....

This is a snake-draft - rounds selected are in ().

C1 - J. Mauer (3)
        C2 - J. Phegley (21)
        1B - E. Hosmer (12)
        2B - D. Pedroia (2)
        3B - M. Machado (30)
        SS - J. Reyes (1)
        CI - N. Castellanos (14)
        MI - K. Johnson (16)
        OF - M. Trout (6)
        OF - A. Gordon (7)
        OF - W. Myers (11)
        OF - N. Markakis (5)
        OF - O. Arcia (17)
        UT - L. Chisenhall (19)
        UT - M. Davidson (22)

P - J. Shields (4)
        P - D. Smyly (8)
        P - I. Nova (9)
        P - F. Rodney (10)
        P - M. Pineda (13)
        P - C. Bucholz (15)
        P - P. Hughes (18)
        P - D. Holland (20)
        P - M. Gonzalez (25)
        P - C. Tillman (28)

Bench - A. Russell SS (23)
        Bench - J. Bradley OF (24)
        Bench - C. Qualls RP (26)
        Bench - K. Gausman SP 29
        Bench - C. Gentry OF 30

All in all, I'm fairly happy with this team. But it has some major holes - mostly at the Saves slot. I do have first selection at FA's since I selected to draft last, and now that the Sox announced Lindstrom will be the closer, he's my first pickup.

I went with the same plan as last year - take Reyes and Pedroia 1st and 2nd to solidify the infield. I simply need both to be healthy as Reyes going down for two months killed me last year. Mauer, as early as he's picked, was actually the 3rd or 4th catcher off the board. I love the fact he's out from behind the plate and expect another 100 ABs from him this year to compile the Runs & RBIs.

Taking who I did eliminated the opportunity to get a stud pitcher, so I took an innings eater in Shields as my #1. Pitchers after that were somewhat taken by strikeout potential along with ST success (Pineda).

I've got lots of 3B options possible following this season, so I'm happy I didn't extend Machado when I had the chance. I was hoping to find a nice young 1B who'd be ready for when I lose Hosmer at the end of this year, but there simply aren't that many around. Best is Singleton, and he looks to be 3-4 years away from being an actual impact player in the majors - if it ever happens. I'm kind of hoping Russell takes the next step and is ready by 2015 and let me select a 1B in the draft as they are a bit more plentiful.

My starting pitching is a bit suspect, but I'm hoping for a few to take the next step as well as staying healthy. If they can play to potential, I could contend for the playoffs. If not, I'm done. I'm hoping to keep things close and have Holland come back 100% to give me a boost.

Comment

NL team up next. Pretty much the same question marks though some are in different positions from the AL...

C1 - W. Ramos $15
          C2 - J. Lobaton $1
          1B - M. Adams $5
          2B - J. Gyorko $10
          3B - N. Arenado $10
          SS - H. Ramirez $21
          MI - S. Gennett $5
          CI - I. Davis $7
          OF - R. Braun $43
          OF - B. Revere $21
          OF - D. Brown $10
          OF - C. Heisey $4
          OF - C. Young $4
          UT - T. Snider $1

P - M. Bumgarner $29
          P - A. Wood $21
          P - J. Teheran $18
          P - J. Henderson $18
          P - Z. Wheeler $15
          P - D. Gee $9
          P - E. Stults $4
          P - J. Niese $3
          P - T. Thornburg $1
          P - AJ Ramos $1
          P - R. Montero $1

Reserve - G. Polanco OF
          Reserve - K. Parker OF
          Reserve - T. Gwynn Jr OF
          Reserve - M. Wisler P
          Reserve - B. Beachy P

I went into this auction needing quite a few things: steals, saves, a monster hitter and a pure ace.

How did I do? I got the hitter in Braun, though he was the highest-priced player auctioned off. I didn't really care. Likewise with the pithcers. The best available all had question marks except for my #1 target.

Kershaw on the DL with a back issue. Cliff Lee pitching on a bad team and could be moved to an AL team at the deadline, Cole Hamels already on the DL. I wanted Bumgarner from the start as it dropped down to the likes of Homer Bailey & Jeff Smardzija after that. No knock against either pitcher, but neither is looked at as a CY possibility.

During endgame, I really needed steals and overbid Revere to get them. Didn't want to do it, but had to in order not to finish last. Same thing for Henderson & Wood. I couldn't get a closer and he was the last one left at the time. I had to overpay simply not to go into the season with a zero in that category. Same with Wood. It was late, teams had money left over and were willing to overbid. I had to take him to add some validity to my rotation.

I think I'm fairly balanced, but not that great. I'm hoping to finish in the top-5 with this team. But I'm not solid with saves nor can dominate enough in SBs to offset it. But when you finished dead-last the previous season, the only way to go is up, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
            After a long Saturday evening (5 hours) and even longer Sunday (7 hours), I finally finished my two real league drafts.

AL Only - 8 teams
            NL Only - 10 teams

First up are the AL results....

This is a snake-draft - rounds selected are in ().

C1 - J. Mauer (3)
            C2 - J. Phegley (21)
            1B - E. Hosmer (12)
            2B - D. Pedroia (2)
            3B - M. Machado (30)
            SS - J. Reyes (1)
            CI - N. Castellanos (14)
            MI - K. Johnson (16)
            OF - M. Trout (6)
            OF - A. Gordon (7)
            OF - W. Myers (11)
            OF - N. Markakis (5)
            OF - O. Arcia (17)
            UT - L. Chisenhall (19)
            UT - M. Davidson (22)

P - J. Shields (4)
            P - D. Smyly (8)
            P - I. Nova (9)
            P - F. Rodney (10)
            P - M. Pineda (13)
            P - C. Bucholz (15)
            P - P. Hughes (18)
            P - D. Holland (20)
            P - M. Gonzalez (25)
            P - C. Tillman (28)

Bench - A. Russell SS (23)
            Bench - J. Bradley OF (24)
            Bench - C. Qualls RP (26)
            Bench - K. Gausman SP 29
            Bench - C. Gentry OF 30

All in all, I'm fairly happy with this team. But it has some major holes - mostly at the Saves slot. I do have first selection at FA's since I selected to draft last, and now that the Sox announced Lindstrom will be the closer, he's my first pickup.

I went with the same plan as last year - take Reyes and Pedroia 1st and 2nd to solidify the infield. I simply need both to be healthy as Reyes going down for two months killed me last year. Mauer, as early as he's picked, was actually the 3rd or 4th catcher off the board. I love the fact he's out from behind the plate and expect another 100 ABs from him this year to compile the Runs & RBIs.

Taking who I did eliminated the opportunity to get a stud pitcher, so I took an innings eater in Shields as my #1. Pitchers after that were somewhat taken by strikeout potential along with ST success (Pineda).

I've got lots of 3B options possible following this season, so I'm happy I didn't extend Machado when I had the chance. I was hoping to find a nice young 1B who'd be ready for when I lose Hosmer at the end of this year, but there simply aren't that many around. Best is Singleton, and he looks to be 3-4 years away from being an actual impact player in the majors - if it ever happens. I'm kind of hoping Russell takes the next step and is ready by 2015 and let me select a 1B in the draft as they are a bit more plentiful.

My starting pitching is a bit suspect, but I'm hoping for a few to take the next step as well as staying healthy. If they can play to potential, I could contend for the playoffs. If not, I'm done. I'm hoping to keep things close and have Holland come back 100% to give me a boost.
            Broo-tall is how this team went. Not one single hitter came close to not just my expectations, but national projections. Tons of time lost to injuries in big globs (1-3 months). I felt good about my steals situation considering a had quite a few players who've averaged 10-15 per season the past three years. But those players (Hosmer, Pedroia & Gordon) might only total 20 combined. Add in the decline of SBs by Reyes and Trout and I'm in the bottom-3 this year.

Power is pathetic here. Not one player is even close to pace other than Trout. I'm dead last in HRs & RBIs with no hope of getting out. Even Maur's been averaging 10 bombs or so the past few years and he currently stands at four. And I don't even want to talk about Will Myers. Ugh.

My pitching was doing great until Pineda got suspended and then injured. I dropped Qualls early since he only had 1 save the first month and an ERA around 9. Who knew that two weeks later he'd be dominant (well as dominant as Chad Qualls can be). Bucholz was garbage from the jump and I'm kicking myself for keeping him over Jon Lester. I also was expecting Holland back by July instead of September.

I'm scraping and crawling to get out of the bottom-two in the standings. Teams who win money and the bottom-two can only keep 6 players the following season while the middle-teams in the standings can keep 7. I purposely didn't move anybody at the deadline hoping to make that move in the standings. I'm getting there but it's going to be close.

I have one more year with Mike Trout on my roster - well not as a first round pick anyway. Three years with the best player and I haven't cashed in. Something's got to give. I almost shouldn't care about the keepers because each of my possible ones have had downturns this year and could likely be gotten anyway at a decent bargain next season.

But here's what I've learned this year:

1) Jose Reyes is no longer a 1st round selection in any format.
            2) Dustin Pedroia - see above.
            3) I took Joe Mauer early figuring he'll get an additional 100 PAs since he's not behind the plate. That didn't work and his power is nil for his position. He won't qualify at C next year either.
            4) Usually my bench after the draft is flooded with minor leaguers and I always get criticized for it. This year I actually had players who I could fill in. The result: worst record than I've had in the past, not as many keepable players and not as much fun. Go with what you like to do.

Unsatisfying season for me this year. I've had seasons in the past when I finished in the cellar but had fun because I was accumulating players with massive upside for next year. But that wasn't the case this season. It was a full blown bust and I need to clean house and get this train going again.

I'll check into my NL team tomorrow.

Comment

In my money league, I drafted pretty bad but I think I may still be able to pull out a 2nd place finish in the regular season.

Draft
              1. Hanley Ramirez...He's currently benched for Danny Santana
              2. Jacoby Elisbury....I almost dropped him, glad I kept him now.
              3. Dustin Pedroia....dropped him for Josh Harrison.
              4. Jose Fernandez...actually got lucky and picked up Garret Richards when he went down.
              5. Allen Craig....dropped, I refuse to comment on this guy.
              6. Matt Holiday...I almost dropped him but I stuck it out and he's starting to pay off.
              7. Eric Hosmer....see Allen Craig
              8. Josh Donaldson....I guess he's been ok. He seems to have alot of 0 for 4 nights though.
              9. Danny Salazar....I thought he would be better than Jose Fernandez. He is coming around though. Currently on waiver wire.
              10. Matt Kemp...somehow he managed to stay on my roster. He has picked it up though.
              11. Alex Cobb...Probably one of the best pitchers in baseball since Allstar break.
              12. Manny Machado....I dropped him in April. I don't think i'd ever draft him again. I think he's overrated.
              13. Sonny Gray...He is about to be dropped for James Paxton. It's too close to playoffs. His arm is dead and the A's know it.
              14. Jonathon Lucroy...probably my favorite draft pick this year.
              15. Andrew Cashner.....dropped
              16. Austin Jackson.....dropped
              17. Clay Bucholz....dropped
              18. Huson Street...I got a steal here.
              19. Kole Calhoun...He was recently dropped for Jorge Soler. I've added and dropped him a few times.
              19. Bobby Parnell....dropped
              20. Michael Pineda....possibly could be my new ace for playoffs.

My current team
              C. Jonathon Lucroy
              1B. Victor Martinez...somebody dropped him back in April
              2B. Josh Harrison
              SS. Danny Santana
              3B. Josh Donaldson
              OF. Jacoby Elisbury
              OF. Jorge Soler
              OF. J.D. Martinez
              UT. Matt Holiday
              BN. Matt Kemp, Hanley Ramirez

SP. Sonny Gray, Michael Pineda, Jacob DeGrom, Danny Duffy, Matt Shoemaker, Alex Cobb, Tanner Roark....This staff looks weak but it really has done a great job for the most part....plus nobody would trade me a pitcher. I thought I was toast after losing Jose Fernandez and I really thought I was done when Garret Richards went down.

RP. Zach Britton, Huson Street, Jake McGee
              N/A...James Paxton

It's funny how my top players all ended up being waiver wire players.
              "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

NL team up next. Pretty much the same question marks though some are in different positions from the AL...

C1 - W. Ramos $15
                C2 - J. Lobaton $1
                1B - M. Adams $5
                2B - J. Gyorko $10
                3B - N. Arenado $10
                SS - H. Ramirez $21
                MI - S. Gennett $5
                CI - I. Davis $7
                OF - R. Braun $43
                OF - B. Revere $21
                OF - D. Brown $10
                OF - C. Heisey $4
                OF - C. Young $4
                UT - T. Snider $1

P - M. Bumgarner $29
                P - A. Wood $21
                P - J. Teheran $18
                P - J. Henderson $18
                P - Z. Wheeler $15
                P - D. Gee $9
                P - E. Stults $4
                P - J. Niese $3
                P - T. Thornburg $1
                P - AJ Ramos $1
                P - R. Montero $1

Reserve - G. Polanco OF
                Reserve - K. Parker OF
                Reserve - T. Gwynn Jr OF
                Reserve - M. Wisler P
                Reserve - B. Beachy P

I went into this auction needing quite a few things: steals, saves, a monster hitter and a pure ace.

How did I do? I got the hitter in Braun, though he was the highest-priced player auctioned off. I didn't really care. Likewise with the pithcers. The best available all had question marks except for my #1 target.

Kershaw on the DL with a back issue. Cliff Lee pitching on a bad team and could be moved to an AL team at the deadline, Cole Hamels already on the DL. I wanted Bumgarner from the start as it dropped down to the likes of Homer Bailey & Jeff Smardzija after that. No knock against either pitcher, but neither is looked at as a CY possibility.

During endgame, I really needed steals and overbid Revere to get them. Didn't want to do it, but had to in order not to finish last. Same thing for Henderson & Wood. I couldn't get a closer and he was the last one left at the time. I had to overpay simply not to go into the season with a zero in that category. Same with Wood. It was late, teams had money left over and were willing to overbid. I had to take him to add some validity to my rotation.

I think I'm fairly balanced, but not that great. I'm hoping to finish in the top-5 with this team. But I'm not solid with saves nor can dominate enough in SBs to offset it. But when you finished dead-last the previous season, the only way to go is up, right?
                I ended up in 6th place with this team. Not too bad since I was dead last in 2013 out of 11 teams.

Injuries, injuries and more injuries crippled me a bit as well as younger players not coming close to what they did the prior season.

Catcher: Ramos was consistently visiting the DL. Lobaton sucked and FA pick-up Rene Rivera was just better overall than Ramos, and only cost a dollar.

First Base: I really needed Matt Adams to step up his game and show he's a legitimate 1B. He's in his contract year and I need to make a decision, which is now fuzzy because he did not reach expectations last season. Ike Davis was okay for what I paid for him, but he go moved to the AL, so he'll be off my roster.

Second Base: Scooter was better than expected. I'm anticipating a drop-off this year, but at $5 for an everyday player, he should still amass decent counting stats. Gyorko was another story. He was brutal and only the 10 or so HRs kept me from dropping him completely. I have him as one of my sleepers this year.

Shortstop: I loved Hanley at his price, but I traded him at the deadline being fully aware of his real life contract status and likelihood he'd be in the AL in 2015. I wasn't wrong.

Third Base: Arenado was solid if not better. His glove alone will keep him as an everyday player, but he also was hit by the injury bug and lost about a month's worth of time.

Outfield: Here's where it really go bad. I wanted high production from Braun, and while not terrible - certainly not worth the dollars spent at auction. Dom Brown - that's all that needs to be said there. Revere was my most risky and he actually panned out. He not only helped my overall average but his 49 swipes helped put me in the top-5 in steals. Heisey, Young & Snider - I hoped to get more PA's from all of them. it's these $1-$5 players that you need to step up and none of them did.

Looking at my staff, I did rather well.

Bumgarner was as good as I hoped while Teheran and Wood kept everything stable. I had a who's who of Mets's pitchers and didn't get much in return except for Wheeler's ability to get strikeouts. Niese was a solid value, but he's an injury risk. Needless to say, I was at the bottom of the saves category.

Bench / Minor Leauguers: I was excited when Polanco got called up and he started out hot. But he cooled off in a big way and was practically useless by year's end. Nobody else added much - if anything.

So that's what my team did last year.

As I realized I wasn't going to be in the money, I moved players at our deadline and hope my future's better. To give you a basic idea, I trated away...

Bumgarner
                Teheran
                Wood
                Hanley

Players of note that were sent my way were...

Wacha
                Kris Bryant
                AJ Pollock

My auction comes up first Saturday in April. I was unsure about Wacha, but he's got 6 Ks in 5 spring innings so far, so I'm hoping he'll be keepable. He's $22 which is a bit high, but if he's 100% it might be worth keeping since the NL doesn't have many aces to invest under $30. Hamels will likely go for a similar price but has much less chances for gaining wins. I may drop Wacha and hope to get him for $18-$20, but if I don't, the pickings become very slim and risky.

If Matt Adams stepped up last year, I'd extend him. But he's in his option year and I have to make a choice. I think I'll simply keep him for one more year at $5.Next up is Arenado. He's in his option year at $10, but I think I'll extend him a few seasons. Gotta like hitting in Coors and he's just entering his prime. I'd be $20 to hold him thru 2016 or $25 thru 2017. With third base fairly thin in the NL, if he swats .290 with 20+ HRs, he'll auction over $30 since there's still more upside.

I think I'm keeping Revere on two factors... 1) He'll play every day and 2) the Phils' offense isn't good, so he'll have to steal more bags to make things happen. I don't think it's a stretch to expect 45 SBs as a floor with 60 SBs as a ceiling. That could win me the category along with one more player. I'm unsure about Polanco, but he does offer 20/20 upside.

So, my keeper look like this:

1B M. Adams ($5)
                2B S. Gennett ($5)
                3B N. Arenado ($25) to keep him thru 2017
                OF AJ Pollock ($16) to keep him thru 2017
                OF B Revere ($21)
                OF G. Polanco ($10)
                P M. Wacha ($22)

Reserve: K. Bryant ($0)

With a team like this, I'm looking to get one of the top-5 closers. I hate going after them, but you need saves. I'm also looking at one more $10-$15 SP to solidify my rotation. After that, it's $1-$3 guys.
                Last edited by Ben Grimm; 03-15-2015, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Broo-tall is how this team went. Not one single hitter came close to not just my expectations, but national projections. Tons of time lost to injuries in big globs (1-3 months). I felt good about my steals situation considering a had quite a few players who've averaged 10-15 per season the past three years. But those players (Hosmer, Pedroia & Gordon) might only total 20 combined. Add in the decline of SBs by Reyes and Trout and I'm in the bottom-3 this year.

Power is pathetic here. Not one player is even close to pace other than Trout. I'm dead last in HRs & RBIs with no hope of getting out. Even Maur's been averaging 10 bombs or so the past few years and he currently stands at four. And I don't even want to talk about Will Myers. Ugh.

My pitching was doing great until Pineda got suspended and then injured. I dropped Qualls early since he only had 1 save the first month and an ERA around 9. Who knew that two weeks later he'd be dominant (well as dominant as Chad Qualls can be). Bucholz was garbage from the jump and I'm kicking myself for keeping him over Jon Lester. I also was expecting Holland back by July instead of September.

I'm scraping and crawling to get out of the bottom-two in the standings. Teams who win money and the bottom-two can only keep 6 players the following season while the middle-teams in the standings can keep 7. I purposely didn't move anybody at the deadline hoping to make that move in the standings. I'm getting there but it's going to be close.

I have one more year with Mike Trout on my roster - well not as a first round pick anyway. Three years with the best player and I haven't cashed in. Something's got to give. I almost shouldn't care about the keepers because each of my possible ones have had downturns this year and could likely be gotten anyway at a decent bargain next season.

But here's what I've learned this year:

1) Jose Reyes is no longer a 1st round selection in any format.
                  2) Dustin Pedroia - see above.
                  3) I took Joe Mauer early figuring he'll get an additional 100 PAs since he's not behind the plate. That didn't work and his power is nil for his position. He won't qualify at C next year either.
                  4) Usually my bench after the draft is flooded with minor leaguers and I always get criticized for it. This year I actually had players who I could fill in. The result: worst record than I've had in the past, not as many keepable players and not as much fun. Go with what you like to do.

Unsatisfying season for me this year. I've had seasons in the past when I finished in the cellar but had fun because I was accumulating players with massive upside for next year. But that wasn't the case this season. It was a full blown bust and I need to clean house and get this train going again.

I'll check into my NL team tomorrow.
                  Woohoo! Draft day today for my AL league...

I mentioned last year that I was happy with my team, and I was thoroughly disappointed, so I'm not going to do that this time.

Most of my hitters' contracts expired, so I was forced to keep mostly pitching. That pretty much dictated my draft philosophy this year - get early hitters to fill all of the holes I've got.

My keepers along with round were:

- M. Trout (6th)
                  - M. Betts (10th)
                  - P. Hughes (18th)
                  - D. Holland (20th)
                  - C. Tillman (28th)
                  - K. Gausman (29th)

I could only keep 6 since I finished bottom-two last year. Didn't really matter as I didn't really have a 7th player to keep anyway.

This year, I selected 5th in the order. For the past two years, I've taken Reyes and Pedroia 1 and 2 to fill the middle infield. I swore I wouldn't do that again.

Right off the bat, it was 1Bs going off the board. Miggy, Abreu & Encarnacion with Bautista taken as well. That left me without decent-average high-homer guys to take. I took Hanley Ramirez who, while starting in the outfield, qualifies at shortstop and maybe his injury risk goes down because of it. But my plan was to take hitters early since I have good value in my pitching already...

2nd round comes back to me, and it's already down to hitters like Longoria, Reyes and Adam Jones - none who I really felt I needed. So I went against my strategy and took Chris Sale off the board.

Round 3 comes up and now I once again go a bit against the grain since it hasn't worked the past two years. I take Dustin Pedroia. I'm hearing he's 100% past the thumb issue that crippled his bat last year. While I don't expect 15-20 SBs anymore, I think his bat will rebound close to what it was a couple of years ago. He was IMO the best option on the board at the time. Only other legitimate 2B were Kinsler and Kipnis and they both come with risks. I'll take the one on the best (on paper) offense.

Round 4 - final round of players who cannot be kept. I often take veteran closers in this position, and i did it once again. Many of the top ones were kept and there was only a handful or so that had the position locked up. I couldn't pass on Huston Street since he's usually consistent and plays on a team that will win games.

Pick 5 was tough. Everybody who could heavily help multiple categories is already gone. 1B was ripped apart between those kept and those taken early. If I miss on Hosmer, I might be relying on somebody like Ike Davis to be my main guy. I've had Eric Hosmer for years and even though early, I had to pull the trigger and hope that his '14 post season is a preview for his next couple of years.

I don't have a pick in the 6th round since I kept Mike Trout. I cannot be disappointed about that.

Round 7 comes up and the first wave of 3 catchers along with outfielders get nabbed. I didn't see anybody who really warranted a pick there offensively that I couldn't get later, so I had to think about it. I didn't want to do it, but I need saves and it's getting thin. I ended up struggling to take Fernando Rodney since I had him three rounds later last year. Not thrilled, but I have my two closers.

When the 8th round came up, I knew that I had quite a few 20/20 types but was more heavy on the speed than the power. I had to think long and hard about what I was going to do, but finally took Austin Jackson, who doesn't add to either stat category. But he's slated to hit at the top of a lineup that has good run producers, so it fills me to 3/5 of my outfield.

Round 9 pops up and the BPB (Best Player on the Board) is another outfielder. He fits my need for homers though he plays in a park that's not so friendly to that stat. But I needed the possibility of 25+ HRs, so I jumped on Oswaldo Arcia.

To finish out the first 10 rounds, I kept Mookie Betts who was a free agent signing last year. FA's who are kept must be held in the 10th round, so I didn't get a selection. I'm not too unhappy about that seeing how Mookie's been playing this spring.

Next group of picks coming up...

Comment

After a few slices of pizza and a nicely filled hoagie, it's time to get back to drafting...

What I didn't like seeing was Chase Headley getting taken last round. It left me with three choices at third base and I had to value what each player would give. One is an old veteran future HOFer who's one of the poster children for PEDs. Next one is a player who was a decent prospect 3-4 years ago, but hasn't been able to put together dynamic season in the majors. Third is also a highly-touted prospect who didn't do bad for me last year, but wasn't all that great either. After that, it's a barren wasteland of bench guys and cross-your-finger types. For round 12 I passed on the old guy (ARod) as well as Chisenhall. I had him last year and he didn't bury me, so I took Nick Castellanos. I felt he was in the best situation as so far as lineup strength and there's not much behind him to force him to the minors.

Round 13 had me looking at some holes. I needed a corner infielder as well as a middle infielder. I haven't taken a catcher yet, but the pickins are quite slim. I took this guy either round 3 or 4 last year and he completely failed. But this late, he's more of a bargain if he can simply keep his average up. I took Joe Mauer to be my corner infielder.

Round 14 led to an assault of whatever somewhat closers were available as well as some middle infielder roster fillers. I felt I was still a bit light in HR's so I figured it was a decent time to grab Colby Rasmus in that hitter-friendly park in Houston.

Staring at my players, I needed somebody to play middle infield. I was tempted to take a prospect here (Correa, Lindor, etc), but I couldn't do it. To get into the money, you need your roster full of as many active players as possible. I'm not a huge fan, but I had to grab Jed Lowrie simply because he'll get playing time.

It's been quite a few rounds, but I haven't checked up on my starting pitching in a bit. I kept four and added Sale, so I'm feeling okay. But I need to get some innings eaters just to fill up some stat lines. It was pretty easy at this point, since starters have been vultered, that I take Yovani Gallardo. I don't like the park he's in, but I do like his durability. If he can get 10 wins with this team, I'll consider it a win for me

Round 17 comes up and I hear crickets. Lots of meh players with no upside and marginal downside. I don't like downside, so I go possible upside. I take Danny Norris. He's been flat-out dealing this spring and last I heard earned his way to a starting spot in a rotation with good run support. Very happy with this pick.

Feeling a bit better about my team as I've been filling some major holes. This round - 18 - I don't get to select as I kept Phil Hughes. i don't expect what he did last year, but looking now, he'd be a 7th-10th round pick. Great value.

Next pick, I'm juggling three names. It gets to me in the 19th round and I need to assess what I've got and what I'd lose if I were to punt a position and/or stat category. I have no catchers and was semi-serious when telling the other guys that I'd be best with catchers who rarely played simply so the junk out there can't do enough damage against my BAVG. My plan was to wait until the end, but I couldn't do it. I took Jon Jaso in this slot simply to get the runs, RBI, etc he can give. Counting stats are huge and I think my everyday hitters can offset a catcher's low AVG.

For the 20th round, I kept Derek Holland. I'm a bit unsure about his win potential, but he looked great last year coming off surgery and his spring has me pointing him upwards.

Final rounds coming up next...
                    Last edited by Ben Grimm; 03-29-2015, 01:51 PM.

Comment

We're in the 20s now and this is where I intended to take shots on guys who have either a high pedigree or have looked outstanding this spring. My lineup and pitchers are fairly well set with just a couple needed to fill out my starters.

Round 21 pops and there's a run on 2nd catchers (we start 2) as well as some starting pitching. This kid may not start out on the roster opening day, but he's been very impressive to me this spring. I took Carlos Rodon to fill out my pitching staff. Even if he gets sent down, I think he'll be the first option back up once the injuries hit. I never pass on kids close to being ML ready who can carry a 9K:IP ratio.

With Jaso already on my team, I figured I'd go with the same franchise for my 2nd catcher. Rene Rivera was very solid for me in my NL league, so I'm familiar with him. Seeing that Jaso might DH full time with catcher eligibilty, I got two catchers fairly late who both could see 140+ games.

As we hit the 23rd round, it's becoming a barren wasteland when it comes to hitters. I needed to fill out my 2nd Utility spot and saw about 4-5 different hitters offering one-category potential. Not much to get excited about. Same goes with my pick. I took Jake Marisnick in hopes that he can get me 10+ SBs to help out.

As we enter round 24, I have a full roster. Next up is to fill out the 5 bench players. I was looking at grabbing one everyday pitcher, 2-3 everyday hitters and 2-3 prospects that can be called up fairly soon.

First off, I grab Jason Vargas from Kansas City. Low-ceiling starter who can at least eat some innings and not good enough that I'll feel bad replacing with a younger pitcher at some point.

Round 25 I jump on a catcher who I think can come up sooner rather than later. Blake Swihart. He's having a great spring at the plate and with Boston's #1 catcher dealing with health issues, I think he'll be up by mid-season.

Needing a backup at second base, the best available player was Jonathan Schoop. In the 26th round, it's low risk and if needed, he can provide some power.

I only had two picks over the final four rounds and I needed another player to maybe build around (since I'll be losing Trout at the end of this season). I'm banking on Texas not being very good, and with Beltre only signed through 2016, he could be a trade candidate at the deadline. Enter Joey Gallo. If he even gets a little playing time and looks like he can stay, he's a definite keeper for the next three seasons - especially in round 27.

Rounds 28 & 29. I don't have a pick because I kept Chris Tillman and Kevin Gausman in those rounds. I was a bit disappointed to hear that there's a possibility that Gausman is heading to the bullpen so that Ubaldo Jiminez can start. Big mistake for the O's in my opinion. But they invested money in him and will try to get all they can out of him. I still think Gausman will be in the rotation within a few months if Ubaldo is indeed in their plans.

Final round (30) is up and the board is quite barren. Basically, I can maybe use a reserve outfielder or first baseman. The outfielders remaining left very little to be desired. First base came down to Ike Davis and James Loney. Ike has more power potential, but isn't in a good hitting park and could be in a platoon. Loney's park isn't much better, but he's likely to see more at bats. So, James Loney it is to finish out my draft.
                      Last edited by Ben Grimm; 03-29-2015, 06:05 AM.

Comment

All in all, I'm fairly happy with my team. I am a bit light in power, but I'm hoping to offset that with high run scoring as I have a good amount of hitters who bat 1-2 on their MLB teams' lineups. I think I'm right in the middle with pitching and could be better than average if Norris and Rodon can be big contributors.

C - J. Jaso (19)
                        C - R. Rivera (22)
                        1B - E. Hosmer (5)
                        2B - D. Pedroia (3)
                        3B - N. Castellanos (12)
                        SS - H. Ramirez (1)
                        CI - J. Mauer (13)
                        MI - J. Lowrie (15)
                        OF - M. Trout (6)*
                        OF - M. Betts (10)*
                        OF - A. Jackson (8)
                        OF - O. Arcia (9)
                        OF - D. Pompey (11)
                        UT - C. Rasmus (14)
                        UT - J. Marisnick (23)
                        Bench - B. Swihart (25)
                        Bench - J. Schoop (26)
                        Bench - J. Gallo (27)
                        Bench - J. Loney (30)

SP - C. Sale (2)
                        SP - Y. Gallardo (16)
                        SP - P. Hughes (18)*
                        SP - C. Tillman (28)*
                        RP - H. Street (4)
                        RP - F. Rodney (7)
                        P - D. Norris (17)
                        p - D. Holland (20)*
                        P - J. Vargas (24)
                        P - K. Gausman (29)*
                        Bench - C. Rodon (21)

* - Player kept from last season
                        Last edited by Ben Grimm; 03-29-2015, 02:02 PM.

Comment

It sounds as though Rodon will start the season in AAA, so Jason Vargas gets the call as his replacement.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X