1910 - 1911 Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wade8813 View Post
    I have him listed as $2.00 million, but could be wrong. I believe that we had a slightly different rookie pay structure back in 1905, when he was drafted
    Found in 1906-7 offseason thread 1905 Rookie Draft, $2.000 salary.
    Will correct that unless someone disputes
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who get binary and those who don't.

Comment

• I saw the note about the 9c version; I have but won't have access until Sunday night.

As to going to v11, you semi lose the ability to use trilogy (a work around exists if you have v10). I know they applied a fix recently to v11 in relation to older seasons (I think there is a thread explaining on fans of diamond mind) prior to releasing the 1925 database. That could be a definite plus for v11.

SL

Comment

• Thanks Steve. If you can send the patch I'll see if that works.
        Dan
        CKL - Maloy Boys
        P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

Comment

• Here is an updated league file for those who have the game
          Attached Files
          Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Comment

• TRADE

Kumquats trade Fred Luderus to Inmates.
            Inmates trade Art Fletcher to Kumquats.

Ed to confirm.

Jack
            Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

• Inmates confirm

Comment

• play ball !!!

Comment

• I am now writing a very long detailed document discussing the state of the free agency process during the 1911 process from my perspective. I will be discussing and expanding upon posts 29, 59, 570, and 572 in the 1911 Free Agency Thread.

First of all, in post 49 the Kumquats were challenged for bidding on too many players such their total roster (28) and free agent bids (15) were over 35 players. The Kumquats said there was no rule on this and another owner offered Rule E (5) below as the restriction.

At no point during the free agency period may a team exceed 35 ACTIVE players on their roster. Players who do not play in a season in real-life will not be counted as active players for this purpose.

A player who is bid on is not an active player on a roster. A player is on a roster only after a high bid is accepted at the end of a particular case. In the Kumquat case, assuming they bid on 15 players, their roster was still at 28, not 43. They never added one player. It is not true that, as a player is bid on, he is added to their roster, and then removed once another bid is made. Since the Kumquats did not receive any high bids in the first round, their roster started at 28 and remained at 28 through that round. Based on the rules as written, they did nothing wrong.

Second, in responses to post #59 the Kumquats publicly removed themselves from the rest of the process. To be honest, we hoped the commissioner would step in and suggest that the situation did not deserve such punitive action and that he recommended action b, c, or d instead. However, I received no comment, publicly or privately, from him or anyone else about the severity of that self-induced sanction. Very disappointing.

Third, Rule 5 e does apply to signed free agents. I noted in post #570 that three teams signed free agents in excess of 35 before the end of the FA period. Those excesses should have been ruled invalid by the commissioner or his designee, and the players assigned to whomever had the second highest bid. Again, nothing was done.

What can be done now? Nothing about 1911. However, for 1912 I formally request that the rules regarding free agency be cleaned up and properly stated before the start of next year’s season.

Respectfully submitted, Jack
                  Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

• I definitely agree that there are issues with the rules being slightly unclear on occasion, and there are updates that get discussed in various threads but never make it to the official Rules section.

Whenever a team bids on a player, they have to be able to honor that bid. That means they have to have both salary space AND roster space for that player. Otherwise, everyone would just bid unlimited money on as many players as they want, and then just not sign them if it puts them over cap or roster restrictions.

A lot of this confusion was definitely my fault, and I apologize for that. That said, I did send you a PM significantly before that first round ended, explaining that I had messed up. Any self-imposed punishments were unnecessary (and really, we probably should just stay away from self-imposed punishment. Personally, because of the PM I sent you, I didn't even know you viewed your withdrawal as a punitive action).
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

• Also, Rich's comment from post 94 of the Free Agency thread is noteworthy

Originally posted by rmadachik View Post
                      Hey guys

Just wanted to give you a heads-up. I recently changed jobs, and the next several weeks are going to be totally insane for me. I will make sure to keep things rolling here, but I will definately need some help in keeping bids updated, as I will now be working during most of the times where we will need bid lists updated.

I apologize for this inconvenience.

Comment

• With regards to free agency - I still don't understand why this is so hard to wrap our minds around.....If we have 40 roster spots available to us, then we can only have bids out on enough players to put us at 40 active players. We discuss this every year, and every year we act like this is still some vague grey area. Every bid is placed with the expectation that that bid will be a winning bid. Owners are responsible for keeping up with their rosters so that we do not make bids for players that we cannot fit on our roster should they be won.

So now I will spend what little free time I have trying to re-word the rules thread so as to take away any possible interpretation of this rule that strays from this basic principle.

Don't make bids that will put you over the max roster size.
                        Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Comment

• I agree with Rich. How can you justify the possibility of winning players that put you over roster limit ?
                          Are you going to release extras?, Trade them?, say "never mind, I don't want so-and-so"?
                          While you don't "OWN" the player when you have high bid, you must realize that IF you win you will be over roster size.
                          If this continues to be a problem we might have to make the whole free agent process 1 player at a time.
                          BTW, can someone please explain their reasoning where they can win more than roster limits ?

Ed

Comment

• Rich - if you'd like, I can go over the rules, and then send them to you for approval. That should save you a lot of time.

I will say that separate from this issue, there are areas where the rules section is unclear, and I mostly go off memory of what we've done before, or dig through old threads to find your ruling.

Originally posted by buppers View Post
                            BTW, can someone please explain their reasoning where they can win more than roster limits ?

Ed
                            I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, however - as I understand it, teams are allowed to win more than the roster minimum during the main part of free agency. They just can't go over the roster maximum. The only time this changes is during the first free-signing period. Then, once everyone is up to league minimum, there is a 2nd free-signing period, where everyone can go up to the maximum. However, we haven't consistently done it that way, even after the rule was implemented.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wade8813 View Post
                              Rich - if you'd like, I can go over the rules, and then send them to you for approval. That should save you a lot of time.

I will say that separate from this issue, there are areas where the rules section is unclear, and I mostly go off memory of what we've done before, or dig through old threads to find your ruling.

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, however - as I understand it, teams are allowed to win more than the roster minimum during the main part of free agency. They just can't go over the roster maximum. The only time this changes is during the first free-signing period. Then, once everyone is up to league minimum, there is a 2nd free-signing period, where everyone can go up to the maximum. However, we haven't consistently done it that way, even after the rule was implemented.
                              But why do some owners feel they can bid on as many players as they want, where, if they were to win all, they would be clearly over maximum. With that bein case, I could bid $20.000 on everyone I want, then, of the ones I win, just choose who I want to keep and dump the rest.

Comment

• Gotcha. Yeah, I agree with you on that one. The other had also come up recently, as another sort of "winning more than the roster limits", so I figured I'd mention it

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X