Manny Ramirez and the HoF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny Ramirez and the HoF?

Manny Ramirez hit his 20th grand slam of his career last night putting him in posession of second place on the all time list, second only to the Iron Horse. It was suggested in the Red Sox forum that he could be on pace to earn a spot in the Hall of Fame.

He is only 88 home runs from 500, is only 161 hits away from 2,000, and has a .314 batting average with one batting title under his cap. He hasn't won the MVP award but has been pretty worth in his career. He has won a World Series MVP award.

Does he have enough momentum to make it into the Hall of Fame when he retires? Does he get in on the first ballot?
    Yes, he'll deserve to be in the HOF
    75.34%
    No, his numbers will not merit HOF induction
    24.66%
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Not gonna find too many people on this board who don't consider Manny a HoFer.
    "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

Originally posted by iPod
      I hope his recent BA struggles are NOT a sign of decline. Frank Thomas went from bring a .330 hitter to being a .275 hitter it seemed overnight.
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by iPod
        Does the fact that he hasn't won a gold glove nor has he won the MVP nor that he probably won't reach 3,000 hits take away from his Hall of Fame potential?
        Best posts ever:
        Originally posted by nymdan
        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Barring an unforeseen decline in his offenive production, he is a shoe-in in my eyes. And very likely, if he continues to accrue stats like he has in the past, a first ballot choice.
          "The big thing about (Roberto) Clemente is that he can hit any pitch. I don't mean only strikes. He can hit a ball off his ankles or off his ear." -Hall of Fame pitcher Juan Marichal

Comment

As a Sox fan I AM rather biased, but I think ManRam has definitely done enough to earn a spot in the Hall (as regulars in the Sox forum may know), if you ask me the question is, as efin98 mentioned previously, is he a first ballot HOFer. To me, all he has to do is crack 2000 hits, 450 homeruns and he's all but a lock, but I still think he's in now, just not on the first ballot.
            "Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson, Esquire (March 1, 1978)

Comment

Not first ballot depending on the year he's up for it, I should add. If its a year similar to this one coming (2006 Class), then he has a good chance of making it 1st ballot.
              "Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson, Esquire (March 1, 1978)

Comment

A lock, and a probable first ballot. Ramirez is the closest thing to Jimmie Foxx we've seen in our lifetimes.

Comment

Agreed

Originally posted by Cougar
                  A lock, and a probable first ballot. Ramirez is the closest thing to Jimmie Foxx we've seen in our lifetimes.

Absolutely.
                  Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
                  Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

Comment

Definetly similiar to Jimmie Foxx. Both are RBI-producing hitters and they can both hit it out the park. In my eyes Manny Ramirez is a second ballot Hall of Famer.
                    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

It would help if Manny won an MVP. I'm a HUGE Manny fan by he way. I've had him on my fantasy teams EVERY year I've played...
                      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                        It would help if Manny won an MVP. I'm a HUGE Manny fan by he way. I've had him on my fantasy teams EVERY year I've played...
                        Manny does not need an MVP to be a first ballot HOFer in my book.

This guy is absolutely incredible! Every time I see Manny the words "professional hitter" jump into my mind (no kidding).

He gets the job done time and time again. 20 grand slams, RBI Machine.

.315 lifetime average. One of only 4 active players to win the batting,HR, and RBI title at least once each in his career.

I know he may not be the most passionate player in the world, and sometimes it seems as if he doesn't even know where he is. But I think that actually contributes to his calmness and cool in tense situations. He realizes that it's just a game and I don't think he ever feels pressure!

I've always felt that he has been the best all around hitter in baseball the last ten years.

Plus I highly doubt that he ever took streroids, unlike Bonds and Giambi.

Although I think Albert Pujols has taken over the mantle of best all around hitter in baseball, I would still put Manny in the top three (though his avg is down this year, he's still leading the AL in HR and RBI).

I'll say it again: Manny Ramirez is one of the best hitters of our era and should be a first ballot Hall of Famer!!!
                        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                        2. Barry Bonds
                        3. Ty Cobb
                        4. Ted Williams
                        5. Willie Mays
                        6. Alex Rodriguez
                        7. Hank Aaron
                        8. Honus Wagner
                        9. Lou Gehrig
                        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice
                          Manny does not need an MVP to be a first ballot HOFer in my book.

This guy is absolutely incredible! Every time I see Manny the words "professional hitter" jump into my mind (no kidding).

He gets the job done time and time again. 20 grand slams, RBI Machine.

.315 lifetime average. One of only 4 active players to win the batting,HR, and RBI title at least once each in his career.

I know he may not be the most passionate player in the world, and sometimes it seems as if he doesn't even know where he is. But I think that actually contributes to his calmness and cool in tense situations. He realizes that it's just a game and I don't think he ever feels pressure!

I've always felt that he has been the best all around hitter in baseball the last ten years.

Plus I highly doubt that he ever took streroids, unlike Bonds and Giambi.

Although I think Albert Pujols has taken over the mantle of best all around hitter in baseball, I would still put Manny in the top three (though his avg is down this year, he's still leading the AL in HR and RBI).

I'll say it again: Manny Ramirez is one of the best hitters of our era and should be a first ballot Hall of Famer!!!
                          Yes, Manny is awesome. I was wondering, how many first ballot HoF position players didn't win an MVP?

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                            Yes, Manny is awesome. I was wondering, how many first ballot HoF position players didn't win an MVP?
                            Good question. Probably a lot. Just from recent memory we can start with Boggs. (obviously not including pitchers)

It's funny how people treat the MVP award. People say How can X be a hall of famer if he never won an MVP? Then I posted a thread stating my opinion that Juan Gonzalez is a HOFer.

When I say he won TWO MVPs, people say "he didn't deserve them anyway"
                            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                            2. Barry Bonds
                            3. Ty Cobb
                            4. Ted Williams
                            5. Willie Mays
                            6. Alex Rodriguez
                            7. Hank Aaron
                            8. Honus Wagner
                            9. Lou Gehrig
                            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice
                              Good question. Probably a lot. Just from recent memory we can start with Boggs. (obviously not including pitchers)

It's funny how people treat the MVP award. People say How can X be a hall of famer if he never won an MVP? Then I posted a thread stating my opinion that Juan Gonzalez is a HOFer.

When I say he won TWO MVPs, people say "he didn't deserve them anyway"
                              Oh, I'm not knocking Manny for not winning an MVP. He's had several MVP caliber seasons for sure. I don't don't know that many first ballot HoFer didn't win MVP. I'll have to go check...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X