Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your right catcher24, he hoped that time would be his greatest allie, that people would feel bad for him.

He was allowed on the all century team, he wrote his book and admitting that he did bet after years of flat out denial.

He made his bed, he has to lie in it.

He has his stupid "Hit King" store a block away from the HOF and that plus the hall of records for his on field accomplishments is as close as this man should get to being honored.

Comment

Donnybrook - No kidding? He really has a store a block from the HOF? I haven't made it to Cooperstown in 11 years, so wasn't aware of it. Rest assured, when I do make it back to Cooperstown, that will be one store I won't go into. Sure like some of the other ones, though. Spent a lot of time in them, drooling and wishing I was a millionaire!
      You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

Originally posted by catcher24
        dgarza - You didn't answer my question. Knowing how competitive Rose was (is), and knowing how badly he wanted to remain in the game and get elected to Cooperstown, do you really believe he would have caved in to Giamatti (and his lawyers agreed, as well) if baseball didn't have sufficient evidence to convict and ban him anyway? I say, no way he would have done that.
        Once again.,..not making "did he/didn't he"s based on character analysis. He could have gone either way. I don't know which way he went. So I don't "believe" or support either because I don't know. Nothing has been revealed TO ME.

But maybe you were there and witnesses all thing going down. I know I wasn't...

Comment

Originally posted by KHenry14
          I am glad to see that the Baseball HOF has stood up to him. I'd like to see us do the same.
          Stand up to a person who isn't even here? Is Pete a lurker? I don't get it. The BBFHOF has nothing to do with the players personally, it has to do with making BBF complete in its baseball-ness.

Comment

dgarza - Nope, wasn't there. Only wish I had been. However, I do tend to believe the investigator baseball hired, as well as Bart Giamatti and Fay Vincent, more than I will ever believe Pete Rose. But that's just one humble individual's opinion. BTW, if we are here at BBF to honor all things baseball, I think the most important thing of all is to honor the integrity of the game itself - which, again IMHO, leaves Pete Rose outside looking in.
            You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

I never liked Pete Rose when he was a player. I did not find his gambling on baseball in direct violation of the Prime Directives to be endearing. Nothing he has said or done since he has been declared ineligible has either made the guy seem more likable in my eyes or made him seem to be worthy of HOF induction.

The gambling is a clear reason why Rose should continue to be ineligible. But I could not sum up what I have disliked about Rose's denials, defiance and then his defiant reversal of his previous denials (i.e. his grudging admission, which he sold in a book).

But Jim Palmer put it very simply in some show ESPN ran when they aired "Hustle" (not the mock trial): Pete Rose does not have baseball's interests at heart, it's all about him. If he were to try to do more for baseball, it would be a lot easier to think about doing something for Pete Rose.
              Last edited by Skeeters Fan; 11-01-2004, 11:35 PM.
              Hit This Sign to Win a Free Suit

Comment

Rose...No....Shoeless Joe...maybe.
                "Ground ball toward second, Horace Clarke up with it and throws to first...inning over. One day they will consider Horace for the Hall of Fame, no doubt!"

Comment

I don't care what Pete did off the field (yes it was wrong) but if Barry Bonds is going to be a Hall of Famer (assuming he doesn't use steroids) why isn't Pete?
                  It's not the pace of life that I mind. It's the sudden stop at the life.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnybrook @ Second base
                    Nope never, he broke the one rule that gets you banned for life. Thats it case closed.

He is in the hall of fame in the hall of records. Thats as close as he should ever get.

And how do we know he only bet on them to win? The word of some degenerate gamblers?
                    The one rule??? No, the case is not closed.

I really hate it when people use that, "He broke the rules" excuse. No kidding. Remember, Ty Cobb was suspended in 1911 for fighting a spectator, and we believe he is one of the greatest players of all time.

Comment

MLB is basically begging itself to fall apart by keeping Rose and Jackson out.

Why do people give so much sympathy for Jackson because he was illiterate? Maybe if Commy would stop thinking about himself for 3 seconds, Joe Jackson would be in the HOF

Comment

Gonzo: I'm a little confused. Why shouldn't Barry Bonds get elected if he didn't use steroids? I see no correlation between that and Pete Rose betting on baseball. Far as I know, Bonds has never bet on baseball. Maybe I'm missing something here.Besides which, as a player (and I personally dislike Barry Bonds), Bonds is much greater than Rose ever hoped to be. Longevity doesn't always equate to quality. Also, I don't see MLB collapsing because they have kept Jackson and Rose out of the HOF. Jackson has been out ever since the Hall opened in 1936, and Rose since he was banned, yet attendance records continue to get broken - both in MLB and at the HOF. The only thing that will destroy the game is the combined greed of players and owners, which will eventually create another strike. Then you'll see fans leaving in droves (ala 1994).

Comment

Originally posted by catcher24
                          Gonzo: I'm a little confused. Why shouldn't Barry Bonds get elected if he didn't use steroids?
                          I mean to say that if Bonds is using steroids, he shouldn't be elected, but he should if he isn't using them.

Comment

OK, got it now. Thanks for the clarification!

Comment

The thing about Bonds and Rose is that one is on the ineligible list and the other is an active player. I don't see that Bonds is going to be put on the ineligible list regardless of his past or current steroid use.

Frankly, HOF and the ineligible players get more attention, not less with things the way they are... if Pete Rose hadn't been caught he would be old news by now. HOF is just 86ing the people on the list, not writing it...
                              Hit This Sign to Win a Free Suit

Comment

Pete Rose and Next Year's Election?

I just thought of a potentially interesting scenario with Pete Rose's Hall of Fame candidacy. If eligible, next year would technically be the last year he could be on the writers ballot, right? With an extremely weak entering class next year and the prospects that no one will be voted in (though Sutter looks well positioned for next year), coupled with the fact that it would be Rose's last year of eligibility and thus might receive some sympathy, anyone think it's possible that Rose could receive a large number of write in ballots? It's highly doubtful that he'd receive 75%, but I think the circumstances could lead to a noticeably high number of write in votes for Rose.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X