Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I grew up in the 80s as well in NY. Pete Rose wasn't even in the top 20.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post

      That shyster Dowd turned over every rock in Christendom looking for just such evidence and found none. I don't know how anyone could pay five seconds of attention to Pete Rose and still think he would do something like that. He'd set himself on fire first.
      He'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit.

      But he's still a creep.
      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
        That's certainly an interesting supposition.

        The strike-shortened 1981 season was the Pete Rose's final productive season, though he would play for 5 more years. Rose was 40 years old and had just set the all-time National League hits record, surpassing Stan Musial. (Rose was 3rd overall behind Cobb and Aaron.) Rose had one year remaining on his four-year contract. Knowing Pete as we do, it's hard to see him not challenging Ty Cobb's record, much less passing on a $750,000 salary to play in 1982. Certainly Rose didn't believe he was washed up.


        I can't imagine anyone at that point not wanting to challenge the record. I can't imagine someone spending literally half their life in the Majors and playing so hard to get to the threshold of what at the time was considered (rightfully so) a Hallowed record...and not trying to see it through. He knew he wasn't the Pete of old, but why not go after the record. That's like someone getting to 729 HRs or so...and having teams still willing to hire you...and quitting. I can't see it.

        Concerning the OP: I'm a "on-the-field" HoF guy. Pete is in my Hall for sure.

        Comment


        • Similar to Bonds, you know they're going to get in eventually. You just know it's going to happen, but everybody's waiting for them to die so they don't get the pleasure of actually getting inducted.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Bamay22 View Post
            Similar to Bonds, you know they're going to get in eventually. You just know it's going to happen, but everybody's waiting for them to die so they don't get the pleasure of actually getting inducted.
            I don't see evidence of this. I've heard very few people - and every fan has an opinion on this - who hold the position "elect him, but only after he's dead". Shoeless Joe Jackson has been dead for 70 years and in all that time it's only become more difficult for him to be elected.
            "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
            "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
            "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
            "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

            Comment


            • Continuing my Rose rants:

              What I'm about to say would/could be true for a lot of players, but I think it's most true about Rose.

              If baseball/Rose knew about and/or emphasized OBP, OPS, advanced metrics, etc...I can think of no other person more ready willing and able to exploit those things than Rose.

              Rose wanted to be the best. To be thought of as the best. But more he wanted to be thought of/seen as trying his absolute best and exploiting the game on the field the best way he could within his abilities. I can see Rose walking quite a bit more in his early years. IF that's what was en vogue, if that's what chasing Cobb or the other greats meant, then he'd do that. He chased Hits and Batting Average because that was the lingua franca of baseball in his day.

              Rose starting his career in 1996 would still be just as amazing and would have that same marvelous 17 straight-years of...wow...but it would look more like what modern baseball obsessives are looking for.

              Comment


              • Given that people who who watched Rose play in his prime (1965-1979) are mostly collecting Social Security checks today, that baseball fans have spent more than three decades discussing Rose almost exclusively for his various sins, and that a combination of those two phenomena focus a lot of discussion on his player-manager days and pursuit of Cobb's record (when he was a shell of his former self), it wouldn't be at all surprising if Charlie Hustle has, indeed, become underrated as a ballplayer.

                Yet he belongs among the top 100 - possibly top 50 - players in baseball history. His 1965-1979 streak was incredible and Rose's extended greatness throughout most of his career is what even put him in a position to make 4,192 a possibility. It's a shame if people allow any bad behavior off the field to make invisible all the wonderful things he did on it. For a great many fans, Pete Rose was baseball.
                "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

                Comment


                • Pete Rose bet on his team to win. What about the games that Rose DIDN'T bet on? Did those games garner less of his management acumen? Rose is completely corrupt and his excuse of "MLB has no rehab for gambling" cuts no ice with me. Anyone who thinks that the Golden Era or Today's Game committees will vote him in should not hold their breath.

                  http://stevegallanter.wordpress.com

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Steven Gallanter View Post
                    Pete Rose bet on his team to win. What about the games that Rose DIDN'T bet on? Did those games garner less of his management acumen? Rose is completely corrupt and his excuse of "MLB has no rehab for gambling" cuts no ice with me. Anyone who thinks that the Golden Era or Today's Game committees will vote him in should not hold their breath.

                    http://stevegallanter.wordpress.com
                    First of all, Rose isn't eligible for any ballot. Unless the Hall changes its rules, no committee will ever have the opportunity to even review his case. Secondly, if they did rescind their prohibition against Ineligible List members, then Rose would be eligible for the Modern Era.

                    Also, I'm unfamiliar with Rose complaining that "MLB has no rehab for gambling". When was that? If true, that's an absurd thing for him to say. It's not as though Pete has to go through MLB in order to get help for a gambling addiction. I'm fairly certain 100% of gamblers anonymous-type organizations work outside the purview of Major League Baseball. Living in Las Vegas as he does, no doubt Rose sees advertisements for such programs daily.
                    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

                    Comment


                    • MY PRISON WITHOUT BARS contains Rose's thoughts on gambling rehab by MLB.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                        First of all, Rose isn't eligible for any ballot. Unless the Hall changes its rules, no committee will ever have the opportunity to even review his case. Secondly, if they did rescind their prohibition against Ineligible List members, then Rose would be eligible for the Modern Era.

                        Also, I'm unfamiliar with Rose complaining that "MLB has no rehab for gambling". When was that? If true, that's an absurd thing for him to say. It's not as though Pete has to go through MLB in order to get help for a gambling addiction. I'm fairly certain 100% of gamblers anonymous-type organizations work outside the purview of Major League Baseball. Living in Las Vegas as he does, no doubt Rose sees advertisements for such programs daily.
                        My bad on the "Golden Era." I stand corrected.

                        Comment

                        Ad Widget

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X