Andruw Jones in HoF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andruw Jones in HoF?

What are the chances for Andruw Jones to make it to the hall?

He already is closing to 300 HR´s, has 7 GG´s...odds are that when he retires he could possibly have like 10+ GG´s and 400+/500 HR. HoF worthy?
    Yes, he'll deserve to be in the HOF
    31.03%
    No, his numbers will not merit HOF induction
    68.97%

Unless he dies or something, he's well on pace

Comment

Jones already has 208 win shares and he won't turn 29 until April 23 next year! His counting stats are wonderful as he has played regularly in the majors and avoided the disabled list since he was 20 years old. He has not been among the league leaders, nor led the league in anything significant very much, though that will certainly improve as this year seems to be his breakout season. He's already won 7 gold gloves and, undoubtedly, has another on the way this season. Having 8 would mean only 4 outfielders have won more (Clemente, Mays, Kaline and Griffey Jr.).

Jones is having one of the all-time great pre-age 30 careers. He's set himself up for a very good run at Cooperstown.
      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

His offensive numbers are excellant so far with 285 HRs, 1,367 hits, and a career .268 batting avg./.502 SLG/.344 OBP. Defensively he has won seven consecutive Gold Gloves, and should a few more before his career is done. His only drawback is that he hasn't won and MVP, but considering how well he has done without it who cares!

Unless he gets caught up in the era's troubles he should be a Hall of Famer easily.
        Best posts ever:
        Originally posted by nymdan
        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

I actually think that if he retired today, he'd be a HOFer. He's a very, very good hitter. Not a fabulous one, but decent. His fielding, however, speaks for itself. He's by far the best defensive outfielder in baseball today, and he may be up with Mays, Charleston and Speaker as the best ever. He is a surefire HOFer.

Comment

its a maybe. very good defensively. as to whether his offensive stats are going to be enough, well, we will have to see.

Comment

Before this year, Jones looked like he might turn out to be someone who was remembered for never quite living up to his superstar potential. A big, breakout, 50-HR season is just what the doctor ordered for his HOF chances. His prospects improve from decent to great.
              "The numbers are what brought me here; as it appears they brought you."
              - Danielle Rousseau

Comment

Below average batting average. Batted .300 only once. OBP right at league average. 114 career OPS+, without a decline phase. Only one top 10 MVP finish, 8th place 5 years ago, though he'll certainly finish top 10 this year, probably amongst the top 5. Despite being a pure slugger, he's finished in the top 10 in home runs twice in 8 full seasons, 9th in 2002 and 10th in 2003, though, again, he'll definitely be top 10, almost definitely top 5, in homers this year. With homers come RBI's, traditionally... Jones has been in the top 10 in RBI's only once, 7th place in 2003. The only statistical category Jones has led in his career thus far has been games played, in 2000.

Sorry.
                "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

If Max Carey can get in on the basis of his defense, then I think Andruw Jones should be able to, too. He's certainly no all time great or first tier HoF'er, but he definitely deserves to be there, even though he is only a mediocre hitter.

He's arguably a top 5 all time defensive CF, and the other four are already in the Hall (Speaker, Ashburn, Carey, Mays).
                  "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Jones has been a better hitter than Brooks Robinson, and probably equal his value as a defensive player.
                    "The numbers are what brought me here; as it appears they brought you."
                    - Danielle Rousseau

Comment

Originally posted by mac195
                      Jones has been a better hitter than Brooks Robinson, and probably equal his value as a defensive player.
                      I wouldn't say that.

They both rank among the greatest all time defensively at their positions, though probably not at the very top (I think Brooks is a bit closer to the best defensive 3B ever, Pie Traynor, than Jones is to Speaker). However, a stellar defensive 3Bman is always more valuable than a stellar defensive CF'er.
                      "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
                        I wouldn't say that.

They both rank among the greatest all time defensively at their positions, though probably not at the very top (I think Brooks is a bit closer to the best defensive 3B ever, Pie Traynor, than Jones is to Speaker).
                        So close he's better

< However, a stellar defensive 3Bman is always more valuable than a stellar defensive CF'er.>

Actually a 3B handles about three plays a game or a little under, a CF handles about three plays a game or a little over. If a 3B mishandles a grounder, it's usually one base. If a CF mishandles or can catch up to a fly, it's more than one base
                        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

--A CFer handles a few more chances than a thirdbaseman most of the time, but the 3B's chances are generally more difficult ones. That said, I think it open to question as to whether a great defensive 3B or CF is more valuable. I'm inclined to say its the CFer in the modern game. The 3B may have the edge historically (by a good margin in the deadball period).

Comment

Let me just put it this way... if you're going to put Andruw Jones in the Hall of Fame, you'd better put Jim Edmonds in there too. I don't see anyone around here saying that Jim Edmonds is a Hall of Famer.
                            "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

--Jones should have another 10 years to build his resume. Edmunds is much closer to the end and didn't get off to a great start, plus missed alot of time to injury. He wouldn't be the worst CF in the Hall, but he'll probably have to settle for being one of the better ones not to make it (and he won't be the best of that group).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X