Derek Jeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derek Jeter

Unless he goes into a massive slump, Derek Jeter will get to 120 R and 200 hits this year (needs, in the last five games, three hits and one run). That would make him only the fifth player since WWII to accomplish such a feat three times in his career... joining ARod, Paul Molitor, Pete Rose, and Stan Musial.

Anybody say he's not a HoF'er?
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

He is a first ballot HOFer and his number will be retired by the NYY. Anybody that says otherwise do not know what they are talking about.

Comment

Derek is a TAD overrated because of the glamour of playing for championship clubs in New York -- but, yes, he's a Hall of Famer in my book.

Comment

He'd really have to screw up not to make the first ballot at this rate.

Comment

Maybe a steroid cloud will form over him someday....

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
            Maybe a steroid cloud will form over him someday....
            Only if he exploded for 55 homers next season! Naah, his numbers look legit.

Comment

He'll be a Hall of Famer. At least I think he deserves it more than Don Mattingly. At least the Yanks have been winning during Jeter's tenure. He's a lock for the HOF, assuming he doesn't break his legs or something.
              WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

1st ballot. He is a bit overrated, but still good enough. He's also the posterchild for a great run as well as the game in general
                THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

He's a lock.
                  "Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you. What's that you say Mrs. Robinson? Joltin' Joe has left and gone away. Hey hey hey."

Comment

I'm glad you asked, El Halo. Ed Bradley interviewed him on 60 Minutes this past week, and introduced him by saying that he was "destined for the Hall of Fame." I wanted to take the temperature on this board to see what they thought also.

I believe his skills and leadership make him a legitimate Hall of Famer. The only negatives I could come up with were that he was not consistently thought of (outside of New York) as the best shortstop of his time. That fell to Cal Ripken, Alex Rodriguez, Miguel Tejada, and who knows, defensively maybe Omar Vizquel at one time or another. Some wanted to continue holding that laurel over Rodriguez' head even after he moved to third base.

Somebody else can run the numbers if they want (I'm too lazy this morning), but yes, definitely.
                    "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
                    --Bob Feller

Comment

I can see him getting in on his 2nd try and everybody making a stink about it, that it was either too soon or not nearly quickly enough.

Comment

He'd have my vote - if I had one.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Chance
                          I'm glad you asked, El Halo. Ed Bradley interviewed him on 60 Minutes this past week, and introduced him by saying that he was "destined for the Hall of Fame." I wanted to take the temperature on this board to see what they thought also.

I believe his skills and leadership make him a legitimate Hall of Famer. The only negatives I could come up with were that he was not consistently thought of (outside of New York) as the best shortstop of his time. That fell to Cal Ripken, Alex Rodriguez, Miguel Tejada, and who knows, defensively maybe Omar Vizquel at one time or another. Some wanted to continue holding that laurel over Rodriguez' head even after he moved to third base.

Somebody else can run the numbers if they want (I'm too lazy this morning), but yes, definitely.
                          Agreed, at least in part. I don't consider Ripken a contemporary of Jeter since Ripken was in steady decline when Jeter entered the league. As for A-Rod. There really is no shame in being 2nd in the league to A-Rod, as I think anyone with the exception of Honus Wagner would be 2nd in a league to A-Rod.

As for Tejada...I think I agree that Tejada is the better SS now since his numbers are too impressive to ignore, but you ever notice how unimpressive his OPS+ is compared to the numbers he puts up? 109 career OPS+ with a career high of 126 (last year, and he might not do any better than that this year). Something just doesn't seem right with that, given Tejada's power and run production numubers. Jeter in comparison has a career OPS+ of 121 with a career high of 161 and four seasons at or better than Tejada's best.

Comment

Jeter's a definite first ballot HOFer

But the 120 runs, 200 hits? Those are arbitrary cutoffs. They don't mean anything. Why 120 runs? Why not 117? Or 103? Or 99? What's so special about 120 that makes it this magic cutoff? If a guy were to have 119 runs and 201 hits, he wouldn't fit the bill? (Nevermind that runs are a team-dependent stat and therefore mean nothing)

Comment

He's deserving of the Hall, and he'll probably go in sooner than he might if he put up the same numbers in another city.
                              "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                              Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X