Why no attention to Larry Doyle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mwiggins View Post
    The Dodgers of the Ott/Hubbell era are probably largely forgotten in NYC, as well. I would guess that Ott and Hubbell have more name recognition among NYC baseball fans than the Dodgers stars of their that era like Camilli and Mungo.

And the Robins/Superbas/Dodgers stars from before that like Wheat, Rucker, Herman, Grimes, Vance, and Daubert are largely forgotten as well.

Compare how much Brooklyn fans push Gil Hodges for the Hall vs. how much they push Jake Daubert. Daubert had nearly as good a career in Brooklyn as Hodges did, but he gets none of the "Brooklyn Dodger" hype.
    True enough. The sportswriters of that era have all passed from the scene, and most all of them have now died. It was the Roger Kahns et al that kept the memory alive. I grant you that 51 years in a city is a long time, but that's how long the Dodgers have been in Los Angeles; indeed, if you base your count from 1901, the Dodgers have been in LA only 6 fewer years than they were in Brooklyn.
    "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X