Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yanks0714
    replied
    Of those mentioned so far Jim Rice is the least deserving. Dale Murphy nor Andre Dawson either although Hawk b4 Murph if either gets elected.

I have little or no trouble with the others although to be honest about it I don't see Blyleven and John although I won't bemoan the fact.

I like Trammell, Sutter, Smith, and Gossage. I think Wil Clark deserves close attention.

Leave a comment:

• J W
    replied
    Here's an interesting link from a player's perspective:

Wade Boggs & Ryne Sandberg

First off, it talks chiefly about Boggs and Sandbergs' desire to have Pete Rose in the HOF. Boggs feverishly supports it--Sandberg is more reserved but says "it's a matter of time before baseball excuses him". Well, Rose didn't make his last chance ballot with the writers.

They also mentioned six names, and wouldn't you know it:

Bert Blyleven
    Andre Dawson
    Goose Gossage
    Jim Rice
    Lee Smith
    Bruce Sutter

...the six closest to election.

Leave a comment:

• J W
    replied
    If anyone's an ESPN insider, I'd like a link to Rob Neyer's article. Neyer is noted in both jounalistic and sabermetric circles... and is one of the leaders of the anti-Jim Rice crowd.

All I know from the tidbit on this link is:

- 14 holdovers are worth looking at (everyone but Willie McGee)
    - 2 of the newcomers (Belle, Clark) are worth discussion
    - The top five left from last ballot (Sutter, Rice, Gossage, Dawson, Blyleven) have the best shot this year
    - Rice should rank behind Will Clark

Leave a comment:

• J W
    replied
    Thanks for the thread and the links, Brad!

Here's one from Gene Collier of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

Andre Dawson
    Lee Smith
    Bruce Sutter

Collier makes Mathews look like an inclusionist... and he's a voter. I can understand his point of view, put elegantly by several members of our board--but I would say this article, which goes all over the place, isn't very good. I almost didn't catch his actual ballot and originally had Jack Morris posted (who earlier in the article Collier says he's voted for in the past).

Two points: 1) If you didn't vote for Eckersley or Molitor, why are you including Smith and Dawson? 2) If you go through a big routine about an epiphany, why are you sticking with last year's ballot? Is it sarcasm? If it is I can't tell.

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    replied
    Bob Matthews, Rochester (N.Y.) Democrat and Chronicle
    Linked through Cincinnati Enquirer
    Bert Blyleven
    Andre Dawson
    Rich Gossage
    Tommy John
    Jim Rice
    Bruce Sutter

Most of Matthews' article is spent bemoaning the lack of quality candidates this year (by way of comparison to the following year's ballot.)

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    replied
    Bruce Markusen, Cooperstown Confidential
    (Bruce works for the Hall of Fame, but is not a BBWAA member.)
    Bert Blyleven
    Rich Gossage
    Dale Murphy
    Jim Rice
    Alan Trammell

Markusen is a noted author, historian and baseball researcher. He notes that he would vote, were he able, for "at least" the five listed.

A link to the article.

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    replied
    Ken Rosenthal, FOXSports.com
    Bert Blyleven
    Andre Dawson
    Rich Gossage
    Jim Rice
    Lee Smith
    Bruce Sutter
    Alan Trammell

Here's the link to his explanations, primarily centered around why he's added Jim Rice back to his ballot after a long absence.

Rosenthal has been a Hall of Fame voter since 1997.

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    started a topic Published ballots for 2006

Published ballots for 2006

Each year a number of BBWAA voters publish their Hall of Fame ballot in the local paper or online. I thought this thread would be a good clearing house for collecting those published ballots. Please feel free to add to this list as you come across any. Please also provide a link, or citation to the source, if possible.

Thanks!

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X