Ranking Top 50 Current Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranking Top 50 Current Players

How would you rank the Hall of Fame chances of current players? I haven't come up with my own list year, but I'm guessing that it starts with Roger Clemens at number 1.

IMO 50 current guys is too many to rank with any degree of certainty. The following guys are locks, or should be considered at least very likely to get in, aside from steroids issues etc. in no order:

clemens
    r. johnson.
    p. martinez
    maddux
    rivera
    glavine
    bonds
    sosa
    m. ramirez
    a. rodriguez
    bagwell
    biggio
    f.thomas
    v. guerrero
    a. pujols- barring injury or death of course
    jeter
    i. rodriguez
    k. griffey

the following guys have anywhere from a rather faint to a quite decent shot
    schilling
    delgado
    garciaparra
    t. hoffman
    tejada
    smoltz
    j.kent
    b. williams
    sheffield
    c. jones
    a. jones
    i. suzuki
    j. thome

i may have missed some, and for some guys it's too early to tell, but those are my best guesses.
    Last edited by oscargamblesfro; 01-07-2006, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Any list starts with Barry Bonds.

Comment

Originally posted by oscargamblesfro
        IMO 50 current guys is too many to rank with any degree of certainty. The following guys are locks, or should be considered at least very likely to get in, aside from steroids issues etc. in no order:

clemens
        r. johnson.
        p. martinez
        maddux
        rivera
        glavine
        bonds
        sosa
        m. ramirez
        a. rodriguez
        bagwell
        biggio
        f.thomas
        v. guerrero
        a. pujols- barring injury or death of course
        jeter
        i. rodriguez
        k. griffey

schilling
        delgado
        garciaparra
        t. hoffman
        tejada
        smoltz
        j.kent
        b. williams
        sheffield
        c. jones
        a. jones
        i. suzuki
        j. thome

i may have missed some, and for some guys it's too early to tell, but those are my best guesses.
        Good list but do you think Ichiro will put up the career #'s to get in?

I also think Thome, Kent and Sheffield will definitely get in..

I would also add Mike Piazza to the "definite" list and Todd Helton to the "maybe" list...
        "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
        ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox Rule
          Any list starts with Barry Bonds.
          I disagree, for two reasons:

1) Media dislikes him
          2) All the steroid speculation

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
            I disagree, for two reasons:

1) Media dislikes him
            2) All the steroid speculation
            I wrote that when I thought this thread was about the top 50 active players, not best HOF chances.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseball Guru
              Good list but do you think Ichiro will put up the career #'s to get in?

I also think Thome, Kent and Sheffield will definitely get in..

I would also add Mike Piazza to the "definite" list and Todd Helton to the "maybe" list...

i would agree about piazza, i forgot about him, and add helton to the maybes...i would put thome, kent, and sheffield near the top of the maybes, or perhaps one foot in the likely or definites and one in the maybe is more accurate, but you may very well be right .

as for ichiro, it's hard to say, he may not, but then neither did kirby puckett in some regards, though of course he was a great player and deserves it IMO- albeit one with a brief career, injury or not. i know ichiro is not the most popular guy amongst many sabermetrics proponents. still, if he declines slowly, if they take his japanese career into account, which they may or may not, and he puts up good numbers and plays say into his 40's as at least a pretty good to very good player -he has a pretty good shot, i think.
              Last edited by oscargamblesfro; 01-07-2006, 03:12 PM.

Comment

I would add Jim Edmunds, Omar Vizquel, Bobby Abreu, Mike Sweeny, Julio Franco, Kenny Lofton, Garrett Anderson, Moises Alou, Steve Finley, Luis Gonzalez, Juan Gonzelez, Kevin Brown, Mike Mussina, Andy Pettite, Bartolo Colon, to the have at least a tony chance group.

Are we still considering Palmeiro active? If so, he goes in as well.

Comment

oh yeah, palmeiro too, aside from how the steroids thing turns out of course..

Comment

If this is is a chance list, and not a deserve list...
                    I'll do top 10 now, next 10 when I get back home.

1. Roger Clemens - sports writers think he invented pitching

2. Alex Rodriguez - Assuming health, he might be a top-5 ever player. Many in the media do not like him, but not enough to lower his chances.

3. Barry Bonds - despite all of the media who alegedly dislike Bonds, he still gets a free pass from many, and his accomplishments are too impressive to overlook, even with a steroid adjustment. Without the controversy, Bonds would be #1 easily.

4. Randy Johnson - His k rate and intimidation factor will make him an even more likely candidate over Maddux, who had the superior career.

5. Greg Maddux - despite his accomplishments, he is still slightly underrated.

6. Ken Griffey Jr. - His injuries will make a small impact, but the 10 year perception that Griffey was one of the best ever is hard to shake. No controversy either.

7. Mike Piazza - his horrid defense will make little dent in his overall
                    perception.

8. Pedro Martinez - his percieved lack of durability keep him out of the Clemens - Johnson- Maddux range.

8. Ivan Rodriguez - though more complete than Piazza, I-Rod was never the big market player.

9. Derek Jeter - his quality talent, big plays, and New York mystique will overrate him, though dersving of a spot.

10. Sammy Sosa - until a smoking gun arrives, there is no reason for writers to keep him out. An official steroid accusation will change things dramaticaly.
                    Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 01-08-2006, 09:03 PM.
                    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Here is 11 - 20:

Remember, this is the order in which I think their chances are greatest based upon current voting trends, not who I personaly feel should make it.

11. Craig Biggio - Craig is close to 3000 hits, and once he gets it, he will skate into Cooperstown, even if others deserve it more. I think Biggio is slightly more likely to get his 3000 hit than Glavine his 300th win.

12. Mariano Rivera - His post-season success will make him an easy pick for an already east-coast biased media.

13. Frank Thomas - The lasting images of the injuries on top of what was already an underapreciated career will make Thomas less than the sho-in case he should be.

14. Tom Glavine - Will move up if/when he gets 300 wins. If not, his 5-20 win seasons, W.S MVP, and two Cy Youngs will be enough.

15. Manny Ramirez - Manny has that personality that writers love, even though they say they don't. Manny and his offense are great, and he has benefited from being on that mythical 3004 Red Sox team.

16. Jeff Bagwell - Still underrated, Bagwell, despite being one of the best all-around first basemen ever, may have to wait several years to make it. Playing in the Astrodome may have been the worst thing for his career.

17. Vlad Guerrero - Vlad is only one year away from gaining his 10 year eligability. Once he reaches this milestone, it is only a matter of time. Pujols still has 5 seasons until he reaches the 10 year minimum.

18. Curt Schilling - Writers may overlook his durability problems (only six 30 start seasons), personality problems, and only remember his few complete seasons and that bloody sock.

19. Rafael Palmeiro - Despite steroid controveresy, Ralfy might have just enough numbers to get in. Much depend on whether or not McGwire gets elected.

20. John Smoltz - Maddux and Glavine's elections might help Smoltz get in. Sportswriters love those Eck comparisons.
                      Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 01-08-2006, 09:06 PM.
                      1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                      The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Roger Clemens-duh
                        Randy Johnson-double duh
                        Barry Bonds-even with the steroid suspition, hes a shoe-in.
                        Pedro Martinez-at the end of his career, he will be a top 10 pitcher all-time
                        Mariano Rivera-He is the best closer of all-time. enough said.
                        Greg Maddux-had a very good career ERA and enough credentials to get him in.
                        Alex Rodriguez-Will be in the top 5 all-time position players at the end of his career.
                        Derek Jeter-If gary carter is in than so is he.
                        Gary Sheffield-maybe not the first ballot but definitely 2nd or 3rd.
                        Sammy Sosa-Same as above.
                        Mike Piazza and Ivan Rodriguez-can join bench and berra as best catchers of all-time.
                        Rafael Palmeiro-writers will never vote him in but he should be voted in.
                        Yankees '09

Arod, CC, AJ, DJ and Tex

Comment

Oh how things have changed since 2006...

I don't know if we can call Clemens, A-Rod and Sheffield locks anymore.
                          My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                          2. Barry Bonds
                          3. Ty Cobb
                          4. Ted Williams
                          5. Willie Mays
                          6. Alex Rodriguez
                          7. Hank Aaron
                          8. Honus Wagner
                          9. Lou Gehrig
                          10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Using oscargamblefro's list as guide, in 2006, I would have agreed with him on all of his yes's. Now that it is 2010 and the PEDS issue has really come to a head, the players in bold are the ones I still think should get in pretty quickly:

clemens
                            r. johnson.
                            p. martinez
                            maddux
                            rivera
                            glavine

bonds
                            sosa
                            m. ramirez
                            a. rodriguez
                            bagwell
                            biggio
                            f.thomas
                            v. guerrero
                            a. pujols
                            jeter

i. rodriguez
                            k. griffey

schilling
                            delgado
                            garciaparra
                            t. hoffman
                            tejada
                            smoltz
                            j.kent
                            b. williams
                            sheffield
                            c. jones
                            a. jones
                            i. suzuki
                            j. thome

I also do believe that Clemens, m Rodriguez, a Rodriguez, Bagwell, and Bonds will eventually be elected, but only after many years and a great deal of public debate and discussion. They are definitely not the 1st ballot locks that they once were. I'd also add Mussina, Vizquel, and Wagner to the maybe list.
                            Last edited by jjpm74; 10-06-2010, 09:02 AM.

Comment

1. Alex Rodriguez
                              2. Albert Pujols
                              3. Chipper Jones
                              4. Mariano Rivera
                              5. Ivan Rodriguez
                              6. Manny Ramirez
                              7. Derek Jeter
                              8. Roy Halladay
                              9. Vladimir Guerrero
                              10. Ichiro Suzuki
                              11. Scott Rolen
                              12. Todd Helton
                              13. Jim Edmonds
                              14. Trevor Hoffman
                              15. Billy Wagner
                              ---------------------------- my in/out line is somewhere between #16-18 ----------------
                              16. Johan Santana
                              17. Jorge Posada
                              18. Andruw Jones
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              19. Roy Oswalt
                              20. Joe Mauer
                              21. Carlos Beltran
                              22. Miguel Cabrera
                              23. Hanley Ramirez
                              24. CC Sabathia
                              25. David Wright
                              26. Mark Buehrle
                              27. Chase Utley
                              28. Bobby Abreu
                              29. Lance Berkman
                              30. Miguel Tejada
                              31. Mark Teixeira
                              32. Johnny Damon
                              33. Andy Pettitte
                              34. Adrian Beltre
                              35. Adam Dunn
                              36. Jimmy Rollins
                              37. Felix Hernandez
                              38. Troy Glaus
                              39. Tim Hudson
                              40. David Ortiz
                              41. Jose Reyes
                              42. Francisco Rodriguez
                              43. Ryan Howard
                              44. Evan Longoria
                              45. Tim Lincecum
                              46. Omar Vizquel
                              47. Joe Nathan
                              48. Cole Hamels
                              49. Jason Kendall
                              50. Jamie Moyer
                              Last edited by Chadwick; 10-06-2010, 12:27 PM.
                              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X