Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hall of Fame announced today @ 2 eastern...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattingly
    replied
    Moving here, from CE. Please keep all Cooperstown threads over here, folks.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Ursa Major
    replied
    Yeah, the holder of the record for a particular position ought to be in. And it's not like Smith is the reliever equivalent of Don "I Just Got the Stats Because I Wasn't Injured and Played a Long Time" Sutton.

McGwire's in. Toooooo many homers to ignore; and he's creditted with bringing baseball back after the strike. If Sutter gets in for "inventing" the splitter, McGwire gets in for that.

Leave a comment:

• BigStellyPADRES4LIFE
    replied
    Originally posted by Slightly Sarcastic
    The fact that Lee Smith wasnt even close is an absolute joke.

How the all time saves leader can be left off when Eck and and now Sutter are both in?

Because most people who watch baseball have a really lame and unfounded idea of what a closer is.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Originally posted by KingNothing13
    Next year will be interesting. Mark McGwire, Cal Ripken JR and Tony Gwynn from what I read on espn.com are all on it for the first time.
    I'm thinking that if McGwire doesn't wish to focus upon things he did in the past, well then, neither do I. I say they take their sweet little time on voting him in.

I say that his new slogan should be "Wait'll next year", then we'll see if he realizes that his skirting his past comes back to haunt him. Could take a chomp out of his memorabilia sales if he doesn't have that trophied Cooperstown enshrinement on his side.

Leave a comment:

• eddiejc1
    replied
    Originally posted by KCGHOST
    Somebody explain how Will Clark can only get 4.4% of the votes while Steve Garvey getss over 25%?
    The Dodgers are a more popular franchise?

Eddie Cunningham

Leave a comment:

• KCGHOST
    replied
    Somebody explain how Will Clark can only get 4.4% of the votes while Steve Garvey getss over 25%?

Leave a comment:

• KCGHOST
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
    Sutter has far and above the best shot. But would it be such a travesty if the Negro League players elected next month have the stage all to themselves?

Could be, if the only Negro Leagues elected are deceased. Only two of the candidates are still living.

Leave a comment:

• KingNothing13
    replied
    Ripken and Gwynn are in easy. Both will exceed 90 percent, with Ripken probably over 95%.
    McGwire will be interesting. His non-testimony in front of congress very well may have hurt him.

yeah, I agree. I meant interesting with McGwire. Ripken and Gwynn should be shoo-ins.

Leave a comment:

• trosmok
    replied
    Three right out of the gate

Thanks, Cap'n, I'll be curious to see if Ol' Buck O'Neil finally gets his due. For years the Hall depended on his selection to determine the Negro League inductees, and his modesty prevented him from nominating himself. Effa Manley might cause somewhat of a stir, but as a pioneer and innovator she was beyond compare. No other woman before or since has owned or managed a professional men's ballclub, and she was highly successful both in terms of wins as well as at the box office. The fellow I've been campaigning for since my youth may have a decent shot: James Raleigh "Biz" Mackey. Without him, the catcher position might never have seen the likes of Campanella, Bench, Berra, Munson, Santiago, Posada, Varitek, I-Rod, and any of dozens more that should thank him for modernizing the most thankless position in baseball.

I wonder if the BBWAA have decided they will only induct a maximum of one releiver/closer per year, much as they have done with SS/2B for decades.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by trosmok
    Right you were, CCN, but I was also pulling for Andre Dawson and Bly. I wonder if next year will be their year, same with Rice and Gossage. I've heard arguments both ways, and just no compelling reasons for or against for most of the borderline guys. Congrats to Mr. Splitfinger Sutter, and who might be joining him from the Negro Leagues? I didn't know it was their turn again.
    http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=36460

Leave a comment:

• trosmok
    replied
    Curiouser than most years

Sutter has far and above the best shot. But would it be such a travesty if the Negro League players elected next month have the stage all to themselves?
    Right you were, CCN, but I was also pulling for Andre Dawson and Bly. I wonder if next year will be their year, same with Rice and Gossage. I've heard arguments both ways, and just no compelling reasons for or against for most of the borderline guys. Congrats to Mr. Splitfinger Sutter, and who might be joining him from the Negro Leagues? I didn't know it was their turn again.
    Last edited by trosmok; 01-10-2006, 11:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Slightly Sarcastic
    replied
    The fact that Lee Smith wasnt even close is an absolute joke.

How the all time saves leader can be left off when Eck and and now Sutter are both in?

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by KingNothing13
    Next year will be interesting. Mark McGwire, Cal Ripken JR and Tony Gwynn from what I read on espn.com are all on it for the first time.
    Ripken and Gwynn are in easy. Both will exceed 90 percent, with Ripken probably over 95%.
    McGwire will be interesting. His non-testimony in front of congress very well may have hurt him.

Leave a comment:

• KingNothing13
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    Strangely, I thought there were TWO relievers on the ballot who deserved it more
    Wait a couple years. Gossage will get elected in 2008. Rice, probably, as well.

The voting:

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/news/2006/060110b.htm

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X