Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GOSSAGE Blast Voters After HOF Rejection!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOSSAGE Blast Voters After HOF Rejection!

The Colorado Springs Gazette is reporting that GOOSE GOSSAGE is a bit upset over the results of the HOF voting yesterday....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10806971/from/RS.1/

c.

I think the headline is a little harsh. upset, yes. But "blasts voters"? Didn't sound like he was really blasting anyone

Comment

Completely understandable response, I share his bafflement with the process sometimes.

Comment

Join the crowd.
        "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
        "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
        "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
        "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

"it's like they're playing games with guys' lives" is new york post-style hyperbole, at best (or at worse).
          "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

What a useless article. Wait a minute, you're telling me that Gossage is disappointed and even a little upset that he didn't get elected to the Hall of Fame? STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!

Comment

by the goose's own reckoning, he will not gain entrance.
              after all, like sutter, he hasn't saved any more games since retiring.
              "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Goose is not wrong, but I do wonder if it is constructive for him to vent so publicly.

Comment

I guess I didn't seeing anything in the article that showed Gossage "blasting" the voters. All I read showed a guy who was very disappointed, ut tried to say the right things.
                  Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

I didn't read the article, so you're probably right.

Then again, I didn't read the article because I've read 6 other interviews he gave recently where he showed a little less humility than some members of the BBWAA probably appreciate.

He's not wrong; just a little undiplomatic.

Comment

A few years ago Bert Blyleven did the same thing. If I'm not mistaken I think he even said that he didnt even want to be elected anymore.
                      Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggtone23
                        A few years ago Bert Blyleven did the same thing. If I'm not mistaken I think he even said that he didnt even want to be elected anymore.
                        He may not get his wish.
                        I'd be disappointed if I were Gossage, too. The guy is clearly deserving, and probably moreso than Sutter. He certainly has this site's endorsement over Sutter's, not that it means anything.
                        I hope his jusitifed bittereness doesn't show too much when he does get elected.
                        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

As Jeff Blair from the Toronto Globe and Mail said:

Why no Gossage? Simple. Sutter won the Cy Young Award in 1979. Gossage never won the honour. Sutter also placed in the top seven in balloting for most valuable player five times in an eight-year span, during an era when voters for individual awards (let alone managers) didn't know what to make of closers. He also revolutionized the split-fingered fastball. That makes him an innovator in addition to a superb performer, yet another reason to induct him.
                          I'm not saying I agree, but that's the mentality of the writers.
                          Last edited by runningshoes; 01-12-2006, 04:55 AM.
                          "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                          Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

In his tirade Goose also had this gem:

Hitting in a game is no different than hitting in a home run contest. It [ticks] me off to say Barry Bonds is the greatest hitter. He’s playing in a wussy era. The game is soft. You never get thrown at today. Last thing a hitter has to worry about today is getting hit. The first thing Hank Aaron had to worry about is: Am I going to survive this at-bat because I’m black.
                            As one BTF commentator put it "Ah, the good old days. The game is so soft black people don't even have to fear for thier lives anymore."

Comment

Ugh. Well, nobody ever said Goose was the classiest guy in the game.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X