This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is he always overlooked?

Step out of the dugout with me and let's sit up in the bleachers with the fans for a moment. The Hall of Fame is all about impact players stepping up when a hero is needed. The 1992 Blue Jays were teeter-tottering between the first and second place in the Al East during mid-July, when a two-out single gave the Jays a 6 run lead in the bottom of the 6th inning versus the Detroit Tigers. This was the catalyst that drove the Jays to that second trophy. The man responsible:

Rance Mulliniks.

Rance batted .500 that year, and that single turned the city of Toronto into a community of believers. How could a man who batted .500 in the 1992 season not be considered worthy of Cooperstown? Speak on it.
    "This is quite possibly the best baseball team we will ever see in our lifetimes, folks".

-My dad in our living room after the 1988 Blue Jays finished 3rd in the AL East.

You're kidding, right?
    2016 World Series Champions

Comment

I wish I was, but the history has been written in stone. In 1984 he batted .324 with only 24 SO in 343 AB. That's incredible. He hit over .300 5 times in his career- more than many can say.
      "This is quite possibly the best baseball team we will ever see in our lifetimes, folks".

-My dad in our living room after the 1988 Blue Jays finished 3rd in the AL East.

Comment

Originally posted by CubbieFan7
        You're kidding, right?

Comment

Huh?

Comment

Re: Why is he always overlooked?

Originally posted by Base On Balls

Rance batted .500 that year, and that single turned the city of Toronto into a community of believers. How could a man who batted .500 in the 1992 season not be considered worthy of Cooperstown? Speak on it.
            You failed to mention that he only had two at bats that season and only one base hit. Not what most people would consider a career year.

He played 16 years in the majors and hit .272 with 73 HRs and 435 RBI. I don't think these numbers would translate into a HOF career by any stretch of the imagination. But you are entitled to your opinion, I just don't think many people will agree with you, other than perhaps Don Sutton, who could never get him out.

And by the way, welcome to Baseball Fever.

Comment

Hey, after we put Rance Mulliniks in let's put Joel Youngblood in! Then of course we have to include Roy Howell....

Comment

Originally posted by Base On Balls
                Huh?
                I was in complete agreement with CubbieFan7, basically.

Sorry to be rude, welcome to BBF!

Comment

Nothing personal, fellow fans. You raise interesting arguments, but I'll still fight to see him inducted. He's not only a stalwart in the field of baseball, but he is a distinguished gentleman as well, and no amount of money can buy that, comprende?

Comment

So he's in just because he's a nice guy?

Comment

Lol, let's elect the next nobel peace award winner!

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo
                        Lol, let's elect the next nobel piece award winner!
                        Piece of what? PEACE, maybe?

Bob

Comment

Re: Re: Why is he always overlooked?

Originally posted by yellowdog
                          You failed to mention that he only had two at bats that season and only one base hit. Not what most people would consider a career year.
                          Yes, but by using Sabermetrics and incorporating Bill James' analyses including win shares, park factors, wind chill factors, etc., Mulliniks' pro-rated readjusted stats translate into a .790 batting average over his career with 1897 home runs in 8798 at bats. That to me is a Hall of Fame career, my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by bluezebra
                            Piece of what? PEACE, maybe?

Bob
                            Yes, I meant PEACE.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Why is he always overlooked?

Originally posted by The Commissioner
                              Yes, but by using Sabermetrics and incorporating Bill James' analyses including win shares, park factors, wind chill factors, etc., Mulliniks' pro-rated readjusted stats translate into a .790 batting average over his career with 1897 home runs in 8798 at bats. That to me is a Hall of Fame career, my friend.

Thank you, I have been waiting for someone to bash on Bill James!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X