HoF President Petroskey Issues Apology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HoF President Petroskey Issues Apology

Hall of Fame President Dale Petroskey has written an open letter to all who contacted the Hall about the "Bull Durham" affair.

In the letter, Petroskey says he is sorry for polticizing the Hall, and admits he did exactly what he was trying to avoid.

"I am sorry I didn't pick up the phone to have a discussion with Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon rather than sending them a letter," Petroskey says.

The entire letter is posted on the Hall's Web site: http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/wh...2003_04_11.htm

Robbins responded in a statement to the press: "Because Petroskey's actions resulted in a bipartisan, nationwide affirmation of free speech and the First Amendment, he has inadvertently done us all a favor."

"I appreciate Petroskey's non-apology apology and his realization of the perils of paper trails," he said.

Even though Tim Robbins is one of my favorite actors, I think he's being just a little haughty about this. I don't really appreciate his attitude. I side with Petroskey on his reasonings and that he should have handled it differently.
    So, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.--Dark Helmet--Spaceballs

Go St. Louis!

Comment

It seems Petroskey " shot from the lip", learning the technique from his former boss R. Reagan.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard
        Even though Tim Robbins is one of my favorite actors, I think he's being just a little haughty about this. I don't really appreciate his attitude. I side with Petroskey on his reasonings and that he should have handled it differently.
        I think Petroskey's "reasonings" are a bunch of crap myself. What was Ari Fleischer there for last year, discussing the history of the Yankees? Petroskey wanted to impress his Republican buddies by quashing any possible speech made by an actor who happened to be anti-war, despite absolutely NO evidence that Robbins or Sarandon were going to say anything about the war at all. (Sarandon said nothing about the war the Oscars, an event watched by millions more people than this little HOF ceremony--why would she give a political speech at the Hall and not on a high-rated national TV event?)

Comment

It doesn't matter what reasons there were. The point is it could've been handled differently. And while Sarandan did not make a speech, she flashed the peace sign and knowing her, we all know what that means. And I happed to agree with Petroskey that avoiding the possibility of that or worse is enough to prompt concern. I, for one, do not want to offend veterans and service men who have or are putting their lives on the line for our freedom. And while I have no problems with Freedom of Speech, I do wish people would exercise good judgement more often, especially in cases like this.
          Last edited by The Wizard; 04-22-2003, 07:05 PM.
          So, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.--Dark Helmet--Spaceballs

Go St. Louis!

Comment

To me, it's very simple...

A) I disagree with what Petroskey did

B) I would have disagreed with Robbins or Sarandon in case they would have done what they allegedly would do.

C) I accept Petroskey's apology.
            http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

Originally posted by PeteF3
              What was Ari Fleischer there for last year, discussing the history of the Yankees?
              Still waiting for an answer on this.

Comment

I accept Petroskey's apology, and I think he realizes what he did was wrong and dumb. But I'm still bothered, because it seems that there are still some people so blinded by patriotic fervor that they don't see how unpatriotic his actions were.

I don't agree with Robbins and Sarandon on the war, but it frightens me when I see people applaud something as unnecessary as what Petroskey did. He was SO afraid of dissent that he bit off his nose to spite his face. I always enjoy meeting people who have opinions that conflict with my own, because that's what makes a mind grow. I just can't understand people who seek to crush dissent, in wartime or otherwise.

What kind of country would we be if we canceled every event that might possible be attended by someone who is against the war? Did the people who applauded Petroskey's paranoid actions ever pause to ask themselves this question?

I supported the war, but I always keep this in my mind: When the troops come home, they expect it to be America to which they return. And without dissent, it's not America.
                Last edited by bezdomny; 04-20-2003, 09:25 PM.

Comment

It is a little scary, bdny, but not unprecedented in American history... or in any country's history, for that matter. And, America has seen much, much worse acts of "un-patrionism" in the past century (aka as it began to take modern shape)... during WWII, during the Red Scare, during Vietnam, etc.

It really isn't fair to compare this incident to those, though... so, again I accept the apology, and I'll leave it at that.
                  http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard:
                    "It doesn't matter what reasons there were. The point is it could've been handled differently. And while Sarandan did not make a speech, she flashed the peace sign and knowing her, we all know what that means."

i don't know her as well as you seem to but my guess would be that this means she wants peace? doesn't seem too bad of an ideal to me but i don't know what she's thinking and i certainly don't want to censor thought - even, heaven forbid, politcal thought..

"And I happed to agree with Petroskey that avoiding the possibility of that or worse is enough to prompt concern."

avoiding the possibility that she holds 2-fingers aloft, silently stating her wish for peace? i don't think it could get worse than that, lucky for us baseball fans we have petroskey to censor -even the possibility of - any such behaviour!

"I, for one, do not want to offend veterans and service men who have or are putting their lives on the line for our freedom."

glad to hear it, neither do i. still, not all veterans and servicemen are as sensitive as you may believe as to be so offended by the peace sign - (psst... i've known a few even do it themselves)...

"And while I have to problems with Freedom of Speech, I do wish people would exercise good judgement more often, especially in cases like this."

i agree. petroskey was well out of line ...and his 'apology' is one that states he should have phoned instead of sending a letter... well, he did use the word sorry so that counts as an apology, right?

razors

Comment

Yes, but believe it or not, most people want peace. In times of war however, we should be careful what we do about it. I don't want a war with anyone. But sometimes it's necessary. The problem with Sarandan and others is that they don't realize that sometimes we have to go to war. And they are the people that get the press time. Not the everyday Joes like you and me. So our troops while overseas and upon return don't get to hear what the majority of US citizens feel, pride in our troops and country. The possibility of her doing that or worse, to me, is enough to warrant caution. That's all I'm saying. What people don't seem to realize is that while it's okay to question or even criticize our elected officials, there is a time to unite as citizens of this country and support those officials and the people putting their lives on the line, while we sit at homes and argue about it on our computers. Those people are keeping me and my children safe. All the men and women who have fought in other wars, losing their sanity, their limbs, their lives. I just think we owe them the utmost respect. So while, like you said, not all veterans or servicemen are offended by the peace sign (not my point, it was anything political or anti-war that I was talking about) and some even flash it themselves, I merely think this is not the time to be flashing it like we're a bunch of drugged-up hippies in the '70s, protesting a war and then spitting on our soldiers when they came home. They deserve our love, prayers and respect. Why can't these people show that instead of the peace sign?

Go St. Louis!

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard:
                        "...The problem with Sarandan and others is that they don't realize that sometimes we have to go to war..."

you sure know this lass really well, where are you getting all this 'inside' information?

"...So our troops while overseas and upon return don't get to hear what the majority of US citizens feel, pride in our troops and country..."

this is just baseless hogwash! i doubt you have any idea what they get to hear overseas or upon return - but you'd rather they return to a country where only one p.o.v. CAN be heard - not the freedom we're fighting for is it?

"What people don't seem to realize is that while it's okay to question or even criticize our elected officials, there is a time to unite as citizens of this country and support those officials..."

these 'officials' don't even agree with each other...what you are actually saying is support the officials that YOU agree with...and it's about an even split amongst americans (including these officials) as to whether this war has made them safer or not.

"So while, like you said, not all veterans or servicemen are offended by the peace sign (not my point, it was anything political or anti-war that I was talking about)..."

okay but your post clearly states that you are talking about the peace sign "or worse"

"I merely think this is not the time to be flashing it like we're a bunch of drugged-up hippies in the '70s, protesting a war and then spitting on our soldiers when they came home.

and you think this will happen because of robbins'/sarandans' views? maybe i s'pose but i cannot believe that because one may have a dissenting view that this in anyway implies that this type of disgusting behaviour is condoned.

"They deserve our love, prayers and respect. Why can't these people show that instead of the peace sign?"

why can't you accept that 'these people' can show love and respect AND the peace sign. these are NOT mutually exclusive actions, though you would have us think so...

the HOF has the right to let whomever they would like through their doors and of course the right to censor who and what they like...but for petroskey to profess that he is trying to keep the Hall apolitical is disingenuous on his part - and folly for baseball fans to believe it.

razors

Comment

Ms. Sarandon has made her views very well known in many public settings, razors. You don't need to be a mind reader to know her views.

Petroskey is just a museum curator for a museum that Bill James has said is essentially "run by accountants." 1 Anyone who believes his actions in any way harm the actual sport of baseball or mlb either misjudges his stature or takes his actions as far more serious than they actually are.

Bezdomny pretty much hit it on the head as I see it, at least. His main misdoing was to go public with this as he did. He could have simply cancelled what was basically a sham of a celebration anyway (15 years? So what!) and not put his politics in this.

I like Robbins as an actor. Not a fan of his views, but he did say he wasn't going to do anything at a place he has visited many times (and has said will continue to do so.) I believe him, but the more conservative Petroskey did not, based on past actions.

It should never have gotten to this point, period.

Notes

1. James, Bill. Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame . 1994. I'm sorry, I don't have my MLA handbook in front of me, so I'm stopping my citation here.
                          Last edited by Captain Cold Nose; 04-23-2003, 10:36 AM.
                          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose:
                            "Ms. Sarandon has made her views very well known in many public settings, razors. You don't need to be a mind reader to know her views."

maybe you do, The Wizard obviously does but not i - has she really said that war is NEVER necessary, as The Wizard reckons? what i do know she said was: ''It's so ironic that we should be quote unquote liberating another country and giving them a democracy when we're telling people here if they open their mouths, they're not allowed to participate.''

her views or bruce willis' views or your views are not likely to sway me on my views about this war (or the other ~40 or so wars currently being waged around the globe) - but when the HOF (or anyone in this great country) is going to act as the defacto thought police or public censor ( the ol' "i can handle it but you can't" mentality) it perturbs me.

"...believes his actions in any way harm the actual sport of baseball or mlb either misjudges his stature or takes his actions as far more serious than they actually are."

i'm not worried about 'the game' - sheesh petroskey is a virtual liberal compared to some players and managers in baseball so i've no worries that baseball will survive in tact - but his actions and subsequent reactions of others ARE important.

if we condone his actions (his right to do it is not up for debate is it?) then we are condoning the restriction of free speech based on the potential that one may act upon one's own thought ('non-popular'/'popular', or 'anti-war'/'pro-war' it matters not).

"His main misdoing was to go public with this as he did. He could have simply cancelled what was basically a sham of a celebration anyway (15 years? So what!) and not put his politics in this. "

i.e. run the HOF with an ulterior but hidden conservative agenda but as long as we the public are sheltered from it it's okay, right? fortunately this is just the HOF and nothing of any real import.

i also agree with you that bezdomny got it right in an earlier post:
                            "...it seems that there are still some people so blinded by patriotic fervor that they don't see how unpatriotic his (petroskey's) actions were."

razors

Comment

Originally posted by PeteF3
                              I think Petroskey's "reasonings" are a bunch of crap myself. What was Ari Fleischer there for last year, discussing the history of the Yankees? Petroskey wanted to impress his Republican buddies by quashing any possible speech made by an actor who happened to be anti-war, despite absolutely NO evidence that Robbins or Sarandon were going to say anything about the war at all. (Sarandon said nothing about the war the Oscars, an event watched by millions more people than this little HOF ceremony--why would she give a political speech at the Hall and not on a high-rated national TV event?)

Sarandon had commercials on TV out in California giving her anti-war, anti-Bush retoric.
                              28 year SABR member.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X