Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBWAA screwed up again!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BBWAA screwed up again!

    Only 1 inductee? Are they serious?
    If Sutter, why not Gossage and/or Smith? What about Rice?
    MAybe Dawson or even Garvey?
    And I am of course preferential to Morris and Trammel, 2 dominant people at their position during their career!

    Next year it is McGuire, Ripken and Gwynn and all else will be ignored.
    Wake up BBWAA!!
    1968 and 1984, the greatest ever.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Tigerfan1974

    Next year it is McGuire, Ripken and Gwynn and all else will be ignored.
    Wake up BBWAA!!
    Barry or Dorothy?
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tigerfan1974
      Only 1 inductee? Are they serious? If Sutter, why not Gossage and/or Smith? What about Rice? MAybe Dawson or even Garvey?
      And I am of course preferential to Morris and Trammel, 2 dominant people at their position during their career!

      Next year it is McGuire, Ripken and Gwynn and all else will be ignored.
      Wake up BBWAA!!
      Calm down, TF. Take a deep breath and go back through all the threads on this subject since the election and you will see much discussion of the BBWAA's snub of Gossage. We have members who also passionately support the induction of Rice, Dawson and Trammell though not anything resembling a 75% majority. I'll guarantee you this group is far more HoF savvy than the BBWAA and we would not elect those guys. That doesn't make us dumbasses, we are simply a group that disagrees with your assessment.

      And you can't seriously espouse Morris until the much superios Bert Blyleven is taken care of. As for Garvey I assume you were just putting us on
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by KCGHOST
        Calm down, TF. Take a deep breath and go back through all the threads on this subject since the election and you will see much discussion of the BBWAA's snub of Gossage. We have members who also passionately support the induction of Rice, Dawson and Trammell though not anything resembling a 75% majority. I'll guarantee you this group is far more HoF savvy than the BBWAA and we would not elect those guys. That doesn't make us dumbasses, we are simply a group that disagrees with your assessment.

        And you can't seriously espouse Morris until the much superios Bert Blyleven is taken care of. As for Garvey I assume you were just putting us on
        A well-grounded voice of reason.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

        Comment


        • #5
          "Next year it is McGuire, Ripken and Gwynn and all else will be ignored.
          Wake up BBWAA!!"


          I recall reading that Gossage and Rice pulled in over 60% and Blyleven earned approval from something over 50% of this year's voters. Each of the three has seen increased support in each of the past three or four elections.

          So is it even possible that some writers who voted for these players this year, will somehow abandon them in next year's election? After all, they can vote for those glittering first-ballot players (Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn and Mark McGwire) and still have room on their 10-player ballot for these three as well.

          If I were a voter who believed any (or all) of these 2006 "near-misses" was worthy of HOF election this year, I don't think I would drop them next year just to "make room" for the new "Big Three". There should be room on that ballot for 4 -- or 5 -- or even 6 "yes" votes!
          Last edited by Appling; 02-01-2006, 07:58 PM.
          Luke

          Comment


          • #6
            It's my contention that what sets Sutter apart from Gossage and perhaps Smith, is the development of a pitch so widely used after he brought it to the forefront. That probably has a lot of bearing on him getting in. Well, that and his beard!
            I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sschirmer
              It's my contention that what sets Sutter apart from Gossage and perhaps Smith, is the development of a pitch so widely used after he brought it to the forefront. That probably has a lot of bearing on him getting in. Well, that and his beard!
              One reason I support Blyleven is very similar to yours: Bert may have been the best curveball pitcher of all time!

              His outstanding control of a very wicked curveball helped him pass Walter Johnson in career strikeouts, and achieve 287 career wins.
              Luke

              Comment


              • #8
                Bruce Sutter no more developed the split-finger fastball than I did. He was simply the guy who was using it when it caught the media's attention.

                And I have no idea how anyone would prove who had the best curveball. My personal favorite on that front would be Camilo Pascual, but who knows.
                Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Appling
                  One reason I support Blyleven is very similar to yours: Bert may have been the best curveball pitcher of all time!

                  His outstanding control of a very wicked curveball helped him pass Walter Johnson in career strikeouts, and achieve 287 career wins.

                  I agree with this. I'm still somewhat amazed that the writers haven't figured out that he's fourth all-time in k's, and won 287 games on some crappy teams in a lot of hitter friendly ballparks.

                  Ghost, you may have developed the splitter, but I still think Sutter's was better than yours.
                  I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by sschirmer
                    I agree with this. I'm still somewhat amazed that the writers haven't figured out that he's fourth all-time in k's, and won 287 games on some crappy teams in a lot of hitter friendly ballparks.
                    Apparently, it doesn't help him that he won the World Series with the 1979 Pirates and 1987 Twins either, but that's a silly point.
                    46 wins to match last year's total

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan
                      Apparently, it doesn't help him that he won the World Series with the 1979 Pirates and 1987 Twins either, but that's a silly point.
                      One would think.
                      I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

                      Comment

                      Ad Widget

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X