No announcement yet.

Edgar Martinez in the Hall??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was reviewing Edgar's numbers. He effectively only had a half a season before age 27, becoming a regular at age 27. The only other player I know of who was a HOFer/near HOF/very good player who might deserve HOF consideration (take your choice) who didn't begin his career until age 27 is Sam Rice (who also had a half season before age 27).

Other than special cases (Negro Leagues, Japanese League, wars/military service), are there any other greats that you're aware of who effectively didn't get a start until age 27?

It makes Edgar's HOF run so unusual.
    If the White Sox has not traded Sammy Sosa, they'd have probably won a few more World Series. (Chadwick)
    Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

• Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
      I was reviewing Edgar's numbers. He effectively only had a half a season before age 27, becoming a regular at age 27. The only other player I know of who was a HOFer/near HOF/very good player who might deserve HOF consideration (take your choice) who didn't begin his career until age 27 is Sam Rice (who also had a half season before age 27).

Other than special cases (Negro Leagues, Japanese League, wars/military service), are there any other greats that you're aware of who effectively didn't get a start until age 27?

Jorge Posada. Turned 27 in the middle of 1998.

Comment

I was reviewing Edgar's numbers. He effectively only had a half a season before age 27, becoming a regular at age 27. The only other player I know of who was a HOFer/near HOF/very good player who might deserve HOF consideration (take your choice) who didn't begin his career until age 27 is Sam Rice (who also had a half season before age 27).

A fair number of HOF or HOFish pitchers didn't hit their stride until their late 20s or early 30s. Dazzy Vance is the best example. Hoyt Wilhelm didn't get going until he was around 30; WWII was part of the delay, but not all of it, I don't think. Phil Niekro started late too, speaking of knuckleballers. Didn't Randy Johnson not have his first great season until he was close to 30? I'm doing this all off memory right now, so apologies if I've gotten some things wrong.

I'm a Lefty O'Doul fan; he was trying to make it as a pitcher for about a decade before he switched to hitting. Of course he didn't last too long once he did, (though long enough to win two batting titles and post the 4th highest BA of all time), but that was at least partly because he transitioned rapidly to coaching/managing and other off-field duties (leading barnstorming tours, promoting baseball on the West Coast & in Japan, etc.)

Comment

• Good discussion here on late bloomers:

As a blunt tool, HOFers through age 26 with the lowest Baseball-Reference WAR:

http://thebaseballgauge.com/history....e=1&sort=tot_a

Removing some of the generally non supported HOFers:
          1. Dazzy Vance - 0.1
          2. Phil Niekro - 0.2
          3. Edgar Martinez - 0.7
          4. Sam Rice - 1.3
          6. Randy Johnson - 2.2
          8. Roy Campanella - 2.2 - special case
          9. Stan Coveleski - 2.3
          10. 3 Finger Brown - 2.6
          11. Bill Terry - 2.6
          12. Bob Lemon - 3.2
          13. Trevor Hoffman - 3.6
          14. Jimmy Collins - 3.7
          15. Old Hoss Radbourn - 3.9
          16. Gaylord Perry - 4.2
          19. Mariano Rivera - 5.2
          20. Rollie Fingers - 5.3
          21. Carl Hubbell - 5.5
          22. Herb Pennock - 6.0
          23. Red Faber - 6.0
          24. Luke Appling - 6.1
          25. Deacon White - 6.2

To the electorate, do you give any MLE credit for some of these guys playing at a high level in other leagues and not getting the break to the big leagues they deserved?
          Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
          http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

• Originally posted by Cougar View Post

A fair number of HOF or HOFish pitchers didn't hit their stride until their late 20s or early 30s. Dazzy Vance is the best example. Hoyt Wilhelm didn't get going until he was around 30; WWII was part of the delay, but not all of it, I don't think. Phil Niekro started late too, speaking of knuckleballers. Didn't Randy Johnson not have his first great season until he was close to 30? I'm doing this all off memory right now, so apologies if I've gotten some things wrong.

I'm a Lefty O'Doul fan; he was trying to make it as a pitcher for about a decade before he switched to hitting. Of course he didn't last too long once he did, (though long enough to win two batting titles and post the 4th highest BA of all time), but that was at least partly because he transitioned rapidly to coaching/managing and other off-field duties (leading barnstorming tours, promoting baseball on the West Coast & in Japan, etc.)
            You're correct...a decent number of pitchers haven't established themselves until their late 20's: Vance until 31, Phil Niekro until 28, Hoyt Wilhelm at age 29, Iron Man Joe McGinnity didn't debut until age 28, etc. Randy Johnson was an okay pitcher in his mid-20's and threw a lot of innings, but didn't get good until later. Although in this day and age, I suspect they'll be fewer numbers of pitchers who don't debut until age 27.

I should have said I was looking for hitters who didn't debut (other than small numbers of AB's) until age 27. Your example of Lefty is a perfect instance of a late debut. I had him in mind when I said the Japanese league.
            If the White Sox has not traded Sammy Sosa, they'd have probably won a few more World Series. (Chadwick)
            Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Comment

what about Ichiro?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post
                Good discussion here on late bloomers:

As a blunt tool, HOFers through age 26 with the lowest Baseball-Reference WAR:

http://thebaseballgauge.com/history....e=1&sort=tot_a

Removing some of the generally non supported HOFers:
                1. Dazzy Vance - 0.1
                2. Phil Niekro - 0.2
                3. Edgar Martinez - 0.7
                4. Sam Rice - 1.3
                6. Randy Johnson - 2.2
                8. Roy Campanella - 2.2 - special case
                9. Stan Coveleski - 2.3
                10. 3 Finger Brown - 2.6
                11. Bill Terry - 2.6
                12. Bob Lemon - 3.2
                13. Trevor Hoffman - 3.6
                14. Jimmy Collins - 3.7
                15. Old Hoss Radbourn - 3.9
                16. Gaylord Perry - 4.2
                19. Mariano Rivera - 5.2
                20. Rollie Fingers - 5.3
                21. Carl Hubbell - 5.5
                22. Herb Pennock - 6.0
                23. Red Faber - 6.0
                24. Luke Appling - 6.1
                25. Deacon White - 6.2

To the electorate, do you give any MLE credit for some of these guys playing at a high level in other leagues and not getting the break to the big leagues they deserved?
                Great list, thanks!

Other than the Negro Leagues or war service, I don't. There are plenty of guys like that who might get credit - Indian Bob Johnson (Connie Mack not wanting him because Bob's brother Roy was a drunk), Earl Averill (darn, another guy who I forgot, age 27 debut, thought he debuted at 26 - was happy enough in the PCL), Lefty Grove (age 25 debut, old Baltimore Orioles ownership issues), etc. It goes down to lesser lights, such as Dixie Walker who was mostly stuck behind the big name Yankee outfielders...he didn't become a regular until age 26 with the White Sox.

I personally don't know where a good line to draw is...it becomes completely judgmental.

(As a side note, whatever his faults, I've always felt bad for Dixie Walker...outliving three of your own children had to be a worse fate than anything that the rest of society accorded you.)

Originally posted by willshad View Post

what about Ichiro?
                I was aware of him, but was looking for more unusual cases. He's effectively the poster boy of Japanese Leaguers coming in late.

Originally posted by redban View Post

Jorge Posada. Turned 27 in the middle of 1998.

That's a good one...I forgot Joe Girardi kept him back somewhat.
                Last edited by Toledo Inquisition; 06-27-2019, 10:37 AM.

Comment

That's a good one...I forgot Joe Girardi kept him back somewhat.
                  Joe Torre
                  Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
                  http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

• Posada's defense needed to improve to merely bleh before he could seize the full-time gig.

Comment

• Originally posted by J W View Post
                      But I'll say this: when the time comes, if the time comes, Edgar will be the first full-time DH elected into the Hall.
                      It has and he is. And I'm damn happy for him.
                      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X