No announcement yet.

Barry Larkin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Barry Larkin be in the Hall of Fame?

Notice, I'm asking if you think he will be, not if you think he should be. Although I am interested in your answer to the latter question.

When I was growing up, I thought Larkin was a great but overrated shortstop who would be in the Hall of Fame. I now think he's become a very underrated shorstop who won't be in the Hall of Fame. Weird how perceptions change.
    Hey, this is my public apology for suddenly disappearing and missing out on any projects I may have neglected.

Comment

Yes & Yes

I think he will be and should be.

Barry was one of the more complete and consistent players of his generation.

He could hit for average, hit for power (although he wasn't a big HR hitter, he did hit 179 HRs playing SS AND he had plenty of doubles & triples), he could field, he could run....no weaknesses.

Again, I think he should and will be in the HOF, and it would be a shame if he isn't.

www.octoberchase.com

Comment

I do believe so. He was a complete player, well-liked by fans and writers. I don't think he'll be first-ballot. The HOF voters will likely treat him as they did Ryne Sandberg, a couple of years on the ballot but in after not too long a wait.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

I'd like to think he will go with the MVP beign a tipping point. However, Trammell is resonably similar and hasn't had great support so I fear Larkin may fare no better.

Comment

Best SS of his generation (league wise). Bunch of ASG's, SS's and GG's. I think that he makes it, not in a first ballot, but very similar to Ryne Sandberg.
            "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
            George Brett

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
              I'd like to think he will go with the MVP beign a tipping point. However, Trammell is resonably similar and hasn't had great support so I fear Larkin may fare no better.
              I think Larkin was a little better as a hitter, baserunner and fielder. That might be enough.
              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                I do believe so. He was a complete player, well-liked by fans and writers. I don't think he'll be first-ballot. The HOF voters will likely treat him as they did Ryne Sandberg, a couple of years on the ballot but in after not too long a wait.
                I agree. The voters will likely take a few years to get with it. I'm wondering if Roberto Alomar might get similar treatment.

Comment

I voted "Yes", but I really mean "I Think So". The guy should make it on merit alone, but funny things can happen to middle infielders on the way to Cooperstown.
                  Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

I think it's hard to get a read on how voters will react to Larkin being on the ballot.

Comment

I'd have to say yes.
                      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

How long it will take is an open question, but Larkin is too good for his quality to not eventually be recognized.

Comment

If I was an oddsmaker, I'd posit that the likelihood of him going one and done is greater than the likelihood of him going first ballot.

I'd actually say the same thing for Raines.

I'd support both, Raines more adamantly than Larkin, but I think 35% on the first ballot would be a huge achievement.
                          THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

I voted no clue. I know he deserves it, but... knowing the voters' track record...
                            "Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson, Esquire (March 1, 1978)

Comment

Originally posted by Senor Octobre View Post
                              I voted no clue. I know he deserves it, but... knowing the voters' track record...
                              That's about where I am, too.
                              3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

The thing about Larkin is he was injured alot, so he didnt really play a lot of full seasons. He only had about 8 full seasons, and 2 of them were strike years, and 4 of them really werent good. Plus he was good in a lot of areas, but not 'great' at anything besides maybe fielding..that may hurt him as well. His MVP means nothing as it was probably the least deserving MVP of the last 25 years ( come on, you had a catcher with a 1.16 OPS on the road on a first place team). Only scored over 100 runs twice (in the steroid era) The thing about Larkin is that his 162 per game averages are probbaly hall worthy, when you consider his fielding, but he seldom played anywhere near 162 games in a season, and was insonsistent.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X