Don Sutton
    Rube Waddell
    Ed Walsh
    Mickey Welch
    Hoyt Wilhelm
    Early Wynn
    Cy Young
    2016 World Series Champions

How can you possibly justify choosing Lee Smith while leaving out both Berra and Bench?
    I share pictures from my collection of baseball photographs on twitter @PastimeClassics

Comment

Look at their stats and compare them to everyone else on that list. Berra is 59th all-time in homeruns, 49th in RBI, and in the thousandths in batting average. Bench is 39th in homeruns, 60th in RBI, and had a .267 batting average. Smith not only holds the record for career saves but has a big lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Aaron
        Look at their stats and compare them to everyone else on that list. Berra is 59th all-time in homeruns, 49th in RBI, and in the thousandths in batting average. Bench is 39th in homeruns, 60th in RBI, and had a .267 batting average. Smith not only holds the record for career saves but has a big lead.
        BERRA AND BENCH WERE CATCHERS! You have to respect their numbers accordingly.
        I share pictures from my collection of baseball photographs on twitter @PastimeClassics

Comment

I won't take sympathy on them for what position they played. The HOF is for what the players accomplished, not what they could've accomplished according to what position they played.

Comment

Sympathy?

Nevermind, I don't feel like arguing.

Comment

You lose.

Anywho, you can out them in "Your Own Hall of Fame" like the title of the thread suggests. They don't deserve to be in mine.

Comment

The hall of fame is achievments, but you must take into account it say FAME, FAMOUS, not the best number-putter-upper but recognized as one on an alltime team, bENCH CUTS THERE.

Comment

The best "number-putter-upper" will also achieve a good amount of fame. Berra and Bench didn't put up good enough numbers and therefore don't have enough fame with me.

Comment

So if your hall had no catchers (whcih is true) you'd be fine with it?

Comment

Yes I would. But it won't last for long I'm sure.

Comment

You must take into account catchers get beat up crouching, catching ball after ball, in the hot sun, every day, and you expect them to put up GREAT numbers? Could you? I'm sure had Bench played a different position he'd have 500 homers. Also take defense into account, a catchers game is catch pitch after pitch, hard picth after pitch, and Bench did that. Still, you give him absolutely no credit?

Comment

Like I said, I won't take sympathy on them for what position they played. The HOF is for what the players accomplished, not what they could've accomplished according to what position they played. And why ask if I could do it? I'm not a professional baseball player. And how do you know how well he would've done if he played a different position? I will give him credit for what he has done but not be including him in my Hall of Fame.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Aaron
                            Like I said, I won't take sympathy on them for what position they played. The HOF is for what the players accomplished, not what they could've accomplished according to what position they played. And why ask if I could do it? I'm not a professional baseball player. And how do you know how well he would've done if he played a different position? I will give him credit for what he has done but not be including him in my Hall of Fame.
                            He won two homer crowns. He was forced out of the game because he played catcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo
                              He won two homer crowns.

What's your point? This is for CAREER accomplishments.

He was forced out of the game because he played catcher.
                              Well, if he was good enough then they would've had him play a different position. Perhaps he wasn't a good enough fielder to play another position. Where does he have left to go? Nowhere. That could've been what forced him out of the game.

Or like 98% of other players, he may have just decided to retire.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X