12-10 3.71 Postseason Record

8 Time all star

2 time Cy Young Winner

WS MVP

Top 3 in Cy Young Voting 6 times

Active leader in sacrifice hits

5 time NL wins leader

6 time NL starts leader

Led league in adj. era+, sac hits, shutouts, and complete games once each.

WS Champion(1995)

Coming off his worst year since 1988(his sophmore effort), Glavine still has to prove himself in New York. At age 37, he has enough years left to reach the 300 win and 2,500 K plateaus, making him a lock for the Hall.

My opinion now, if he retired today, he would make it after sitting on the ballot a few years.

No
    5.29%
    I share pictures from my collection of baseball photographs on twitter @PastimeClassics

He should be a definite Hall of Famer at this point. Whether the voters see him as such is a different story all together.

Comment

Glavine gets my vote for the HOF now.
      "...The one constant through the years has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard. Rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again..."

Terrence Mann (James Earl Jones)
      from "Field of Dreams."

Comment

List of all pitchers, past and present, with multiple Cy Youngs and 250+ wins who aren't in the Hall of Fame:

Roger Clemens
        Greg Maddux
        Tom Glavine
        Last edited by J W; 01-05-2004, 08:44 PM.
        http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

I am as big a Tom Glavine fan as there is. But I would have to say at this point in his career he is borderline, which in my mind doesn't qualify him. So I would say it depends on the remainder of his career but based on his age and what I saw of him last year, I don't think his chances are real good. But I hope he does get in eventually.

Comment

If you compare him to some of the HOF pitchers of the recent past (Bunning, Drysdale, Marichal) he is quite comparable. While comparing players across generations truly isn't fair, the fact Glavine was at the top of the list of pitchers in recent years for a solid period of time puts him in elite company. He should get in, especially if he puts up a couple more solid seasons.
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

JW, looks like you read my mind. I agreee with you totally. Great list!

Thanks for the stats, EddieCollins. Impressive, don'tcha think??? There's something Glavine's style on and off the field. He's impressive on all fronts and I'm certain he's HoF material.

Hey Captain cold Nose...all's well in Syracuse.
              Nothin' like fun at the ol' ballpark!

Comment

Originally posted by baseballwise

Hey Captain cold Nose...all's well in Syracuse.

Great news, baseballwise. Can you please e-mail me with details?
                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Definately...definately....definately a Hall of Famer.
                  "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                  "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                  "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                  "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Glavine is in my Hall of Fame, but I voted "It Depends" because of the reality of the politics behind the voting. The Blyleven Mystery continues to baffle this fan, and until I hear what's up with voters' and their Blyleven votes I can't have faith in Glavine getting into the Hall. Yes, yes, I know the two pitchers are completely different, but the voting has to make sense before I can state something with certainty. The HoF voting makes no sense today.
                    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Originally posted by J W
                      List of all pitchers, past and present, with multiple Cy Youngs and 250+ wins who aren't in the Hall of Fame:

Roger Clemens
                      Greg Maddux
                      Tom Glavine
                      This is true of 200 wins, in fact, a standard which Glavine exceeds easily.

I think the only other multiple Cy winners who aren't in or mortal locks to be in are Bret Saberhagen (derailed by injuries) and Denny McLain (derailed by injuries and moral turpitude).

Glavine should be a lock. But the writers are so mercurial, it's hard to say for sure what they'd do.

Comment

Tom Glavine

Will he go to HOF?
                        Possibly.
                        Hope he returns to Braves so he can be dominant again.
                        Cristobal

Comment

Yes, he'll go to the Hall of Fame, but he'll never pitch for the Braves again and he'll never be dominant again. He doesn't have to, though, in order to merit election.
                          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                          "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                          "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

I agree with Chancellor,but I will carry it one step further; he will win 300.
                            I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

He can quite today and be assured of 1st ballot election.
                              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X