Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Trammel over Whitaker inappropriate? Is it racist?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SavoyBG View Post

Can you name a white supremacist or a Neo-Nazi who is a Democrat?
    I can't name one period and I don't think that party affiliation is important to them. You are making a stupid assertion.
    This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

MSNBC is the Fox news of the left. It has no credibility. Bill Mahrer is a comedian. This is a joke.
      This week's Giant

Comment

I've got to go find the source for this, but I know it exists: one of Bill James's opinions in the 1980s or early 1990s (around that time) was that Whitaker and Trammel comparisons by Detroit sportswriters centered around the classic "white guy is scrappy and black guy is lazy" trope. I'll go find it.
        46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Found it: it was the Baseball Book 1991. The direct accusation is against the late Joe Falls (who died in 2004):

Joe Falls, while exalting Trammell, wrote that Whitaker has watched a Hall of Fame career drift away from hm, and a couple of radio guys stand right behind him, one holding the gasoline and the other the match.

t was in Detroit last spring, doing radio shows. The third time this was put to me I challenged the caller on it. You know what he said? He said, "Yeah, they have about the same totals now, but when they came up, Whitaker was already a .300 hitter. Trammell was a .220 hitter. He's worked hard to become the player he is now." In fact of course, they were as even when they came into the league as they are now.
          So take that for what it's worth.
          46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by JR Hart View Post

I can't name one period and I don't think that party affiliation is important to them.
            Never heard of David Duke?

Comment

I can't name one period and I don't think that party affiliation is important to them.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/...114154878.html

https://www.vox.com/2017/8/12/161383...david-duke-kkk

Is the NY Times credible?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/o...ite-again.html

Comment

Never heard of David Duke?

So David Duke is a Republican, so all racists are Republicans?

Robert Byrd was a Democrat, so all racists are Democrats. He's only been gone 8 years. He was a Klansman and a Democrat. So all racists are Democrats.

You're playing a stupid game. You have very short sighted beliefs.

Again, I can play your game.

Most police officers belong to a union. Unions are heavily united with the Democratic party. Police officers are often cited as racists. Democrats are racist.

you're too easy bub.
                This week's Giant

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                  Found it: it was the Baseball Book 1991. The direct accusation is against the late Joe Falls (who died in 2004):

So take that for what it's worth.
                  Duke was a long time democrat. He switched parties to try to revive his political career but it failed.

Comment

So David Duke is a Republican, so all racists are Republicans?

Robert Byrd was a Democrat, so all racists are Democrats. He's only been gone 8 years. He was a Klansman and a Democrat. So all racists are Democrats.

You're playing a stupid game. You have very short sighted beliefs.

Again, I can play your game.

Most police officers belong to a union. Unions are heavily united with the Democratic party. Police officers are often cited as racists. Democrats are racist.

you're too easy bub.
                    How about three major Democratic party players-Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and Louis Farrakhan? All three have a history of making anti-Semitic remarks.
                    It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Abe Lincoln,Jackie Robinson,and Martin Luther King,Jr. were all Republicans.

Comment

Of course everyone, both parties have had and do have lots of bigots. Blaming one party for racism is just stupid.
                        This week's Giant

Comment

I don't understand one thing. if the baseball writers are so racist then why did they award all those MVP's, RoY's, and CYA's awards to Afro-American and Afro-Latino ballplayers over the decades. From 1949-79 21 of 33 NL MVP awards were awarded to black players (American and Latinos)?
                          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                            Abe Lincoln,Jackie Robinson,and Martin Luther King,Jr. were all Republicans.
                            King was not a Republican. That is a lie.

Originally posted by 64Cards View Post

How about three major Democratic party players-Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and Louis Farrakhan? All three have a history of making anti-Semitic remarks.
                            Farrakahn has no affiliation with the Democratic Party. Last a heard (a few days ago), he's talking about how much he loves Trump.

Okay, before this is either closed or warnings are handed out, I'll try to steer it back a little onto the subject at hand. I really didn't know either that parts of the Detroit fanbase felt that way (although it's hardly a surprise) or that James had noted it. That changes the question from out of the blue speculation to one that's grounded in the real world history of the team, the two men and their disparate fates in the voting.
                            3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"All of which makes perfect sense on paper, unless you have actually at any time in your life watched baseball being played." - The Commissioner

Comment

Originally posted by willshad View Post
                              Yeah, Trammell was less consistent, but he has 6 or 7 great years scattered about, while Lou had maybe 2 great years. The hitting standards for shortstop are a bit less than for second basemen. WAR tells the story pretty well.
                              6 WAR seasons: Whitaker 2, Trammell 6
                              3.5 WAR seasons: Whitaker 15, Trammell 11

Whitaker was good player for a long time, Trammell was an occassional star.
                              I think willshad is spot on here. Trammell had some big seasons and Whitaker din't really have big seasons, or at least he didn't have traditional big seasons that caught people's attention. Whitaker was excellent for a very long time and accumulated a lot of career value.
                              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                                I don't understand one thing. if the baseball writers are so racist then why did they award all those MVP's, RoY's, and CYA's awards to Afro-American and Afro-Latino ballplayers over the decades. From 1949-79 21 of 33 NL MVP awards were awarded to black players (American and Latinos)?
                                It's because they weren't racist
                                This week's Giant

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X