Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Trammel over Whitaker inappropriate? Is it racist?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SavoyBG View Post

Many thousands of home team fans booed Winfield and Cheered Mattingly in the last game of 1984, I was there. It was clearly white fans rooting for the clean cut white guy over the scary big mean black man.
    I was quoting the Brett /McRae post.

but....

Winfield should been been in jail anyway. You won't read the link, so here is Winfield's assault, from SI

Fred Taylor pulled off Behagen who, according to Taylor, screamed, "Let me go, man, let me go." Dave Winfield, who recently joined the Gopher varsity, joined the fray, too, dodging to mid-court where some Minnesota reserves and civilians were trying to wrestle Ohio State substitute Mark Wagar to the floor. Winfield leaped on top of Wagar when he was down and hit him five times with his right fist on the face and head. When the stunned Wagar managed to slip away, a fan pushed him to the floor and another caught him on the chin with a hard punch from the side.

THE MIINNESOTA PLAYERS AND FANS SIMPLY ATTACKED THE OHIO ST TEAM> JUST BECAUSE THEY WERE GOING TO LOSE ...WINFIELD IS A PUNK.

Or do you condone assualt when it's blacks beating up whites.

Read the article I posted the link

anyway, they booed Winfield 34 years ago, so now it's racism, because Whitaker isn't in the hall??????

BTW, I think that Lou rates it.
    Last edited by JR Hart; 06-15-2018, 11:34 PM.
    This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

Originally posted by JR Hart View Post

I was quoting the Brett /McRae post.

but....

Winfield should been been in jail anyway. You won't read the link, so here is Winfield's assault, from SI

Fred Taylor pulled off Behagen who, according to Taylor, screamed, "Let me go, man, let me go." Dave Winfield, who recently joined the Gopher varsity, joined the fray, too, dodging to mid-court where some Minnesota reserves and civilians were trying to wrestle Ohio State substitute Mark Wagar to the floor. Winfield leaped on top of Wagar when he was down and hit him five times with his right fist on the face and head. When the stunned Wagar managed to slip away, a fan pushed him to the floor and another caught him on the chin with a hard punch from the side.

THE MIINNESOTA PLAYERS AND FANS SIMPLY ATTACKED THE OHIO ST TEAM> JUST BECAUSE THEY WERE GOING TO LOSE ...WINFIELD IS A PUNK.

Or do you condone assualt when it's blacks beating up whites.

Read the article I posted the link

anyway, they booed Winfield 34 years ago, so now it's racism, because Whitaker isn't in the hall??????

BTW, I think that Lou rates it.

You've posted about this several times in the past. I don't see what it has to do with whether or not the Yankee fans at the 1984 game were racists.....unless you are claiming that they were booing Winfield because of this basketball game.

Is Juan Marichal also a punk? He did something much worse once with a baseball bat as a weapon.

19th Century League Champion
      1900s League Champion
      1910s League Champion

1930s League Division Winner
      1950s League Champion
      1960 Strat-O-Matic League Regular Season Winner
      1960s League Division Winner
      1970s League Champion
      1971 Strat-O-Matic League Runner Up
      1980s League Champion
      All Time Greats League Champion

Comment

You've posted about this several times in the past. I don't see what it has to do with whether or not the Yankee fans at the 1984 game were racists.....unless you are claiming that they were booing Winfield because of this basketball game.

Is Juan Marichal also a punk? He did something much worse once with a baseball bat as a weapon.
        I don't see fans booing Winfield in 1984 has to do with Whitaker not geting in ther HOF in 2018. Maybe you can make that correlation?

yes marichal was a punk
        This week's Giant

Comment

George Wallace was a democrat. So was Lester Maddox, so was Robert Byrd. The entire Southern political structure of the 1960s was run by Democrats.
          That was 50 years ago. They were called "Dixiecrats" to differentiate them from non-racist party members.

Six Democratic Presidents owned slaves including the party's founder Thomas Jefferson, who owned more than 600.
          That was 200 years ago.

every Republican House member voted for the 13th Amendment, 56 Democrats voted against it.
          That was 150 years ago.

It's just possible that things have changed in the political landscape to some degree over time.

You know who else owned slaves? Francis Scott Key, who wrote our sacred National Anthem about "the land of the free". Think about that the next time you see black football players kneeling when the Star-Spangled Banner is played.

They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

I don't see fans booing Winfield in 1984 has to do with Whitaker not geting in ther HOF in 2018. Maybe you can make that correlation?
            I am just citing examples of racism over time. Whether it has ever kept anyone out of the hall of fame we'll never know for sure. But to take your stance and assert that it definitely hasn't is absurd. The Al Campanis attitude was the prevailing attitude among the lords of baseball for decades. The Joe Falls attitude was entrenched in older white folks for decades. These ways of thinking don't just go away because a black manager (Gaston) won the world series, or because a black GM (Watson) won the world series.

1900s League Champion
            1910s League Champion

1950s League Champion
            1970s League Champion
            1980s League Champion

Comment

JR you're lost in the sauce man. I can't follow what the hell you're even talking about.
              "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Many thousands of home team fans booed Winfield and Cheered Mattingly in the last game of 1984, I was there. It was clearly white fans rooting for the clean cut white guy over the scary big mean black man.
                And those fans were mostly Republicans? What do you think the political breakdown was? 80/20?

Comment

Originally posted by brett View Post

And those fans were mostly Republicans? What do you think the political breakdown was? 80/20?
                  I don't know, but among whites there are more Reps than Dems. 34 years ago things were different too.Nowadays if you are anti-black, you are most likely a Rep.

1900s League Champion
                  1910s League Champion

1950s League Champion
                  1970s League Champion
                  1980s League Champion

Comment

I don't know, but among whites there are more Reps than Dems. 34 years ago things were different too.Nowadays if you are anti-black, you are most likely a Rep.
                    But even if white people who aren't republicans are probably sub conscious racists though, correct?
                    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

But even if white people who aren't republicans are probably sub conscious racists though, correct?
                      I think it effects just about everybody, at least here in the USA, yes. People who claim to be liberals and claim to be totally without racial bias often show their true colors when their daughter or son is dating a black person, for instance.

1900s League Champion
                      1910s League Champion

1950s League Champion
                      1970s League Champion
                      1980s League Champion

Comment

I think it effects just about everybody, at least here in the USA, yes. People who claim to be liberals and claim to be totally without racial bias often show their true colors when their daughter or son is dating a black person, for instance.
                        Well that's pretty obvious racism though. At least you've moved away from the preposterous subconscious racism thing. You sight these individual examples, some of which are hypothetical, as if they're an example of white people as a whole. It's like you're trying to slander white folks. Especially considering that western white folks are the most tolerant people on earth. That's why middle eastern refugees come here and to Europe. And yea there's varying levels of backlash to them coming in all countries. But they still want to come. Even though there's big scary white people here. Somehow all those old racist white dudes paved the way for this tolerant society despite the supposed racist majority. Racism is/was (especially is) less prevalent than people say. Otherwise these refugees would be going to the Orient or India or Africa. But they're not. They're coming west where the ruling majority will give them personal freedom and they can be themselves.

Comment

George Wallace was a democrat. So was Lester Maddox, so was Robert Byrd. The entire Southern political structure of the 1960s was run by Democrats.
                          That was 50 years ago. They were called "Dixiecrats" to differentiate them from non-racist party members.

Six Democratic Presidents owned slaves including the party's founder Thomas Jefferson, who owned more than 600.
                          That was 200 years ago.

every Republican House member voted for the 13th Amendment, 56 Democrats voted against it.
                          That was 150 years ago.

It's just possible that things have changed in the political landscape to some degree over time.

You know who else owned slaves? Francis Scott Key, who wrote our sacred National Anthem about "the land of the free". Think about that the next time you see black football players kneeling when the Star-Spangled Banner is played.
                          Mattingly Winfield was over 30 years ago, you're right things change

I still haven't seen 1 ounce of evidence to show that Whitaker's exclusion is racist.

BTW, I served my country for 11 years, including 3 deployments. I spent countless weeks on guided missle destoyers tracking Soviet submarines during the cold war. I was part of missions in the Persian Gulf that remain classified. So don't lecture me about people having the right to kneel for the anthem, I served so they can express that freedom.

JR you're lost in the sauce man. I can't follow what the hell you're even talking about.
                          read the link

https://www.si.com/vault/1972/02/07/...in-minneapolis

Joe DiMaggio hits his wife and Savoy feels that we must hold it against him for eternity. But Winfield is part of a violent assault and it's OK?
                          Last edited by JR Hart; 06-16-2018, 10:15 AM.
                          This week's Giant

Comment

Joe DiMaggio hits his wife and Savoy feels that we must hold it against him for eternity. But Winfield is part of a violent assault and it's OK?
                            DiMaggio was not a one time thing like Winfield. And Joe did it with more than just one woman. Was Winfield disciplined, either by the law or by the NCAA or the school itself?

1900s League Champion
                            1910s League Champion

1950s League Champion
                            1970s League Champion
                            1980s League Champion

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

At least you've moved away from the preposterous subconscious racism thing.
                              On the contrary. Lots of people who will claim not to have any racial bias DO have racial bias, even if they don't realize it. Then there's those who acknowledge it freely, like a guy I know who won't get on a plane if the pilot is black. He feels that a black pilot must have gotten his job through affirmative action, so he'll get off the plane if he sees a black pilot. I've heard comedians make jokes about this kind of thing, especially black comedians. There's an episode of Sanford and Son where Fred refuses to see a black doctor.

1900s League Champion
                              1910s League Champion

1950s League Champion
                              1970s League Champion
                              1980s League Champion

Comment

Mattingly Winfield was over 30 years ago, you're right things change

I still haven't seen 1 ounce of evidence to show that Whitaker's exclusion is racist.

BTW, I served my country for 11 years, including 3 deployments. I spent countless weeks on guided missle destoyers tracking Soviet submarines during the cold war. I was part of missions in the Persian Gulf that remain classified. So don't lecture me about people having the right to kneel for the anthem, I served so they can express that freedom.

read the link

https://www.si.com/vault/1972/02/07/...in-minneapolis

Yea I read it. This sounds like something between you and SavoyBG that I couldn't begin to understand. I'm just trying to keep Savoy from committing suicide before he looks in a mirror and realizes he's a white devil.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X