Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Trammel over Whitaker inappropriate? Is it racist?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by willshad View Post

I for one don't like to stereotype, and when I meet someone I try my best to judge them on their own personal merits and not on my biases. BUT....it has been my observation that not only do the majority of them embrace the stereotypes, but shove them in your face so hard that you are forced to put them in that 'group'.

Racism is bad, but if someone is going to completely embrace all the negative aspects of their race that people stereotype them for, they really in no position to complain.
    Yo you gotta please unquote his post it's taking up the entire page man.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

If an african american is going to act 'thug', play loud rap music, wear their jeans hanging ground, be lazy at their job, steal, sell and buy drugs etc, then they deserve any racism that comes their way IMO. Let's not pretend that it is totally a one sided thing.
      I know we really don't have any Mods anymore but someone who knows how to work the machinery needs to close this thread, ASAP. If much more of this kind of rank garbage gets posted, I think it's going to get very ugly.
      3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

I for one don't like to stereotype, and when I meet someone I try my best to judge them on their own personal merits and not on my biases. BUT....it has been my observation that not only do the majority of them embrace the stereotypes, but shove them in your face so hard that you are forced to put them in that 'group'.

Racism is bad, but if someone is going to completely embrace all the negative aspects of their race that people stereotype them for, they really in no position to complain.

If an african american is going to act 'thug', play loud rap music, wear their jeans hanging ground, be lazy at their job, steal, sell and buy drugs etc, then they deserve any racism that comes their way IMO. Let's not pretend that it is totally a one sided thing.
        You coulda done without the extra paragraph there ace.
        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

• To the question of whether or not Whitaker's exclusion is the result of racism, I have to say no. He didn't get 3% of the vote. Racism is still a problem in this country, but it's not that huge. Now, Whitaker belongs, and I do believe there's an ignorance that accounts for his vote total, but racism isn't at all the leading reason he's not there. Now, had he had 60 or 65% and not gotten in, then racism might be a rational explanation, as it only takes 25%+1 to keep a guy out, and each vote tainted by racism could easily be the main reason he wasn't inducted.
          Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
          Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
          A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

The last paragraph of this post calls into question the sincerity of the prior two paragraphs. If you are saying thieves and drug dealers and even users deserve what they get, fine. But in this country, we have the first amendment and the freedom to do the remaining items listed. You don't get to lump that stuff in with the rest and get a pass. I will also point out that many of the criminal activities are color-blind, so long as one excludes the color of money. In many cases, that and/or the fix the perpetrator needs are all he or she cares about.

I am a mod, I'm still here, and I have the power to deal with posts like that last quoted paragraph, and this will serve as warning I will in fact do so.
            Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
            Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
            A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X