Playoff Hall of Fame project, group 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
    I'm surprised to see Charley Jones ranked as high as 5th on some ballots. As far as I know, he had 3 standout seasons, two of which were in the AA and one of which was in the very early days of the NL. There's not enough career bulk or pioneering elements to his career to justify ranking him ahead of any of the other players in this group, IMO.
    That's not how I see him.

I see a player who was in the Top 10 WAR six seasons; Top 5 four seasons.
    I see a player who was in the Top 10 OPS+ eight seasons; Top 5 six season; Top 3 three seasons.
    I see a player who was in the Top 10 SLG eight seasons; Top 5 five seasons.
    I see a player who was in the Top 5 triples five seasons.
    I see a player who was in the Top 5 HRs eight seasons; Top 3 six seasons.
    Etc.

I see a player with a ton of power and Extra-Base Hits across much of his career.
    I would say he had 6-8 "damn good" to "great" years.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
      I'm surprised to see Charley Jones ranked as high as 5th on some ballots. As far as I know, he had 3 standout seasons, two of which were in the AA and one of which was in the very early days of the NL. There's not enough career bulk or pioneering elements to his career to justify ranking him ahead of any of the other players in this group, IMO.
      REALLY old thread, but some great groundwork done by Paul Wendt reviewing Charley Jones and Lip Pike's pre-NA careers, Charley appears to have been ready for the bigs a year or two before his first full season of 1876 at age 24:
      http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/...jones_lip_pike

Jones was also blacklisted from the game, for two prime years, and for actions from management that is likely accepted today, how are these seasons handled?

His AA big years were during the peak of the league when the St. Louis Browns defeated the Chicago White Stockings in the playoffs.

I would have given Charley the #3 spot in group 2 if he were slotted in with them.

His case is anything but straight forward, but I support his induction to the HOF/this one.
      Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
      http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Don't know what to do about these really oldtime players.

1. Feller
        2. Bunning
        3. Brown
        4. Finley
        5. Kaat
        6. Start
        7. Jones
        8. DeCinces

Comment

The players from this group moving on to the winners bracket are K. Brown, Bunning, Feller and Start. The rest go into the loser's bracket. The official results:

Code:

84 Bob Feller
          64 Jim Bunning
          60 Kevin Brown
          43 Joe Start
          33 Chuck Finley
          25 Jim Kaat
          20 Charley Jones
          7 Doug DeCinces
          Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
          Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
          A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X