X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Today's Game Committee Elects Harold Baines and Lee Smith

Here's the story.

Wow.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
    Wow.
    I can't emphasis this reaction enough...

Comment

__Brutal__
      Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
      http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

I agree with the Lee Smith election. And even if you don't you could have maybe seen that coming.

Harold Baines, on the other hand....
        His best showing with the BBWAA was 6.1%. And suddenly he gets 75% through the VC?
        Last edited by dgarza; 12-09-2018, 05:57 PM.

Comment

HURRAY for Lee Smith, well deserved and overdue.

not sure about Baines but 1,628 RBI is hard to ignore. so good for him.

stop the whining, this is good for baseball. perhaps gridlock is over.
          This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

Originally posted by JR Hart View Post

this is good for baseball. perhaps gridlock is over.
            I don't see how this has anything to do with gridlock (at least regarding Baines). Was this maybe a "message" vote of some sort?

Comment

0 for 2. I'd be disappointed if I had expected anything better.

Baines isn't the worst player in the Hall, but he's close.
              *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Comment

Terrible day. I did not think it could get any worse with Morris.
                You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the $%#%! plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

Comment

Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
                  HURRAY for Lee Smith, well deserved and overdue.

not sure about Baines but 1,628 RBI is hard to ignore. so good for him.

stop the whining, this is good for baseball. perhaps gridlock is over.
                  I'd have thought you would hate Baines for the HOF given his abysmal showing with the BBWAA. That is usually one of your top go-tos as to why a player isn't a deserving HOFer.
                  1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                  The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by Nerdlinger View Post
                    0 for 2. I'd be disappointed if I had expected anything better.

Baines isn't the worst player in the Hall, but he's close.
                    Baines's career high seasonal WAR is 4.3. There are a few (very few) other HOF position players with worse.

Comment

The selection of Baines is simply atrocious,very annoying and puzzling, unless they (the Today's Game Committee) wanted to upstage the probable upcoming BBWAA election of Edgar Martinez. Worse than Jack Morris. I guess it could be even worse, Joe Carter could have been selected, at this juncture Carter being selected by the Today's Game Committee really wouldn't surprise me, although it would be egregious & outrageous. Smith isn't really deserving, but is a far better pick than Baines & Jack Morris. Shockingly bad, purely pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by cavalier1968 View Post
                        Terrible day. I did not think it could get any worse with Morris.
                        Correct, maybe they can top themselves next election and pick Joe Carter.

Comment

I said in the other thread, if anyone out there were still on the fence about Edgar, Baines getting in should tip the scales decisively.

While Baines would not have been in my personal top four, maybe not even top eight, I'm fine with him getting in.

The committee must have been focusing on career totals. I believe Baines was the only non-PED guy qualified for the ballot but not still on it with more than 1500 RBI not in, and he had quite a few more than 1500. He also had close to 400 HR, close to 3000 hits (probably one ordinary season shy of both).

I think I expressed previously somewhere that with those career totals, Baines might kind of have to get in at some point so he wouldn't be blocking other worthies with lower counting stats. Perhaps that was the thinking.

Lastly, I'm very disappointed that Piniella didn't get the one more vote he needed for induction. While I waffle day-to-day as to whether he is more or less worthy than Davey Johnson, I believe they are both well over the line, and there's an incipient logjam of modern era managers with similar qualifications building up with them, Leyland, Baker, etc., not to mention actives & the just fired. It would have been good to get one of them in this time.

Comment

Originally posted by NJRob65 View Post
                            The selection of Baines is simply atrocious,very annoying and puzzling,
                            I think "puzzling" is the most pertinent adjective.

Comment

Originally posted by Cougar View Post
                              The committee must have been focusing on career totals. I believe Baines was the only non-PED guy qualified for the ballot but not still on it with more than 1500 RBI not in, and he had quite a few more than 1500. He also had close to 400 HR, close to 3000 hits (probably one ordinary season shy of both).
                              I think the two players closest to Baines in terms of RBI and Hit totals are probably Dave Parker and Rusty Staub. Parker was 7 RBIs away from 1500 and is clearly most deserving.

Looking at both the 1981 strike and mid-90s strike, I still don't think Baines would have had 3000 hits, but he could have reached 400 HRs.
                              The 1981 strike surely cost Parker 1500 RBIs.
                              Staub may have reached 300 HRs with a full 1981. Maybe...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X