Playoff Hall of Fame project, group 12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

I'm surprised you don't like McGraw the player for the HoF. Seems like your type of guy even though he's all peak.
    If he had two or three more years like that, yes, I'd agree. I think he was very good, but just not enough for me. The very short career, all peak guys (Charlie Keller and Hughie Jennings also come to mind) aren't HOFers in my estimation. Heck, I'm a guy who isn't convinced that Mike Trout is a HOFer already, and wants him to have one more big year before acclaiming him to be a HOFer.

Nomar had the same issue last round too...just not enough of a career.
    Sox fans are the only ones who seem to remember the 1959 World Series happened.

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

1. Randy Johnson
      2. Duke Snider sligggggghtly ahead of
      3. Carl Hubbell
      4. Buddy Bell slighggggggtly ahead of
      5. Enos Slaughter
      6. Tony Oliva sliggggggggthly ahead of
      7. John McGraw
      8. Dizzy Trout
      1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
      The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Interesting, pretty strong group.

1. RJohnson- clear number 1, top 10 alltime pitcher
        2. Snider- around 50 as position player, just edges out
        3. Hubbell, around 25 as pitcher- I view Snider and Hubbell as having very similar careers
        4. Slaughter- I give him some wartime credit
        5. BBell- never a great player, but a good one for a really long time- a hair ahead of
        6. Oliva, a hair ahead of
        7. McGraw- great player, short career
        8. DTrout- a very good pitcher, but probably the only one on this list without a HOF argument

I see 5, 6, and 7 as basically interchangeable
        Last edited by BigRon; 02-11-2019, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Snider and Hubbell are an interesting comparison. Hubbell gets very little talk from any of us. I can't remember his name ever really coming up here. I might be putting Hubbell at #2 now.
          "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
            Snider and Hubbell are an interesting comparison. Hubbell gets very little talk from any of us. I can't remember his name ever really coming up here. I might be putting Hubbell at #2 now.
            Snider & Hubell aren't really an interesting comparison. Additionally, you already have Hubbell 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by NJRob65 View Post

Snider & Hubell aren't really an interesting comparison. Additionally, you already have Hubbell 2nd.
              I'm a man after my own heart.
              "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

bumping this up with about a day and a half or two left.
                Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

1. Randy Johnson
                  2. Carl Hubbell
                  3. Duke Snider
                  4. Enos Slaughter
                  5. Buddy Bell
                  6. Tony Oliva
                  7. John McGraw
                  8. Dizzy Trout
                  "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                  "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                  "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                  "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

The four that move on to the winners bracket this time are Randy Johnson, Duke Snider, Carl Hubbell and Enos Slaughter. The rest move on to the loser's bracket. The official results:
                    Code:

77 Randy Johnson
                    61 Duke Snider
                    60 Carl Hubbell
                    39 Enos Slaughter
                    29 Buddy Bell
                    21 Tony Oliva
                    19 John McGraw
                    2 Dizzy Trout
                    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X