Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jalbright
    replied
    The four that move on to the winners bracket this time are Randy Johnson, Duke Snider, Carl Hubbell and Enos Slaughter. The rest move on to the loser's bracket. The official results:
    Code:

77 Randy Johnson
    61 Duke Snider
    60 Carl Hubbell
    39 Enos Slaughter
    29 Buddy Bell
    21 Tony Oliva
    19 John McGraw
    2 Dizzy Trout

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    replied
    1. Randy Johnson
    2. Carl Hubbell
    3. Duke Snider
    4. Enos Slaughter
    5. Buddy Bell
    6. Tony Oliva
    7. John McGraw
    8. Dizzy Trout

Leave a comment:

• jalbright
    replied
    bumping this up with about a day and a half or two left.

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    Originally posted by NJRob65 View Post

Snider & Hubell aren't really an interesting comparison. Additionally, you already have Hubbell 2nd.
    I'm a man after my own heart.

Leave a comment:

• NJRob65
    replied
    Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
    Snider and Hubbell are an interesting comparison. Hubbell gets very little talk from any of us. I can't remember his name ever really coming up here. I might be putting Hubbell at #2 now.
    Snider & Hubell aren't really an interesting comparison. Additionally, you already have Hubbell 2nd.

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    Snider and Hubbell are an interesting comparison. Hubbell gets very little talk from any of us. I can't remember his name ever really coming up here. I might be putting Hubbell at #2 now.

Leave a comment:

• BigRon
    replied
    Interesting, pretty strong group.

1. RJohnson- clear number 1, top 10 alltime pitcher
    2. Snider- around 50 as position player, just edges out
    3. Hubbell, around 25 as pitcher- I view Snider and Hubbell as having very similar careers
    4. Slaughter- I give him some wartime credit
    5. BBell- never a great player, but a good one for a really long time- a hair ahead of
    6. Oliva, a hair ahead of
    7. McGraw- great player, short career
    8. DTrout- a very good pitcher, but probably the only one on this list without a HOF argument

I see 5, 6, and 7 as basically interchangeable
    Last edited by BigRon; 02-11-2019, 11:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    1. Randy Johnson
    2. Duke Snider sligggggghtly ahead of
    3. Carl Hubbell
    4. Buddy Bell slighggggggtly ahead of
    5. Enos Slaughter
    6. Tony Oliva sliggggggggthly ahead of
    7. John McGraw
    8. Dizzy Trout

Leave a comment:

• Toledo Inquisition
    replied
    Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

I'm surprised you don't like McGraw the player for the HoF. Seems like your type of guy even though he's all peak.
    If he had two or three more years like that, yes, I'd agree. I think he was very good, but just not enough for me. The very short career, all peak guys (Charlie Keller and Hughie Jennings also come to mind) aren't HOFers in my estimation. Heck, I'm a guy who isn't convinced that Mike Trout is a HOFer already, and wants him to have one more big year before acclaiming him to be a HOFer.

Nomar had the same issue last round too...just not enough of a career.

Leave a comment:

• jalbright
    replied
    Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post

Thanks Jim, poor phrasing on my end.
    If you post enough, you're bound to run into that problem sooner or later. The only reason I posted is what you wrote sounded like this is a single elimination It's not quite a triple elimination format, but that's the closest model to what I've got set up.

Leave a comment:

• Jar of Flies
    replied
    Originally posted by jalbright View Post

Everybody has three at least three rounds. If you win the first three or even three of the first four, you're inducted. If you lose the first three or three of the first four, you're eliminated from further consideration. It gets more complicated after that, but it's spelled out in the rules (start with rule 7 for the 2-2 group)
    Thanks Jim, poor phrasing on my end.

Leave a comment:

• jalbright
    replied
    Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post
    Loaded ballot with everyone at least having an outside argument for HOF status or high hall of very good.
    4. Enos Slaughter - mid-level HOF with war credit, but he might miss the 2nd round with the stiff competition.
    Everybody has three at least three rounds. If you win the first three or even three of the first four, you're inducted. If you lose the first three or three of the first four, you're eliminated from further consideration. It gets more complicated after that, but it's spelled out in the rules (start with rule 7 for the 2-2 group)

Leave a comment:

• Jar of Flies
    replied
    Loaded ballot with everyone at least having an outside argument for HOF status or high hall of very good.

1. Randy Johnson - last active pitcher with 4000 IP, will we see another...pushing inner circle status despite the late start of quality campaigns.
    2. Carl Hubbell
    3. Duke Snider
    4. Enos Slaughter - mid-level HOF with war credit, but he might miss the 2nd round with the stiff competition.
    5. John McGraw
    6. Buddy Bell
    7. Dizzy Trout
    8. Tony Oliva

Leave a comment:

• NJRob65
    replied
    1. Randy Johnson
    2. Duke Snider
    3. Carl Hubbell
    4. Buddy Bell
    5. Enos Slaughter-credit for military service
    6. John McGraw
    7. Tony Oliva
    8. Dizzy Trout

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
    1. Randy Johnson
    2. Carl Hubbell
    3. Duke Snider
    4. Enos Slaughter

----- HOF -----

5. Tony Oliva
    6. Buddy Bell
    7. John McGraw
    8. Dizzy Trout
    I'm surprised you don't like McGraw the player for the HoF. Seems like your type of guy even though he's all peak.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X