Hall of Fame Managers: Round 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall of Fame Managers: Round 1

This will be part of a larger non-player HoF selection I'd like to do...

There are 19 HoF members inducted primarily as managers. I'd like to see what the BB-F HoF forum thinks. I did not include active managers except Bruce Bochy who is retiring after this season. I included a Comiskey, Mack and Wright who are in for various front office roles including managing as well as Chance, Clarke, Boudreau and a couple other player/managers. For this exercise if you believe certain guys should not be considered because they belong moreso as players, owners or general managers that is fine. I would prefer if we only consider managerial accomplishments for eligibility for election in this project. There will be 6 rounds. You may select an unlimited number of men you deem HoF worthy as managers. Anyone receiving over 66% supportwill be elected...

Group 1:
    Cap Anson
    Frank Bancroft
    Charlie Comiskey
    Ned Hanlon
    Jim Mutrie
    Frank Selee
    Harry Wright

Here are the future groups...

Group 2:
    Fred Clarke
    Frank Chance
    Miller Huggins
    Hughie Jennings
    Connie Mack
    John McGraw
    Pat Moran
    Wilbert Robinson
    George Stallings

Group 3:
    Lou Boudreau
    Jimmy Dykes
    Frankie Frisch
    Bucky Harris
    Charlie Grimm
    Joe McCarthy
    Bill McKechnie
    Steve O'Neill
    Burt Shotton
    Billy Southworth

Group 4:
    Walter Alston
    Al Dark
    Chuck Dressen
    Leo Durocher
    Ralph Houk
    Al Lopez
    Gene Mauch
    Danny Murtaugh
    Casey Stengel

Group 5:
    Sparky Anderson
    Whitey Herzog
    Tommy Lasorda
    Billy Martin
    John McNamara
    Red Schoendienst
    Chuck Tanner
    Earl Weaver
    Dick Williams
    Don Zimmer

Group 6:
    Dusty Baker
    Bruce Bochy
    Bobby Cox
    Cito Gaston
    Mike Hargrove
    Davey Johnson
    Tom Kelly
    Tony La Russa
    Jim Leyland
    Lou Piniella
    Buck Showalter
    Joe Torre
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

My Ballot

Group 1
    Cap Anson - belongs as a manager and, separately, as a player
    Ned Hanlon
    Jim Mutrie
    Frank Selee
    Harry Wright - I don't see how you can separate the "pioneer" role from the manager role since it was the manager's role that he, y,know....pioneered.
    Last edited by Chadwick; 03-16-2019, 03:22 PM.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Hanlon and Selee.

Anson belongs as a player, Wright as a pioneer, and Commiskey as an executive.
      Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
      Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
      A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Comiskey was the best manager in the American Association. The Brown Stockings were no easy group to manage.
        Hanlon
        Mutire
        Selee
        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Charlie Comiskey won 4 pennants with .606 winning percentage over 1408 games in 12 seasons.
          Harry Wright won 6 pennants with .579 winning percentage over 2145 games in 23 seasons. Harry also led the 1869 & 1870 Cincinnati clubs to winning records before the first professional leagues existed.
          Frank Selee won 5 pennants with .597 winning percentage over 2180 games in 16 seasons.
          Cap Anson won 5 pennants with .576 winning percentage over 2288 games in 21 seasons.
          Ned Hanlon won 5 pennants with .529 winning percentage over 2530 games in 19 seasons.
          Jim Mutrie won 3 pennants with .607 winning percentage over 1114 games in 9 seasons.

Managers who fall short because of not enough games managed but I consider for an honorable mention list include:
          Bill McGunnigle who managed 2 pennants in only 5 seasons with a .567 winning percentage over 586 games.
          Dick McBride won 1 pennant in 5 seasons with a .653 winning percentage over 251 major league games. He was a winning manager prior to 1871 as well.
          Buck Ewing in 7 seasons as a manager had a .552 winning percentage over 903 games but never won a pennant.
          Frank Bancroft won 1 pennant in 9 seasons with a .529 winning percentage over 718 games.

Comment

Originally posted by SWCBaseball View Post
            Charlie Comiskey won 4 pennants with .606 winning percentage over 1408 games in 12 seasons.
            Harry Wright won 6 pennants with .579 winning percentage over 2145 games in 23 seasons. Harry also led the 1869 & 1870 Cincinnati clubs to winning records before the first professional leagues existed.
            Frank Selee won 5 pennants with .597 winning percentage over 2180 games in 16 seasons.
            Cap Anson won 5 pennants with .576 winning percentage over 2288 games in 21 seasons.
            Ned Hanlon won 5 pennants with .529 winning percentage over 2530 games in 19 seasons.
            Jim Mutrie won 3 pennants with .607 winning percentage over 1114 games in 9 seasons.

Managers who fall short because of not enough games managed but I consider for an honorable mention list include:
            Bill McGunnigle who managed 2 pennants in only 5 seasons with a .567 winning percentage over 586 games.
            Dick McBride won 1 pennant in 5 seasons with a .653 winning percentage over 251 major league games. He was a winning manager prior to 1871 as well.
            Buck Ewing in 7 seasons as a manager had a .552 winning percentage over 903 games but never won a pennant.
            Frank Bancroft won 1 pennant in 9 seasons with a .529 winning percentage over 718 games.
            Yea, I know about all those guys. McBride was closest to making the list. Just figured they didn't merit inclusion with group 1. Kind of like Bobby Valentine with group 6 or Jimy Williams in group 5.

Comment

From that first group:

Harry Wright

Comment

Bancroft
                Mutrie
                Selee
                Hanlon
                Wright

Comment

Comiskey
                  Hanlon
                  Mutrie
                  Selee
                  Wright

Comment

Anson (better player than manager, though)
                    Comiskey
                    Hanlon
                    Mutrie
                    Selee
                    Wright

I'd favor Bancroft as a contributor. As a manager, he seems like something of a one year wonder.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X