Screening Committee for the Eras Committee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screening Committee for the Eras Committee

It must be a hard job to whittle down the choices to 10 to choose from the pool of worthy candidates in the Modern Baseball Era: Choose your 10 that you would want on the list, knowing full well that probably only 7 would get on there due to the vying for spots with executives, managers, and umpires. Sometimes, I think I don't value the confines that the committees have to navigate through...Good luck https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-fam...ras-committees
    Dave Parker
    29.41%
    Dwight Evans
    52.94%
    Bobby Bonds
    23.53%
    Reggie Smith
    58.82%
    Rusty Staub
    11.76%
    Dale Murphy
    64.71%
    Al Oliver
    5.88%
    Cesar Cedeno
    11.76%
    Willie Wilson
    0%
    Fred Lynn
    0%
    George Foster
    5.88%
    Dusty Baker
    0%
    Boog Powell (may be in a different era)
    0%
    Kirk Gibson
    0%
    Bert Campaneris
    5.88%
    Dave Concepcion
    11.76%
    Graig Nettles
    35.29%
    Darrell Evans
    11.76%
    Sal Bando
    11.76%
    Ron Cey
    5.88%
    Buddy Bell
    5.88%
    Lou Whitaker
    76.47%
    Davey Lopes
    0%
    Bobby Grich
    70.59%
    Keith Hernandez
    70.59%
    Cecil Cooper
    0%
    Chris Chambliss
    0%
    Pedro Guerrero
    0%
    Ted Simmons
    82.35%
    Thurman Munson
    52.94%
    Darrell Porter
    0%
    Gene Tenace
    0%
    Lance Parrish
    0%
    Don Baylor
    5.88%
    Jim Kaat
    35.29%
    Vida Blue
    5.88%
    Tommy John
    47.06%
    mickey Lolich (may be another era)
    5.88%
    Luis Tiant
    76.47%
    Jerry Koosman
    5.88%
    Bob Welch
    0%
    Ron Guidry
    17.65%
    Jerry Reuss
    0%
    Frank Tanana
    0%
    Rick Reuschel
    17.65%
    Steve Rogers
    0%
    Charlie Hough
    0%
    Jeff Reardon
    0%
    Dan Quisenberry
    0%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by henrich; 10-21-2019, 07:39 PM.

It was actually a challenge for me to get to 10. Whitaker, Grich, Simmons, Munson I would definitely put in and Hernandez deserves a long, hard look. Otherwise, lots of close but no players.

Comment

I voted for the following nine, who are clearly (IMO) the most deserving candidates of the era:

Bobby Bonds
      Dwight Evans
      Bobby Grich
      Keith Hernandez
      Thurman Munson
      Ted Simmons
      Reggie Smith
      Luis Tiant
      Lou Whitaker

There's another 10-12 who I feel strongly about meriting election, but I just couldn't decide on the 10th spot, primarily because I can't settle on a clear favorite from the four third basemen (Bando, Bell, Evans, Nettles) or two pitchers (Reuschel, Stieb) still in my queue.

I settled the "tie" by deciding that my 10th spot would go to Marvin Miller, whose election is more overdue than any one player of the era. As you pointed out, the committee will certainly include at least one non-player on the ballot.

If you were to put a gun to my head and tell me to pick a 10th man for the actual 2020 ballot - that no non-players would be added this year - then I would go with the player from my queue most likely to find favor with the voters - Dale Murphy or Graig Nettles, I suppose.
      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

My thoughts are very similar to Chadwick

I have the following eight all as easy picks:

Dwight Evans
        Reggie Smith
        Lou Whitaker
        Bobby Grich
        Keith Hernandez
        Ted Simmons
        Thurman Munson
        Luis Tiant

I don't quite have Bonds as high, but he does get consideration. I also have trouble picking two from the four 3B (Bando, Bell, Evans, Nettles).

So for my ninth I went with Rick Reuschel.

Willie Randolph and Dave Stieb should both be on this poll. They would both be vying for my 10th spot. I would most likely give the nod to Randolph. I've only voted for nine, because one of these two would be my 10th

Comment

Koosman had a period, after his early peak, spoiled by injuries. In this he was like Tiant, though not as bad as Tiant's worst. Tiant's peak seasons were a bit better than Koosman's, perhaps, though Koosman probably deserved the 1976 NL CYA as much as Jones. (Seaver had the best peripherals overall. If current standards were applied to voting then, he would have won a lot more hardware.) I think Koosman was hurt by the fact he never really played for any good teams. The late 70's Mets had terrible fielding, too. He's underrated.

I was looking at Reuschel's numbers: his bloated rWAR for 1977 compared to 1988, for example. rWAR yields a lot of wacky results. Reuschel's career rWAR totals are an example.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

I could have put 15. I winnowed it down to the following 10:

Evans
            Smith
            Murphy
            Nettles - back and forth with Parker
            Whitaker
            Grich
            Hernandez
            Simmons
            Munson
            Tiant

I also had John and Bonds on my list before I counted them off. Others I could have added like Evans, Concepcion and Bando I passed over.

Comment

Two years ago we did a project ranking the top candidates from the Modern Baseball Eras Committee. The pool of players being considered this year is unchanged, except for the two players they elected, Trammell and Morris. Here are the results from our project:
              Players deserving the HOF
              1 Alan Trammell
              2 Lou Whitaker
              3 Bobby Grich
              4 Dwight Evans
              5 Ted Simmons
              6 Keith Hernandez
              7 Luis Tiant
              8 Reggie Smith
              9 Thurman Munson
              10 Graig Nettles
              11 Bobby Bonds
              12 Dave Stieb
              13 Willie Randolph
              14 Tommy John
              15 Darrell Evans
              16 Dale Murphy
              17 Sal Bando
              Top ten rejected
              1 Rick Reuschel
              2 Ron Guidry
              3 Buddy Bell
              4 Don Mattingly
              5 Bert Campaneris
              6 Fred Lynn
              7 Dave Concepcion
              8 Dave Parker
              9 Wilbur Wood
              10 Jack Morris
              2nd ten rejected
              11 Cesar Cedeno
              12 Ron Cey
              13 Dan Quisenberry
              14 John Hiller
              15 Jack Clark
              16 Jose Cruz
              17 George Foster
              18 Jerry Koosman
              19 Gene Tenace
              20 Vida Blue
              3rd ten rejected
              21 Chet Lemon
              22 Steve Garvey
              23 Roy White
              24 Toby Harrah
              25 Frank Tanana
              26 Darrell Porter
              27 Rusty Staub
              28 Al Oliver
              29 Lance Parrish
              30 Mickey Lolich
              Besides Stieb and Randolph, other notable omissions from the poll are Don Mattingly and Wilbur Wood.
              Last edited by Freakshow; 10-22-2019, 08:59 AM.
              Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice.

Comprehensive Reform for the Veterans Committee -- Fixing the Hall continued.

Comment

Munson, Kaat, John, Tiant, Guidry and Staub. The last name is because if we're going to put Harold Baines in the HOF, then we'd better put the guy in who is Harold Baines for the previous generation (and might have made 3000 hits had he played his last five years in the AL instead of becoming a full time pinch hitter)

Comment

I could have picked a whole lot of these guys; I think nearly all of them are over the bar.

But I tried to pick the most deserving. Ended up going pitcher-heavy.

Dale Murphy
                  Lou Whitaker
                  Bobby Grich
                  Ted Simmons
                  Thurman Munson
                  Luis Tiant
                  Jim Kaat
                  Tommy John
                  Ron Guidry
                  Mickey Lolich
                  Last edited by Cougar; 10-22-2019, 07:13 PM. Reason: Fixed typo.

Comment

I wouldn't vote for all but way more than ten (maybe 37) I went with:

Graig Nettles
                    Dave Parker
                    Luis Tiant
                    Rick Reuschel
                    Ted Simmons
                    Bobby Grich
                    Lou Whitaker
                    Reggie Smith
                    Darrell Evans
                    Keith Hernandez

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                      I voted for the following nine, who are clearly (IMO) the most deserving candidates of the era:

Bobby Bonds
                      Dwight Evans
                      Bobby Grich
                      Keith Hernandez
                      Thurman Munson
                      Ted Simmons
                      Reggie Smith
                      Luis Tiant
                      Lou Whitaker

There's another 10-12 who I feel strongly about meriting election, but I just couldn't decide on the 10th spot, primarily because I can't settle on a clear favorite from the four third basemen (Bando, Bell, Evans, Nettles) or two pitchers (Reuschel, Stieb) still in my queue.

I settled the "tie" by deciding that my 10th spot would go to Marvin Miller, whose election is more overdue than any one player of the era. As you pointed out, the committee will certainly include at least one non-player on the ballot.

If you were to put a gun to my head and tell me to pick a 10th man for the actual 2020 ballot - that no non-players would be added this year - then I would go with the player from my queue most likely to find favor with the voters - Dale Murphy or Graig Nettles, I suppose.
                      I voted for Grich, Hernandez, Simmons, Smith, Tiant, Whitaker from that list along with Murphy, Oliver, Kaat, John and Dusty Baker (combo) as deserving. Yes, I know that is 11...I must have left one person off, but I can't see who I voted for. I'll say these guys deserve a look at least...I was overly fair to Grich, even though my opinion on him is well known.
                      Take me out to the ballgame. Take me out to the crowd. Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks. I don't care if I never get back. LET ME ROOT, ROOT, ROOT FOR THE CUBBIES. This Space For Rent

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
                        I voted for Grich, Hernandez, Simmons, Smith, Tiant, Whitaker from that list along with Murphy, Oliver, Kaat, John and Dusty Baker (combo) as deserving. Yes, I know that is 11...I must have left one person off, but I can't see who I voted for. I'll say these guys deserve a look at least...I was overly fair to Grich, even though my opinion on him is well known.
                        You were fair. Is it a stretch for you to say that Grich is one of the 10 best players outside Cooperstown from that era (whether or not he's Hall-worthy IYO)?

As for Baker, the Hall of Fame does permit "combo" cases, but classifies the individual in the category under which his greatest achievements were made. This is why Gil Hodges is routinely listed as a player from the 1950s (whatever that era is called at a given time). Baker's managerial career is pretty clearly the greater portion of his achievements and, therefore, is almost certainly going to be a Today's Game candidate. He probably shouldn't be in the above poll on account of that.

I have come around on Baker, who I personally thought was overrated as a manager, but who does, in fact, meet the standards of Cooperstown.

Murphy is, for me, someone who ranks lower on the numbers, but whose candidacy (in a vacuum), I can support. He's not one of the 10 best players remaining from this era, but he's probably one of the 10 most-electable and he is, IMO, deserving.
                        "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                        "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                          You were fair. Is it a stretch for you to say that Grich is one of the 10 best players outside Cooperstown from that era (whether or not he's Hall-worthy IYO)?

As for Baker, the Hall of Fame does permit "combo" cases, but classifies the individual in the category under which his greatest achievements were made. This is why Gil Hodges is routinely listed as a player from the 1950s (whatever that era is called at a given time). Baker's managerial career is pretty clearly the greater portion of his achievements and, therefore, is almost certainly going to be a Today's Game candidate. He probably shouldn't be in the above poll on account of that.

I have come around on Baker, who I personally thought was overrated as a manager, but who does, in fact, meet the standards of Cooperstown.

Murphy is, for me, someone who ranks lower on the numbers, but whose candidacy (in a vacuum), I can support. He's not one of the 10 best players remaining from this era, but he's probably one of the 10 most-electable and he is, IMO, deserving.
                          I'd say that Grich is likely in the 9-15 range, so I put him in because there is a strong majority who believes he's so worthy. I don't have a strong preference saying "this guy is undoubtedly better than Grich" comparing him to some of these other 9-15th ranked guys, so I put him in. Having argued against him in the HOF I don't want to misrate him unfairly, so I'll go with the consensus when things could swing either way - the differences would be small regardless of which way I picked.
                          Take me out to the ballgame. Take me out to the crowd. Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks. I don't care if I never get back. LET ME ROOT, ROOT, ROOT FOR THE CUBBIES. This Space For Rent

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
                            I'd say that Grich is likely in the 9-15 range, so I put him in because there is a strong majority who believes he's so worthy.
                            Unfortunately, that's a majority in this thread, not on the committee. *wink*

I hear ya.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X