• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOFers in this World Series

This guy is really stretching it.

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-nati...hall-of-famers

This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Both teams have at least one future Hall of Famer on the roster. The rest are too much of a dark horse or too early to tell. Nothing to see here, folks.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Verlander, Greinke and Scherzer are future HOFers barring a scandal. The rest are too soon to tell.

Comment

Jose Altuve is certainly on a Hall of Fame track. He hasn't sealed his Hall of Fame quite yet but if he has another three or so top seasons especially Altuve becomes a legit 25-30 HR a season second baseman.
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
          Both teams have at least one future Hall of Famer on the roster. The rest are too much of a dark horse or too early to tell. Nothing to see here, folks.
          Altuve? Grienke?

pretty close
          This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

Originally posted by JR Hart View Post

Altuve? Grienke?

pretty close
            Altuve probably will get there eventually, but he hasn't done enough yet. I'm surprised Greinke is not a consensus choice at this point. His 16 year career is pretty impressive by today's standards.

Comment

Originally posted by JR Hart View Post

Altuve? Grienke?

pretty close
              I was referring to Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer.
              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Talking up Alvarez as a possible HOFer when the kid's 22. Gotta love clickbait. Interesting note about the 1932 Series, though.

The only surefires at this moment are the aces of each staff–former Detroit Tiger teammates Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer.

Comment

Agreed that Verlander, Greinke and Scherzer are the only sure fire choices. Also agreed that Altuve has himself on a Hall track with the style of play and personality to suggest he could keep it up as long as he stays healthy.

But lets not get carried away. We are in a new era now, with the old standards and thresholds out-dated. Rate stats will dominate in pitching (K to W, K to IP, W to IP, H to IP, WHIP, and FIP) and hitting (slash lines of ave, OBP and SLG). But lets not limit ourselves just because of any new era..... some pitchers will continue to be compilers. Strasburg and Gerrit Cole would have been such pitchers prior to this year, and this past year suggests that peaks have arrived. So how long will Strasburg's and Cole's peaks be, and will they stick around to contribute past that point?

It has always been anyone's guess which players and pitchers become compilers. That is the fun of watching the game, to see who becomes what.

An even bigger question, IMO, is the mindset any player or pitcher brings to his contract negotiation. Any ballplayer could shortcircuit a Hall track by signing with the wrong team in the wrong park, and then make himself unaffordable to keep because they suddenly can't put it up. How many 2-year deals, 3-year deals and 4-year deals become albatrosses because of this? That list is so long, and we all know of a favorite.... Dallas Keuchel, Jake Arrieta, Aaron Sale, Jacoby Ellsbury.

Just IMO, but I believe today's player is more interested in breaking the bank, and if they swing themselves out of the league or come up with a sore arm, c'est la vie. I hate it, but this is how they think today.

Guess I'm ranting again. I expect Anthony Rendon has brought himself to peak and is very much a factor both at the plate and in the field. Soto is obviously very young, Correa and Bregman are still very young, and Springer plays with zeal. For all we know Springer's enthusiasm and style will allow him to compile very well. Could the Astros build and sustain around George Springer? If I was the Astros GM, I'd love to find out.
                  Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X