Progress on Personal HOF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress on Personal HOF

I found these forums a few years back and became fascinated with Hall of Fame talk. After spending countless of hours on here reading other people's opinions, I was determined to start researching and begining to finalize my own personal HOF. It has taken me longer then I originally anticipated, and I am not nearly complete, but I feel I have made great progress in this. I ultimately ended up breaking out the candidates by Era Committees, recently retired players, and players currently on the ballot. I decided to start the process off I would only look at players from post 1950, ignoring anyone who would be part of Early Baseball Ballot. Evaluating and researching those players and those eras would be phase 2 of my project. After years of research I feel confident in adding these players into my Personal HOF:

Catcher (3): Joe Mauer, Thurman Munson, Ted Simmons

First Base (6): Dick Allen, Todd Helton, Keith Hernandez, Fred McGriff, Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro

Second Base (4): Bobby Grich, Jeff Kent, Chase Utley, Lou Whitaker

Shortstop (2): Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez

Third Base (4): Adrian Beltre, Ken Boyer, Graig Nettles, Scott Rolen

Left Field (5): Albert Belle, Barry Bonds, Minnie Minoso, Manny Ramirez, Pete Rose

Center Field (3): Carlos Beltran, Andruw Jones, Kenny Lofton

Right Field (6): Dwight Evans, Gary Sheffield, Reggie Smith, Sammy Sosa, Ichiro Suzuki, Larry Walker

Designated Hitter (1): David Ortiz

Starting Pitcher (6): Kevin Brown, Roger Clemens, Tommy John, C.C. Sabathia, Curt Schilling, Luis Tiant

Closer (1): Billy Wagner

I have added 41 players to my HOF while giving strong consideration to the following who I feel just fell short:

1. Bill Freehan
    2. Will Clark
    3. Sal Bando
    4. Buddy Bell
    5. Lance Berkman
    6. Jim Edmonds
    7. Dale Murphy
    8. Jimmy Wynn
    9. Bobby Abreu
    10. Bobby Bonds
    11. Tony Oliva
    12. David Cone
    13. Billy Pierce
    14. Rick Reuschel
    15. Bret Saberhagen
    16. Johan Santana
    17. Dave Stieb
    18. Jorge Posada
    19. Carlos Delgado

Now my next step is to determine pre-1950 players. I would love to hear all of your thoughts and comments if you feel there are any egregious omissions or anyone I should take a deeper look into.

Last edited by DaKid12; 10-30-2019, 04:41 PM.

I have Bonds over the line, but other than that nice list.

How do you feel about Stan Hack in regards to your second list?
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

Originally posted by DaKid12 View Post
      I found these forums a few years back and became fascinated with Hall of Fame talk. After spending countless of hours on here reading other people's opinions, I was determined to start researching and begining to finalize my own personal HOF. It has taken me longer then I originally anticipated, and I am not nearly complete, but I feel I have made great progress in this. I ultimately ended up breaking out the candidates by Era Committees, recently retired players, and players currently on the ballot. I decided to start the process off I would only look at players from post 1950, ignoring anyone who would be part of Early Baseball Ballot. Evaluating and researching those players and those eras would be phase 2 of my project. After years of research I feel confident in adding these players into my Personal HOF:

Catcher (3): Joe Mauer, Thurman Munson, Ted Simmons

First Base (6): Dick Allen, Todd Helton, Keith Hernandez, Fred McGriff, Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro

Second Base (4): Bobby Grich, Jeff Kent, Chase Utley, Lou Whitaker

Shortstop (2): Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez

Third Base (4): Adrian Beltre, Ken Boyer, Graig Nettles, Scott Rolen

Left Field (5): Albert Belle, Barry Bonds, Minnie Minoso, Manny Ramirez, Pete Rose

Center Field (3): Carlos Beltran, Andruw Jones, Kenny Lofton

Right Field (6): Dwight Evans, Gary Sheffield, Reggie Smith, Sammy Sosa, Ichiro Suzuki, Larry Walker

Designated Hitter (1): David Ortiz

Starting Pitcher (6): Kevin Brown, Roger Clemens, Tommy John, C.C. Sabathia, Curt Schilling, Luis Tiant

Closer (1): Billy Wagner

I have added 41 players to my HOF while giving strong consideration to the following who I feel just fell short:

1. Bill Freehan
      2. Will Clark
      3. Sal Bando
      4. Buddy Bell
      5. Lance Berkman
      6. Jim Edmonds
      7. Dale Murphy
      8. Jimmy Wynn
      9. Bobby Abreu
      10. Bobby Bonds
      11. Tony Oliva
      12. David Cone
      13. Billy Pierce
      14. Rick Reuschel
      15. Bret Saberhagen
      16. Johan Santana
      17. Dave Stieb
      18. Jorge Posada
      19. Carlos Delgado

Now my next step is to determine pre-1950 players. I would love to hear all of your thoughts and comments if you feel there are any egregious omissions or anyone I should take a deeper look into.
      Good to have you again DaKid...for a consideration set, I would check out the Single Ballot Hall of Fame:
      https://www.baseball-fever.com/forum...f-hall-of-fame
      Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
      http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Originally posted by 1905 Giants View Post
        I have Bonds over the line, but other than that nice list.

How do you feel about Stan Hack in regards to your second list?
        Stan Hack is someone I definitely have down as someone to consider and research. Right now I have 6 definites in Bill Dahlen, Jack Glasscock, Indian Bob Johnson, Sherry Magee, Shoeless Joe Jackson, and Ed Cicotte.

Comment

Edmonds is someone you may want to reconsider as he's basically Walker's equal, at least that's how I see it.

Comment

Great list.

Do I understand then that your PHOF will consist of your additions plus the existing membership of Cooperstown? Or do you intend to parse through Cooperstown's existing membership list, perhaps dropping a few who fall outside your approval?

I would suggest the following to add for future review to your "just missed" list. You may already have gone over these enough to have a definitive "no" opinion so feel free to disregard any or all of them. They are just suggestions for a second look, primarily as they have similar cases to the others already on your list.

Willie Davis
            Darrell Evans
            John Olerud
            Willie Randolph
            Bernie Williams

You certainly have very good groupings - of similarly productive players - at each position, which is a great indicator of where you're comfortable drawing lines.

Excited to see the next phase!
            "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
            "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
            "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
            "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Excellent list, my personal interpretations have lead me to a greater percentage of pitchers than what you have, you've pretty well covered the bases on position players.

My guys to consider beyond the suggestions up thread:
              Kevin Appier
              Bert Campaneris
              Jason Giambi
              Dwight Gooden
              Orel Hershiser
              Tim Hudson
              Roy Oswalt
              Andy Pettitte

Are you planning to include Negro Leaguers also/some candidates have resumes that run strong in the 1950s, ala Don Newcombe and Marvin Williams.
              Last edited by Jar of Flies; 10-30-2019, 08:35 PM.
              Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
              http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

JOF - you don't have Chuck Finley in that group?
                "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Good stuff. I agree with about everyone.

good to see Albert Belle up there. Belle clearly belongs. I've never understood posters who are down on Belle.

Darrrell Evans couldn't carry Albert Belle's batting doughnut.
                  This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
                    Good stuff. I agree with about everyone.

good to see Albert Belle up there. Belle clearly belongs. I've never understood posters who are down on Belle.

Darrrell Evans couldn't carry Albert Belle's batting doughnut.
                    Geez do we really have to troll with Darrell Evans on someone PHOF that doesn't even mention him?

The list is very solid.

Comment

I think it's a great list too.

I'm always a little surprised when someone supports Tommy John but not Jim Kaat (or vice versa). Most of the angles I look at it (not just pitcher wins, although that's the obvious one), their cases are really similar.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post

Geez do we really have to troll with Darrell Evans on someone PHOF that doesn't even mention him?
                        Chadwick brought Evans up; JR pretty much has a Pavlovian reaction to DE. (No offense intended.)

Comment

Originally posted by Cougar View Post

Chadwick brought Evans up; JR pretty much has a Pavlovian reaction to DE. (No offense intended.)
                          Gotcha, lol

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post

The list is very solid.
                            He was mentioned.

It's hardly trolling.

Was it trolling when I said that Rod Carew was way overrated on another thread, which started 10 pages of discussion.

JR pretty much has a Pavlovian reaction to DE.
                            Well he's light years from the hall IMO. As far as my reaction. I cringe when I see his name put forward for the hall.
                            Last edited by JR Hart; 10-31-2019, 09:19 AM.
                            This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

Nice list! If you are considering relievers beyond Wagner, Tom Henke and Joe Nathan are both worth looking into.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X