Mass Induction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Induction

If you could pick 100 players for a mass induction no longer on the BBWAA Ballot, who would they be? Negro League and Japanese players are eligible for this post. Also players not yet eligible for Eras Ballots are eligible for this. So you can vote for Kenny Lofton, Jim Edmonds. etc.

Does it have to be 100?
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

Let me preface my lists with the following opinions.

1. It would be deeply unwise to add 100 players to Cooperstown at one time, even if expanding the number of players from 261 to 361 was, in fact, desirable.
      2. While I am for a bigger Hall of Fame in Cooperstown for the purposes of correcting mistakes of omission and of establishing a greater consistency at where the in/out line is drawn, I am not necessarily convinced that it would take 100 additional players to achieve that. It may take 50, it may take 150. I don't know.
      3. Given the instructions in the OP, I assumed that Pete Rose, Joe Jackson and Eddie Cicotte were ineligible for this exercise as they are (permanently) ineligible for Cooperstown. If that was an oversight in the OP and they are, in fact, eligible, then all three should be added to my Absolutes list (see below).
      4. Unlike banned players, however, I assume there is room to fudge on the eligibility of "pioneers" like Ross Barnes, where the exclusion is the number of seasons and that can be (a) reasonably debated and (b) waived, as it was for Addie Joss.

Finally, I broke my names into two lists. The first is what I'm calling my Absolutes because these are the players I am rock-solid on who belong in Cooperstown, no question in my mind. The second list are my Probables, who are the other guys that I'm willing (on most days) to make a case for, but who, for whatever reason, don't quite merit the conviction I have for the first group.

The total is just over 100 names, but that's because I was primarily concerned with the first group. If the latter group must be trimmed, I could just as easily decide the final X names by flipping a coin, so close are many of them.

ABSOLUTES
      P – Kevin Brown, David Cone, Wes Ferrell, Billy Pierce, Rick Reuschel, Bret Saberhagen, Johan Santana, Urban Shocker, Dave Stieb, Luis Tiant, Billy Wagner
      C – Charlie Bennett, Thurman Munson, Wally Schang, Ted Simmons
      1B – Dick Allen, Keith Hernandez, Fred McGriff, Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro, Joe Start
      2B – Ross Barnes, Bobby Grich, Willie Randolph, Lou Whitaker
      3B – Sal Bando, Buddy Bell, Ken Boyer, Darrell Evans, Graig Nettles
      SS – Bill Dahlen, Jack Glasscock
      LF – Lance Berkman, Bob Johnson, Charlie Keller, Sherry Magee, Minnie Minoso
      CF – Jim Edmonds, George Gore, Paul Hines, Kenny Lofton, Jim Wynn
      RF – Bobby Bonds, Dwight Evans, Reggie Smith
      Negro Leaguers – John Beckwith, Perucho Cepeda, Home Run Johnson, Dick Lundy, Dobie Moore, Dick Redding, Quincy Trouppe
      Japanese Leaguers – Isao Harimoto, Shigeo Nagashima, Katsuya Nomura, Hiromitsu Ochiai, Sadaharu Oh

PROBABLES
      P – Babe Adams, Kevin Appier, Tommy Bond, Tommy Bridges, Mark Buehrle, Charlie Buffinton, Bob Caruthers, Wilbur Cooper, Chuck Finley, Dwight Gooden, Orel Hershiser, John Hiller, Tim Hudson, Tommy John, Jim McCormick, Tony Mullane, Joe Nathan, Don Newcombe, Roy Oswalt, Dan Quisenberry
      C – Bill Freehan, Cal McVey, Lance Parrish, Darrell Porter, Jorge Posada, Jim Sundberg, Gene Tenace
      1B – Norm Cash, Will Clark, Carlos Delgado, Gil Hodges, Don Mattingly, John Olerud
      2B – Cupid Childs, Fred Dunlap, Hardy Richardson
      3B – Ron Cey, Bob Elliott, Heinie Groh, Stan Hack, Ezra Sutton, Robin Ventura
      SS – Bert Campaneris, Art Fletcher, Jim Fregosi, Nomar Garciaparra, Vern Stephens, Miguel Tejada
      LF – Albert Belle, Jose Cruz, Charley Jones, Jimmy Sheckard, Harry Stovey, Bobby Veach
      CF – Pete Browning, Willie Davis, Tommy Leach, Dale Murphy, Bernie Williams
      RF – Rocky Colavito, Tony Oliva, Dave Parker
      Negro Leaguers – Newt Allen, Hurley McNair, Alejandro Oms, Chino Smith, Wild Bill Wright
      Japanese Leaguers – Akira Bessho, Yutaka Enatsu, Yutaka Fukumoto, Kazuhisa Inao, Masaichi Kaneda, Hiromitsu Kadota, Victor Starffin, Koji Yamamoto, Kazuhiro Yamauchi

Figured I'd start things out. Folks, if I can make these kinds of lists, anyone can. Looking forward to reading yours.
      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post

1. It would be deeply unwise to add 100 players to Cooperstown at one time, even if expanding the number of players from 261 to 361 was, in fact, desirable.
        2. While I am for a bigger Hall of Fame in Cooperstown for the purposes of correcting mistakes of omission and of establishing a greater consistency at where the in/out line is drawn, I am not necessarily convinced that it would take 100 additional players to achieve that. It may take 50, it may take 150. I don't know.
        3. Given the instructions in the OP, I assumed that Pete Rose, Joe Jackson and Eddie Cicotte were ineligible for this exercise as they are (permanently) ineligible for Cooperstown. If that was an oversight in the OP and they are, in fact, eligible, then all three should be added to my Absolutes list (see below).
        4. Unlike banned players, however, I assume there is room to fudge on the eligibility of "pioneers" like Ross Barnes, where the exclusion is the number of seasons and that can be (a) reasonably debated and (b) waived, as it was for Addie Joss.

Finally, I broke my names into two lists. The first is what I'm calling my Absolutes because these are the players I am rock-solid on who belong in Cooperstown, no question in my mind. The second list are my Probables, who are the other guys that I'm willing (on most days) to make a case for, but who, for whatever reason, don't quite merit the conviction I have for the first group.

The total is just over 100 names, but that's because I was primarily concerned with the first group. If the latter group must be trimmed, I could just as easily decide the final X names by flipping a coin, so close are many of them.

ABSOLUTES
        P – Kevin Brown, David Cone, Wes Ferrell, Billy Pierce, Rick Reuschel, Bret Saberhagen, Johan Santana, Urban Shocker, Dave Stieb, Luis Tiant, Billy Wagner
        1B – Dick Allen, Keith Hernandez, Fred McGriff, Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro, Joe Start
        Negro Leaguers – John Beckwith, Perucho Cepeda, Home Run Johnson, Dick Lundy, Dobie Moore, Dick Redding, Quincy Trouppe
        Japanese Leaguers – Isao Harimoto, Shigeo Nagashima, Katsuya Nomura, Hiromitsu Ochiai, Sadaharu Oh

PROBABLES
        P – Babe Adams, Kevin Appier, Tommy Bond, Tommy Bridges, Mark Buehrle, Charlie Buffinton, Bob Caruthers, Wilbur Cooper, Chuck Finley, Dwight Gooden, Orel Hershiser, John Hiller, Tim Hudson, Tommy John, Jim McCormick, Tony Mullane, Joe Nathan, Don Newcombe, Roy Oswalt, Dan Quisenberry
        C – Bill Freehan, Cal McVey, Lance Parrish, Darrell Porter, Jorge Posada, Jim Sundberg, Gene Tenace
        1B – Norm Cash, Will Clark, Carlos Delgado, Gil Hodges, Don Mattingly, John Olerud
        SS – Bert Campaneris, Art Fletcher, Jim Fregosi, Nomar Garciaparra, Vern Stephens, Miguel Tejada
        LF – Albert Belle, Jose Cruz, Charley Jones, Jimmy Sheckard, Harry Stovey, Bobby Veach
        Negro Leaguers – Newt Allen, Hurley McNair, Alejandro Oms, Chino Smith, Wild Bill Wright
        Japanese Leaguers – Akira Bessho, Yutaka Enatsu, Yutaka Fukumoto, Kazuhisa Inao, Masaichi Kaneda, Hiromitsu Kadota, Victor Starffin, Koji Yamamoto, Kazuhiro Yamauchi

Figured I'd start things out. Folks, if I can make these kinds of lists, anyone can. Looking forward to reading yours.
        Darn, I just looked and maxing out everyone (Pete Rose, active guys, very low end probable, etc.) and I've only got 45-50! I'm not even close to 100, no matter how big I can see my HOF getting!
        Take me out to the ballgame. Take me out to the crowd. Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks. I don't care if I never get back. LET ME ROOT, ROOT, ROOT FOR THE CUBBIES. This Space For Rent

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by 1905 Giants View Post
          Does it have to be 100?
          No it doesn't and you can use anyone who is banned (Pete Rose) or doesn't meet the ten year mark (Ross Barnes).

Comment

Originally posted by Stieb37 View Post
            If you could pick 100 players for a mass induction no longer on the BBWAA Ballot, who would they be? Negro League and Japanese players are eligible for this post. Also players not yet eligible for Eras Ballots are eligible for this. So you can vote for Kenny Lofton, Jim Edmonds. etc.
            I'll have to try and take a look soon if possible , but this is a HUGE number.
            If I can, I'll attempt to setup in a way similar to Chadwick, guys above the grey area and guys in the grey area that would constitute a BIG Hall of Fame, a project I believe Cowtipper ran a handful of years ago.
            Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
            http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Personally, I don't think the HOF should be expanded significantly, more than its typical rate. I also don't believe in kicking guys out- which clearly isn't going to happen. I'd probably come up with a list of 20 or so who I think are most deserving.

Comment

C Posada, Howard, Simmons...Munson, Schang, L. Parrish, V. Martinez 3/7
                1B Rose, Palmeiro, Garvey, McGriff, Hodges, K. Hernandez...McGwire, Giambi, Galarraga, T. Martinez, Olerud, Berkman, Mattingly, Delgado, McInnis, Konerko, D. Allen, W. Clark 6/16
                2B none....Knoblauch, Jim Gilliam 0/2
                3B Nettles, Boyer K., M. Williams, Darrell Evans 4
                SS M. Wills, Campaneris, Dahlen, 3
                LF Foster, Carter, Sherry Magee, Harry Stovey...Luis Gonzalez, Jimmy Sheckard, Minnie Minoso, Boog Powell, Heinie Manush 3/8
                CF Bernie Williams, Johnny Damon, Dale Murphy (CF/RF), Kenny Lofton, Andruw Jones, Steve Finley, Vada Pinson, Willie Davis, Al Oliver, Jim Edmonds, Jimmy Ryan...Willie McGee, Marquis Grissom, Devon White 11/14
                RF Dave Parker, Dwight Evans....Jose Canseco, Paul O'Neill, Bobby Abreu, Bobby Bonds, Roger Maris, Reggie Smith, Hank Bauer 2/9
                DH Don Baylor, Chili Davis 2
                RP John Franco...Jeff Reardon, Randy Myers, Dan Quisenberry, 1/4
                SP Jim Kaat, Vida Blue, Tommy John, Mickey Lolich, Allie Reynolds, David Cone, Luis Tiant, Billy Pierce, Bob Welch, Paul Derringer, Jerry Koosman, Bucky Walters, Ron Guidry...Bullet Bush, Tommy Bridges, Dwight Gooden, Bobo Newsom, Jack Powell, Jerry Reuss, Mike Cueller, Jack Quinn, Orel Hershiser, Sad Jones, Jim McCormick*, Frank Tanana, Fernando Valenzuela, Bob Shawkey, Babe Adams, Ed Reulbach, Eddie Cicottte, Dave McNally, Carl Mays, Camilo Pascuel, Larry French, Dennis Martinez 14/35 13+McCormick

That's 69-104-if it has to be 100 I'd cut D. martinez, L. French, Devon White, V. martinez

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post

ABSOLUTES

PROBABLES

Awesome list Chadwick

Comment

If this ever really happened, we would see Joe Carter, Chili Davis, Chet Lemon and just about any other player who accumulated a lot of playing time over the past 50 years in the HOF. We would still not see people like Ross Barnes or Doc Adams in the HOF.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X