Tommy John, NYY/CHW/LAD/CAL/CLE/OAK SP, 1963-1989

Don Mattingly, NYY 1B, 1982-1995

Marvin Miller, Exec. director of MLB Players Association, 1966-1982

Thurman Munson, NYY C, 1969-1979

Dale Murphy, ATL/PHI/COL OF, 1976-1993

Dave Parker, PIT/CIN/OAK/MIL/CAL/TOR RF, 1973-1991

Ted Simmons, STL/MIL/ATL C, 1968-1988

Lou Whitaker, DET 2B, 1977-1995

The Era Committee will vote on the candidates on December 8.

I support the selection of Dwight Evans, Marvin Miller, Thurman Munson & Lou Whitaker. Ted Simmons is also acceptable.

Comment

Ohhhh...imagine if Steve Garvey is elected....

While I currently/personally support Simmons, Whitaker, Murphy and John, there is a lot of completion. I foresee a lot of divided ballots amongst the VC. Getting to 75% will be hard....I think the only two with a likely chance of getting elected are Whitaker and maybe Miller. I think anyone else will be a major surprise.

If Mattingly makes it, that will be the biggest reach since the days of the Frisch committee.
      Take me out to the ballgame. Take me out to the crowd. Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks. I don't care if I never get back. LET ME ROOT, ROOT, ROOT FOR THE CUBBIES. This Space For Rent

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Miller has to go in. I would be disappointed if Whitaker and Simmons don't. I would not complain about Munson, Murphy or Evans (in that order).

Comment

A shame that Tiant was taken off instead of someone else.......

Comment

Overall, that's a pretty solid list. Marvin Miller, Dave Parker, Dale Murphy, Dwight Evans Ted Simmons and Tommy John should already be in the HOF. I've made my peace with Garvey as well. Munson and Whitaker I understand. Mattingly meh.

Comment

None.....cept perhaps Lou.
              You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the $%#%! plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

Comment

Simmons was one vote away last time and I bet he makes it. Given the new World Order of cronyism and Sabermetric-backlash statements, who the hell knows who else might get elected.
                1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Trammel is in the HOF, so I predict Whitaker will join him this year. None of the people on that ballot would bother me if they are elected.

Comment

I worry a bit that the ballot is set up somewhat to block some players.

At catcher, Simmons & Munson may cannibalize each other.

At first base, Garvey and Mattingly will split support.

Murphy, Parker, & Evans are outfield contemporaries that lack a clear pecking order (varying by criteria).

Marvin Miller, who knows? He obviously belongs but he's been consistently blocked by a hostile minority, usually front office types and/or owners.

Lou Whitaker caught a big break; he's the only fielding & throwing infielder (i.e., not first base or catcher). He could have easily been paired with Grich, and I imagine even Willie Randolph or Frank White might have siphoned support. But not only are there no other second basemen, there's not even a Nettles or Concepcion crowding him.

Additionally, TJ is the only pitcher; he's got the game changing surgery in his name, and the highest win total of the modern era that's not Clemens. There's a lane for him.
                    Last edited by Cougar; 11-04-2019, 09:51 PM. Reason: Improved punctuation.

Comment

This ballot is a slight improvement over the 2018 one. I wouldn't cry over the election of any of these candidates, though I would not advocate for the election of several. My hope is that the committee elects a good number from the Modern Era this year.

FWIW, if I were the screening committee, this is the ballot I would have given the voters:

Sal Bando
                      Dwight Evans
                      Bobby Grich
                      Keith Hernandez
                      Marvin Miller
                      Thurman Munson
                      Ted Simmons
                      Reggie Smith
                      Luis Tiant
                      Lou Whitaker
                      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                        This ballot is a slight improvement over the 2018 one. I wouldn't cry over the election of any of these candidates, though I would not advocate for the election of several. My hope is that the committee elects a good number from the Modern Era this year.

FWIW, if I were the screening committee, this is the ballot I would have given the voters:

Sal Bando
                        Dwight Evans
                        Bobby Grich
                        Keith Hernandez
                        Marvin Miller
                        Thurman Munson
                        Ted Simmons
                        Reggie Smith
                        Luis Tiant
                        Lou Whitaker
                        That could very well be the ideal ballot, good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post

Sal Bando
                          Dwight Evans
                          Bobby Grich
                          Keith Hernandez
                          Marvin Miller
                          Thurman Munson
                          Ted Simmons
                          Reggie Smith
                          Luis Tiant
                          Lou Whitaker
                          Sal Bando over Graig Nettles, Buddy Bell, Ron Cey, & Darrell Evans is unexpected.

I'm not arguing, I'm just curious about your reasoning. My best guess is that you are leaning heavily on peak?

Comment

Cougar - yes, I place great emphasis on peak/prime value as it's more indicative (IMO) of ability than career value (i.e. longevity).

Here is how I view the leading candidates of the era, broken down as stronger or weaker candidates (as I see them):

Starting Pitchers
                            STRONG – Rick Reuschel, Dave Stieb, Luis Tiant
                            WEAK – Vida Blue, Ron Guidry, Tommy John, Jim Kaat, Mickey Lolich, Steve Rogers, Wilbur Wood

Relief Pitchers
                            STRONG – John Hiller, Dan Quisenberry
                            WEAK – Sparky Lyle, Tug McGraw, Kent Tekulve

Catchers
                            STRONG – Thurman Munson, Ted Simmons
                            WEAK – Darrell Porters, Jim Sundberg

First Basemen
                            STRONG – Keith Hernandez
                            WEAK – Cecil Cooper, Steve Garvey, Don Mattingly

Second Basemen
                            STRONG – Bobby Grich, Willie Randolph, Lou Whitaker
                            WEAK – Davey Lopes, Frank White

Third Basemen
                            STRONG – Sal Bando, Buddy Bell, Ron Cey, Darrell Evans, Graig Nettles
                            WEAK – Doug DeCinces, Toby Harrah, Bill Madlock

Shortstops
                            STRONG – Bert Campaneris
                            WEAK – Mark Belanger, Dave Concepcion, Bill Russell

Left Fielders
                            STRONG – Jose Cruz, Roy White
                            WEAK – Brian Downing, George Foster

Center Fielders
                            STRONG – Cesar Cedeno, Chet Lemon, Dale Murphy
                            WEAK – Fred Lynn, Al Oliver, Amos Otis, Willie Wilson

Right Fielders
                            STRONG – Bobby Bonds, Dwight Evans, Reggie Smith
                            WEAK – Jack Clark, Dave Parker, Ken Singleton, Rusty Staub
                            "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                            "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

Comment

If I were actually in charge of the ballot, its composition would be a combination of the most deserving players and the most electable players, giving priority to the latter group without ignoring the first (i.e. Tommy John may be electable, but he's not worthy). Still, I'd love to have the screening committee's authority on a permanent basis. Over time, the ballot helps shape the impressions of the electorate. Yet another reason it's so important to put only the best candidates out there for consideration.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X