2020 Modern Era Hall of Fame Ballot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
    And here the rest of us just want a good electoral result. Deserving players elected. Undeserving not elected.

What's wrong with you?
    Some men just want to watch the world burn.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Thanks, now I'll have an image of Heath Ledger in a Vikings jersey with face paint and one of those horned helmets every time I read a JR post.
      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

I support Dale Murphy, Dwight Evans, Dave Parker, Tommy John, and Marvin Miller in that order. I would also support Darrell Evans, Luis Tiant, and Graig Nettles if they were on the ballot. Actually Darrell Evans would have been my first choice of all the players.

Comment

And here the rest of us just want a good electoral result. Deserving players elected. Undeserving not elected.

What's wrong with you?
          As my many posts have indicated, IMO a Garvey election IS a good result. And obviously, if he gets in, I'm not alone.
          This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post

. It will be nowhere near the trepidation that you provide every-time somebody says Tennace or Evans is really good.
            Ha

and that WILL continue.

Actually Darrell Evans would have been my first choice of all the players
            Yikes blasphemy

but to each his own.
            This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

Originally posted by 1954 Phils View Post
              Too bad you can't detract HOF points for an outstanding player who has become a rotten manager. I'm thinking of Class of 2018 electee Alan Trammell. His managerial career was glaringly bad.
              The 43-119, .265 win%Tigers record under Trammell's leadership in 2003 has to be the Tigers all-time worst. In three years he went 186-300 and with a 1-2 mark in 3 games managed at the end of the 2014 season after Kirk Gibson was fired that makes his lifetime managerial record 187-302 for a .382 winning percentage. That is absolutely horrible!! That's why I wonder why you can't remove a HOF player from the Hall if they are a terrible manager...…………..……………………...And Ryne Sandberg was only slightly better than Trammell!
              How about bad owner? Jeter probably sails in and is universally hated as owner of the Marlins among its dozen or so remaining fans.

Comment

Thanks, now I'll have an image of Heath Ledger in a Vikings jersey with face paint and one of those horned helmets every time I read a JR post.
                Funny, I see Mel Gibson with his face painted blue and wearing a kilt.

Comment

Originally posted by JR Hart View Post

OOHHH.....The Garvey hatred is strong.

I predict;

An implosion of indignation.

A sour taste of taint

A collection of yellow bile

A gathering of wrath

An ensemble of exasperation

A mass of petulance

A convocation of vexation

Garvey's election will topple the hall and all of it's values. Sabermetrics will be set back 30 years. Sabermetrician hand-wringing will be fierce.

Recounts will be demanded, injunctions filed. There will be protests in the streets, globally. Governments may topple.

How dare the 10 time all star, post season hero, and iron man trod the Cooperstown turf.

He...just..didn't..walk .. enough!!

Credit where due...this made me laugh out loud.

Comment

Mostly, from age 29-33, Parker was a league-average hitter before shaking his habit. This period also coincided with one season lost to injury and another gutted by a work stoppage.

Parker put up a .290 BA with 339 HR and 1,493 RBI. He may not have batted .300 (or he may have), but he had a good shot at 400 HR and certainly 1,600 RBI, numbers which would have guaranteed election by a career-minded BBWAA during his 15-year stay on the ballot (1997-2011). These numbers would be comparable to Jim Rice (2009) and Andre Dawson (2010), both elected during the same era. The election of Tony Perez (2000) would also have been an attention affect on Parker's candidacy if he'd finished with 1,600+ RBI as "most RBI outside Cooperstown" was a prominent argument on Perez's behalf at the time.

As I said, it's a big "what if" and I'm not suggesting the BBWAA elects players with the best arguments necessarily, but I firmly believe that Parker would have been elected by the BBWAA had he not had a cocaine habit.
                    Frankly, Parker's numbers are pretty comparable to those guys anyway; he had a bit less HR power, but hit for better average (than Dawson at least), and never got the ballpark boost that Rice did from Fenway and Dawson did from Wrigley & Fenway. I for one would take Parker over Rice.

Comment

Simmons and that other guy for me.

Comment

Originally posted by JessePopHaines16 View Post
                        Simmons and that other guy for me.
                        Other guy?

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

Funny, I see Mel Gibson with his face painted blue and wearing a kilt.
                          Screaming "G-A-R-V-E-Y!" as he's disemboweled?
                          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

Comment

How about bad owner? Jeter probably sails in and is universally hated as owner of the Marlins among its dozen or so remaining fans.
                            This is like the old "if a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it" adage, right? If a team only has 12 counts....does it count? LOL

I'd be curious, however, if fans are angry at Jeter for the fact of the rebuild or for how it's been conducted? I didn't see an alternative, given the financial straits Loria left the team in.

I dearly wish the Jeb Bush group had won the bid, though. Nothing against Bruce Sherman, but Jeter is a joke.

Comment

This is like the old "if a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it" adage, right? If a team only has 12 counts....does it count? LOL

I'd be curious, however, if fans are angry at Jeter for the fact of the rebuild or for how it's been conducted? I didn't see an alternative, given the financial straits Loria left the team in.

I dearly wish the Jeb Bush group had won the bid, though. Nothing against Bruce Sherman, but Jeter is a joke.
                              I think it has to be the "how", right? His group had no money to work with and needed to shed anyone making money. Still, showing baseball lifers who had been with the organization since its inception the door the way he did won him no favor in Miami.

Comment

I think it has to be the "how", right? His group had no money to work with and needed to shed anyone making money. Still, showing baseball lifers who had been with the organization since its inception the door the way he did won him no favor in Miami.
                                I don't want to hijack the thread so this will be my final Jeter/Marlins post in here, but as a Reds fan, it's comforting to know there's at least one front office worse than ours.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X