Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8 Outstanding "Mic Men" Named as final candidates for the 2020 Ford C. Frick Award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 Outstanding "Mic Men" Named as final candidates for the 2020 Ford C. Frick Award

8 baseball broadcasters have been named as finalists for the 2020 Ford C.Frick Award.
    The winning broadcaster will be named on Wednesday, December 11 at Baseball's Winter Meetings.

DeWayne Statts (Tampa Bay Rays Television)
    Joe Castiglione (Boston Red Sox Radio)
    Tom Hamilton (Cleveland Indians Radio)
    Pat Hughes (Chicago Cubs Radio)
    Ken Harrelson (Chicago White Sox Television)
    Mike Shannon (St.Louis Cardinals Radio)
    Jacques Doucet (Montreal Expos - Radio; Toronto Blue Jays - Television - member of the Candian Baseball Hall Of Fame).
    the late, Ned Martin (Boston Red Sox Radio)

I hope Jacques Doucet receives his long-overdue recognition.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Is that Mike "The Moonman" Shannon?
      “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

Mike Shannon has the legacy but he sounds like he has marbles in his mouth.
        This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
          Mike Shannon has the legacy but he sounds like he has marbles in his mouth.
          Maybe they're moon rocks?
          “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

Apparently, I (and millions of other people), imagined that the TBS crew ever existed.
            3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"All of which makes perfect sense on paper, unless you have actually at any time in your life watched baseball being played." - The Commissioner

Comment

I always imagined Shannon as a sober Joe Nuxhall.
              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

Comment

Jacques Doucet is the best of the bunch.

I also think Susan Waldman deserves to win this award and is long overdue (and I am not a Yankees fan).

Comment

What about Greg Brown for the Pirates?

Comment

Rooting for the Hawk to shaken things up a bit!
                    Take me out to the ballgame. Take me out to the crowd. Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks. I don't care if I never get back. LET ME ROOT, ROOT, ROOT FOR THE CUBBIES. This Space For Rent

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Doucet has been nominated at least a few times before. I don't think they'll Susan Lucci him forever. (Or I hope not!)

Other names that jump out, more or less in order, are Harrelson, Shannon, Statts, & Castiglione.

I'm sure the other guys are/were great too; it's hard to know much about every team's local guys.

Suzyn Waldman would be the first female Frick winner; that would be nice. I think she's closer to a solid broadcaster than an extraordinary one, but she's had a long run now, and she deserves a lot of trailblazer credit. (As does the man who handpicked her, George Steinbrenner.)

Comment

Originally posted by Cougar View Post
                        I think she's closer to a solid broadcaster than an extraordinary one, but she's had a long run now.....
                        I think this sums up most candidates, quite succinctly, for both the Frick and Spink Awards.

I really don't know how they choose and I wish the Hall of Fame had nothing to do with the awards.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                          I think this sums up most candidates, quite succinctly, for both the Frick and Spink Awards.

I really don't know how they choose and I wish the Hall of Fame had nothing to do with the awards.
                          I'm pretty sure that the only reason there is a tie in is for years where no players are inducted so the town of Cooperstown, NY can justify having a ceremony.

Comment

I grew up listening to Tom Hamilton, so it’s nice to see him recognized. Don’t know much about the other guys so have no idea who is most deserving.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                              I'm pretty sure that the only reason there is a tie in is for years where no players are inducted so the town of Cooperstown, NY can justify having a ceremony.
                              Maybe. Fixing the HOF electoral process to insure that would be too obvious.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X