Playoff Hall of Fame project, group 51

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

I already presented my reason for ranking Plank ahead of Keefe and your antics are getting really old. If you can't figure out why people disagree with you, you know where the door is.
    Yea, they were all excuses for talking out your rear end and trying to back it up with a casual dismissal of the topic at hand simply because you don't care to learn about it. Pretty lame dude.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

Yea, they were all excuses for talking out your rear end and trying to back it up with a casual dismissal of the topic at hand simply because you don't care to learn about it. Pretty lame dude.
      Learn what, exactly? That you do not know how to disagree without being overly insulting and dismissive of anyone who disagrees with you?

I'm not sure what your problem is, but maybe you should take a break from the site and come back later when you are not so bitter. You have gone from being one one of the more interesting posters to someone who seems to be trying to get put on a vacation given how many insults you have been throwing around. I have no interest in "learning" anything from someone who throws insults around as casually as you have lately.
      Last edited by jjpm74; 11-11-2019, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Learn what, exactly? That you do not know how to disagree without being overly insulting and dismissive of anyone who disagrees with you?

I'm not sure what your problem is, but maybe you should take a break from the site and come back later when you are not so bitter. You have gone from being one one of the more interesting posters to someone who seems to be trying to get put on a vacation given how many insults you have been throwing around. I have no interest in "learning" anything from someone who throws insults around as casually as you have lately.
        Are you referring to when you and a few others decided Dickson > Schalk even though it has zero basis in fact and is totally indefensible. I simply pointed it out. Just as I pointed out that Tim Keefe has been diminished simply because you don't like a certain era of baseball history.
        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Are you referring to when you and a few others decided Dickson > Schalk even though it has zero basis in fact and is totally indefensible. I simply pointed it out. Just as I pointed out that Tim Keefe has been diminished simply because you don't like a certain era of baseball history.
          No, I am referring to right now where you for whatever reason can't understand why anyone would be so high on Plank. I think you've gone off the deep end and for whatever reason are going out of your way to get yourself banned from the site. That is unfortunate since there are not that many students of the 19th century game out there and I genuinely like your past posts and think you have a lot to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post

Please share on Wells, he's an under the radar candidate for me for HOF consideration, at least BIG HOF worthy.
            Wells has a similar candidacy to Buehrle, ~10% > average for ~3400 era adjusted IP, Buehrle in arguably tougher leagues, Wells with more relief leverage credit, post season and clutch credentials, both with perfect games.
            First, he came to the White extremely fat and out of shape. Then he didn't want to do the stretching, exercises, drills and gym time the rest of the team were expected to perform. He was putting out "I'm too good for this" attitude, and the rest of the team took offense.

Then when he pitched poorly, he accused his teammates of not doing enough to help him win, even though he was pitching maybe average, nothing special, overall.

The coup de grace was when he accused Frank Thomas of dogging it and faking an injury. Even though FT had issues with teammates over the years (notably Ozzie Guillen), no one ever accused him of not wanting to play. EVERYONE knew he loved to hit more than almost anything else in the world. He wanted to play and hit every single day. He had Ted Williams like focus for hitting.

But FT was notably down in the clubhouse and said he was hurting and was having a hard time. Huge slovenly David Wells told the media (not the team, the media) that FT was faking an injury and he should get with it and play. First FT was hurting because FT's dad had just died, which the hoggish Wells conveniently ignored or forgot. Then FT went for an MRI and it turns out that he had torn his triceps muscle and literally couldn't swing and put contact on the bat with it. FT was out for the rest of the year (2001) with this injury.

Then Wells had to defend himself and made it worse. I forget how he made it worse, but he did.

He was pretty much fully disliked by the team. It was Sammy Sosa bad loathing. The entire team was thrilled when he was off the club.
            60 games is better than none.
            July 23 can't come soon enough.
            Bring on the 2020 season.
            PLAY BALL!

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

First, he came to the White extremely fat and out of shape. Then he didn't want to do the stretching, exercises, drills and gym time the rest of the team were expected to perform. He was putting out "I'm too good for this" attitude, and the rest of the team took offense.

Then when he pitched poorly, he accused his teammates of not doing enough to help him win, even though he was pitching maybe average, nothing special, overall.

The coup de grace was when he accused Frank Thomas of dogging it and faking an injury. Even though FT had issues with teammates over the years (notably Ozzie Guillen), no one ever accused him of not wanting to play. EVERYONE knew he loved to hit more than almost anything else in the world. He wanted to play and hit every single day. He had Ted Williams like focus for hitting.

But FT was notably down in the clubhouse and said he was hurting and was having a hard time. Huge slovenly David Wells told the media (not the team, the media) that FT was faking an injury and he should get with it and play. First FT was hurting because FT's dad had just died, which the hoggish Wells conveniently ignored or forgot. Then FT went for an MRI and it turns out that he had torn his triceps muscle and literally couldn't swing and put contact on the bat with it. FT was out for the rest of the year (2001) with this injury.

Then Wells had to defend himself and made it worse. I forget how he made it worse, but he did.

He was pretty much fully disliked by the team. It was Sammy Sosa bad loathing. The entire team was thrilled when he was off the club.
              Not a good look, was Frank ever viewed as "soft," I feel like this was the case at least later in his career, right or wrong, and Wells is adding fuel to the fire.
              Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
              http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post

Not a good look, was Frank ever viewed as "soft," I feel like this was the case at least later in his career, right or wrong, and Wells is adding fuel to the fire.
                He was looked as a Prima Dona at times, but never soft. His commitment to playing and hitting (and working out) were always respected by others.
                PLAY BALL!

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Comment

You are taking things far too personally. And you are talking about the person making the post rather than the content of the post. That's crossing the clear line that separates personal attacks, which are not allowed, from comments which are. Please stop.

In case you handn't noticed, jjpm had Plank 1 spot ahead of Keefe, along with 8 other voters of the 11 that count. Seems your bald assertion of Keefe's superiority 1( wasn't very persuasive and 2) was not agreed with by the bulk of our voters.
                  Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                  Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                  A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

He was looked as a Prima Dona at times, but never soft. His commitment to playing and hitting (and working out) were always respected by others.
                    I do remember the Wells comments about Thomas now that you brought it up, but I thought Thomas was always a bit thin skinned when he played and tended to let things get to him that shouldn't have. Is that also fair to say about Thomas?

Comment

I do remember the Wells comments about Thomas now that you brought it up, but I thought Thomas was always a bit thin skinned when he played and tended to let things get to him that shouldn't have. Is that also fair to say about Thomas?
                      Absolutely FT was thin skinned...he didn't take perceived slights well. However (in my opinion) it didn't affect him on the field. His fielding was the same (C- with good scooping - except for a very weak, unsure and not so accurate arm) and it didn't affect his hitting; FT always had laser like focus while hitting. One of the things that made FT great when young is that he was able to begin his swing later than other players so that he could get a better look, and was still dangerous (sounding like Hawk now!) hitting the ball to right field.

Circa 2001/2002, his reflexes slowed down a tad and he couldn't either wait so long to get that look and still swing, and he also couldn't turn on the quality fastballs as much. He became much more of a pure slugger who let balls go by if he thought they were balls, accepted that he'd misjudge a few that he used to be able to hit and he'd have to take a strike, and he was more of a guess hitter going for contact. One thing most people don't know about Frank is that he really was a pure line drive hitter. Most of his Sox homers were just line drives that went out of the park due to his strength (instead of being doubles). He rarely had great launch angles. From what I've read, I think his approach was very similar to Lou Gehrig's.
                      Last edited by Toledo Inquisition; 11-12-2019, 04:41 PM.
                      PLAY BALL!

Comment

Cochrane, Keefe, Plank and Yaz move on to the winner's bracket, the rest go to the loser's bracket. The official results:\
                        Code:

76 Carl Yastrzemski
                        62 Eddie Plank
                        53 Tim Keefe
                        42 Mickey Cochrane
                        41 Larry Walker
                        23 Jimmy Collins
                        6 Ellis Burks
                        5 David Wells
                        Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                        Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                        A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X