Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking Ahead to the 2022 Today's Game Ballot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking Ahead to the 2022 Today's Game Ballot

    I'm curious what nominees everyone thinks will make up the 2022 Today's Game Ballot and who will be elected? I'm not sure if it changes but in 2019 there was a 16 member committee that voted. Nominees needed 12 votes out of a possible 16 for 75%. Committee members could vote for 0-4 of the nominees. The voting members included Hall of Famers Roberto Alomar, Bert Blyleven, Pat Gillick, Tony La Russa, Greg Maddux, Joe Morgan, John Schuerholz, Ozzie Smith and Joe Torre, non-Hall of Fame executives Al Avila, Paul Beeston, Andy MacPhail and Jerry Reinsdorf; and writers/historians Steve Hirdt, Tim Kurkjian and Claire Smith. This doesn't mean these will be the same voters in 2022 but probably some of them will return again.

    In 2019 the Today's Game Ballot consisted of the following nominees:

    1. Lee Smith: elected with 16/16 votes
    2. Harold Baines: just made 75% with 12/16 votes
    3. Lou Piniella: sadly just missed with 11/16 (76 years old)
    4. The remaining nominees: Davey Johnson, Will Clark, Orel Hershiser, Albert Belle, Charlie Manuel, George Steinbrenner, and Joe Carter all received less than 5 votes.

    Notable eligibles not including those above: Fred McGriff, Larry Walker (looks like he won't make the BBWAA election this year), David Cone, Jim Leyland, Dusty Baker, Bret Saberhagen, Mark McGwire, Sandy Alderson, Kevin Brown, Rafael Palmeiro, Robin Ventura, John Olerud, Bernie Williams, John Franco, Chuck Finley, Matt Williams, Tony Phillips, Bruce Bochy.

    Please let me know of any glaring omissions but also participate in the post lol.

  • #2
    I'm guessing it will look like the following:

    1. Larry Walker elected 100%
    2. Fred McGriff elected 100%
    3. Bruce Bochy elected 75-100%
    4. Lou Piniella just misses by one or two votes.
    5. Albert Belle, Will Clark, Orel Hershiser, George Steinbrenner, Charlie Manuel, Davey Johnson all way under 75%.

    Comment


    • #3
      McGriff and Walker would make for a nice twosome. I'm hoping Larry ekes it out in this year's voting and leaves the field a bit more open.
      3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

      "To this day, and forever, no one will ever be able to make sense of the game’s record book, now smeared with phony honors. It’s unfixable." - Thomas Boswell

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
        McGriff and Walker would make for a nice twosome. I'm hoping Larry ekes it out in this year's voting and leaves the field a bit more open.
        I agree I would take that. I think if Walker gets in somehow this year, there's a good chance we get McGriff, Piniella, and Bochy. Which would be cool too. I've always felt there's not enough managers.

        Comment


        • #5
          I just don't want Walker crowding Fred out.
          3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

          "To this day, and forever, no one will ever be able to make sense of the game’s record book, now smeared with phony honors. It’s unfixable." - Thomas Boswell

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
            I just don't want Walker crowding Fred out.
            I think they're both 100% guys on a Veterans Committee. Payers in the media are always pushing for both of them in the Hall and I think guys like Gillick and Schuerholz coveted players like them and would appreciate their value. Also someone like Tim Kurkjan will vote for both.

            Comment


            • #7
              I doubt Steinbrenner makes it onto the ballot again.

              Is Whitaker eligible for this one?

              The only guys who could conceivably be on that ballot that have a shot are Bochy, Walker and McGriff.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Stieb37 View Post

                I think they're both 100% guys on a Veterans Committee. Payers in the media are always pushing for both of them in the Hall and I think guys like Gillick and Schuerholz coveted players like them and would appreciate their value. Also someone like Tim Kurkjan will vote for both.
                Didn't Walker reject a trade to the Rangers when Schuerholz was there and ended up in St. Louis instead? Obviously McGriff has strong connections to both.
                "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                  I doubt Steinbrenner makes it onto the ballot again.

                  Is Whitaker eligible for this one?

                  The only guys who could conceivably be on that ballot that have a shot are Bochy, Walker and McGriff.
                  Piniella missed by 1 vote last time.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

                    Didn't Walker reject a trade to the Rangers when Schuerholz was there and ended up in St. Louis instead? Obviously McGriff has strong connections to both.
                    Schuerholz was with the Braves then. And yeah McGriff will have no problem.

                    Comment

                    Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X