Playoff Hall of Fame project, group 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Kaline
    2. Anson- a towering 19th c. figure- I still can't resolve how to slot the early days guys in
    3. Rolen- HOF- worthy
    4. JSewell- fairly short but excellent career- I don't see him as a big HOF mistake
    5. Lolich- by a gnat's eyelash over
    6. McDowell- possibly ruined a HOF career through alcoholism- I know several people who knew him
    ​​​​​​​7. Bottomley- very good player, fairly short career- stats inflated somewhat by his era
    8. JCarter- did what he was asked to do very well

​​​​​​​5-6-7 interchangeable.

Comment

1. Cap Anson - by a fair amount
      2. Al Kaline
      3. Scott Rolen
      4. Joe Sewell

---HOF---
      ---Big HOF---

5. Jim Bottomley
      6. Mickey Lolich
      7. Joe Carter - possibly could go to sixth if I think his defense is better than analytics show, but I'm not convinced.
      8. Sam McDowell

Hey, look! Player X was really good for about five years in the '80s! WHY ISN'T HE IN THE HALL OF FAME???

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
        1. Kaline
        2. Anson- a towering 19th c. figure- I still can't resolve how to slot the early days guys in
        3. Rolen- HOF- worthy
        4. JSewell- fairly short but excellent career- I don't see him as a big HOF mistake
        5. Lolich- by a gnat's eyelash over
        6. McDowell- possibly ruined a HOF career through alcoholism- I know several people who knew him
        ​​​​​​​7. Bottomley- very good player, fairly short career- stats inflated somewhat by his era
        8. JCarter- did what he was asked to do very well

​​​​​​​5-6-7 interchangeable.
        Do that many people think this? That would surprise me...I never thought he was an "edge" case.
        Hey, look! Player X was really good for about five years in the '80s! WHY ISN'T HE IN THE HALL OF FAME???

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

Do that many people think this? That would surprise me...I never thought he was an "edge" case.
          Sewell is a very borderline case. If this were in a stronger group in this project, he would fall below the #4 slot for me..

Among retired and currently eligible short stops, I have him in the gray gray area and ranked behind these shortstops: Luke Appling, Dave Bancroft, Ernie Banks, Lou Boudreau, Perucho Cepeda, Joe Cronin, Bill Dahlen, George Davis, Art Fletcher, Jack Glasscock, Derek Jeter, Barry Larkin, John Henry Lloyd, Dick Lundy, Dobie Moore, Pee Wee Reese, Cal Ripken, Ozzie Smith, Alan Trammell, Joe Tinker, Arky Vaughan, Honus Wagner, Bobby Wallace, Willie Wells, George Wright, Robin Yount

I haven't reconfigured my pHOF yet, but only see Bancroft, G. Wright and possibly one or two of the NeL SS as having a case for being ranked below him. Where does he factor into your top 25-30 short stops?

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

Sewell is a very borderline case. If this were in a stronger group in this project, he would fall below the #4 slot for me..

Among retired and currently eligible short stops, I have him in the gray gray area and ranked behind these shortstops: Luke Appling, Dave Bancroft, Ernie Banks, Lou Boudreau, Perucho Cepeda, Joe Cronin, Bill Dahlen, George Davis, Art Fletcher, Jack Glasscock, Derek Jeter, Barry Larkin, John Henry Lloyd, Dick Lundy, Dobie Moore, Pee Wee Reese, Cal Ripken, Ozzie Smith, Alan Trammell, Joe Tinker, Arky Vaughan, Honus Wagner, Bobby Wallace, Willie Wells, George Wright, Robin Yount

I haven't reconfigured my pHOF yet, but only see Bancroft, G. Wright and possibly one or two of the NeL SS as having a case for being ranked below him. Where does he factor into your top 25-30 short stops?
            That's pretty much where I have Sewell ranked myself. I have 25+ shortstops ranked above him, with at least 20 ranked solidly above. In my pHOF, Joe Sewell is my last SS making the cut, with Campaneris next as my highest ranked on the outside looking in. I also have Wright and Bancroft ranked below Joe Sewell.

Comment

I have Sewell as my #1 SS on the outside-looking-in. I have no issues with him being in or out, honestly.
              1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
              The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

I'm a bigger backer of Sewell...I've got him rated at or above the guys in red, with the NeL guys up to debate depending on your perspective. Heck, I can even argue he's better than Trammel and the high/low guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

I'm a bigger backer of Sewell...I've got him rated at or above the guys in red, with the NeL guys up to debate depending on your perspective. Heck, I can even argue he's better than Trammel and the high/low guys.
                  You're not that far off. It looks like you have him around 15. I have him somewhere in the 20s along with a few others. I doubt anyone has him in their top 10.

Comment

I agree with this message and BA, Sewell is ok as a HOF, but I have him below this group and one of the first shortstops/third baseman just shy of HOF status. I would add Bert Campaneris to this list.
                    Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
                    http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post

I agree with this message and BA, Sewell is ok as a HOF, but I have him below this group and one of the first shortstops/third baseman just shy of HOF status. I would add Bert Campaneris to this list.
                      Campy is one of the reasons I am reconfiguring. New stats on defense combined with narrative suggests he should be in the high 20s all time.

Comment

Moving on to the winner's bracket are: Anson, Kaline, Rolen and J. Sewell. The rest go to the loser's bracket. The official results:
                        Code:

86 Cap Anson
                        83 Al Kaline
                        64 Scott Rolen
                        50 Joe Sewell
                        34 Mickey Lolich
                        23 Jim Bottomley
                        17 Sam McDowell
                        7 Joe Carter
                        Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                        Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                        A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X