Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Run HoF Project: Year 2

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Home Run HoF Project: Year 2


    Home Run Hall of Fame

    Rules:
    • This is a hall of fame for home run hitters only.
    • We're going to induct position players yearly at the same rate as the actual HoF including the Negro Leagues. All halves will be rounded up.
    • In 1950, '60, '70, etc. we will elect one eligible pitcher, just for fun.
    • I'll close and open elections on Sunday mornings.
    • Players become eligible after being retired for five seasons including Gehrig, Clemente and alike.
    • You are not limited to the 25 career leaders I list. You may take anything or nothing into account - position, context, peak, longevity, clutch homers, but you need to keep it home run-centric. We are not taking slugging or doubles and triples or anything like that into consideration.
    • Players receive points inverted and doubled so...
    Example:
    1. Ruth - 8 points
    2. Gehrig - 6 points
    3. DiMaggio - 4 points
    4. Mantle - 2 points
    1937 Election - Ballots of 4
    (players retired after 1931 season or earlier)

    eligible career home run leaders:

    Cy Williams - 251 (lead league 4x)
    Ken Williams - 196 (1x)
    Roger Connor - 138 (0x)
    Jack Fournier - 136 (1x)
    Zack Wheat - 132 (0x)
    Big Sam Thompson - 127 (2x)
    Jimmy Ryan - 118 (1x)
    Tilly Walker - 118 (1x)
    Ty Cobb - 117 (1x)
    Tris Speaker - 117 (1x)
    Dan Brouthers - 106 (2x)
    Hugh Duffy - 106 (2x)
    Mike Tiernan - 106 (2x)
    George Sisler - 102 (0x)
    Honus Wagner - 101 (0x)
    Ed Delahanty - 101 (2x)
    Cap Anson - 97 (0x)
    Sam Crawford - 97 (2x)
    Fred Pfeffer - 94 (0x)
    Wildfire Schulte - 92 (2x)
    Herman Long - 91 (1x)
    George Harper - 91 (0x)
    Wally Pipp - 90 (2x)
    Jake Beckley - 86 (0x)
    Bill Dahlen - 84 (0x)
    Fred Luderus - 84 (0x)

    career home run leaders:

    Lip Pike: 1872-79
    Charley Jones: 1880-81, '83-84
    Jim O'Rourke: 1882
    Harry Stovey: 1885-86, '89-94
    Dan Brouthers: 1887-88
    Roger Connor: 1895-1920
    Babe Ruth: 1921-present (active)
    Last edited by bluesky5; 01-12-2020, 11:45 PM.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

  • #2
    Code:
    1936                Team                     Pos.      career HR                       other   
    Harry Stovey        Philadelphia Athletics  1B/OF         122             held career record for 8 seasons
    Gavvy Cravath       Philadelphia Phillies     RF          119                     led the N.L. 6x
    Home Run Baker      Philadelphia Athletics    3B           96      2 GW-HR in 1911 World Series, 4x consec. A.L. leader
    Last edited by bluesky5; 01-12-2020, 11:46 PM.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

    Comment


    • #3
      My ballot:

      1. Lip Pike
      2. Cy Williams
      3. Roger Connor
      4. Charley Jones
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

      Comment


      • #4
        1. Cy Williams
        2. Harry Davis
        3. Buck Freeman
        4. Roger Connor

        Comment


        • #5
          1. Lip Pike
          2. Cy Williams
          3. Jesse Burkett
          4. Harry Davis
          Last edited by jjpm74; 01-14-2020, 02:27 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

            eligible career home run leaders:

            Cy Williams - 251 (lead league 4x)
            Ken Williams - 196 (1x)
            Roger Connor - 138 (0x)
            Jack Fournier - 136 (1x)
            Zack Wheat - 132 (0x)
            Big Sam Thompson - 127 (2x)
            Jimmy Ryan - 118 (1x)
            Tilly Walker - 118 (1x)
            Ty Cobb - 117 (1x)
            Tris Speaker - 117 (1x)
            Dan Brouthers - 106 (2x)
            Hugh Duffy - 106 (2x)
            Mike Tiernan - 106 (2x)
            George Sisler - 102 (0x)
            Honus Wagner - 101 (0x)
            Ed Delahanty - 101 (2x)
            Cap Anson - 97 (0x)
            Sam Crawford - 97 (2x)
            Fred Pfeffer - 94 (0x)
            Wildfire Schulte - 92 (2x)
            Herman Long - 91 (1x)
            George Harper - 91 (0x)
            Wally Pipp - 90 (2x)
            Jake Beckley - 86 (0x)
            Bill Dahlen - 84 (0x)
            Fred Luderus - 84 (0x)

            If I'm not mistaken, when we did our first vote for 1936, it seemed like the HR numbers/totals we working with were based on the 1936 season being over, which mean our vote would have happened after the season was over. Doesn't this mean that for this 1937 (I'm assuming post-season) vote, Bob Meusel, Harry Heilmann, George Kelly, etc. would be eligible and listed here?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dgarza View Post
              If I'm not mistaken, when we did our first vote for 1936, it seemed like the HR numbers/totals we working with were based on the 1936 season being over, which mean our vote would have happened after the season was over. Doesn't this mean that for this 1937 (I'm assuming post-season) vote, Bob Meusel, Harry Heilmann, George Kelly, etc. would be eligible and listed here?
              Eligible players played their final season in 1931 or earlier.

              Fangraphs
              "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

                Eligible players played their final season in 1931 or earlier.

                Fangraphs
                So is the voting considered before the 1937 season is completed?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dgarza View Post

                  So is the voting considered before the 1937 season is completed?
                  That's how I was figuring it, yes, with inductions on or around the 4th of July. The player didn't play '32-3-4-5-6 (5 years) and voting is in the offseason.
                  "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

                    That's how I was figuring it, yes, with inductions on or around the 4th of July. The player didn't play '32-3-4-5-6 (5 years) and voting is in the offseason.

                    Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

                    Eligible players played their final season in 1931 or earlier.

                    Fangraphs

                    OK. That's where I was confused, because you're running your search THROUGH the 1932 season, which means you're considering 1932 numbers after that season is over (and the vote would be post-season). By that measure, players would be eligible whose final season was 1932. But I think your intention should be the run your search through 1931, correct?

                    Either way, Bob Meusel would have been eligible this vote and the one prior.
                    Last edited by dgarza; 01-13-2020, 09:13 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dgarza View Post





                      OK. That's where I was confused, because you're running your search THROUGH the 1932 season, which means you're considering 1932 numbers after that season is over (and the vote would be post-season). By that measure, players would be eligible whose final season was 1932. But I think your intention should be the run your search through 1931, correct?
                      I ran it through '31. I guess when I went back to the site to get the link to answer you it went through '32.
                      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        1. Cy Williams
                        2. Lip Pike
                        3. Ken Williams
                        4. Harry Davis

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          C Williams
                          K Williams
                          Conner
                          Brouthers
                          This week's Giant

                          #5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Cy Williams
                            Sam Thompson
                            Ken Williams
                            Lip Pike

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Cy Williams
                              Harry Davis
                              Roger Connor
                              Lip Pike

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X