19th Century Gems Not Elected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19th Century Gems Not Elected

I love 19th century baseball, and am always up for a topic on it.

Do you guys think there are any clear HoFers not-elected who primarily played in the 19th-Century?
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Jim McCormick springs to mind.
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

If we want to go all in on the 19th century, Doc Adams is by far the most egregious omission. Next in line are Ross Barnes and Jim Creighton.

Comment

I need Ross Barnes in the Hall. And even though there are pitcher-types who are probably more deserving (McCormick, Mullane, Caruthers), I really, really want to see Pete Browning elected before them. It's just a personal preference and sentimental favorite. When I first got into these 19th century players all those years ago, I was surprised Browning was not in the Hall. Admittedly, I knew less about the era and the other players at the time, but it did strike me that he wasn't in. Out of all these players mention, only Barnes has ever received HOF votes.

Comment

Jack Glasscock
          Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
          http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

"Clear" is open to interpretation, but those with strong cases include Ross Barnes, Bill Dahlen and Jack Glasscock.

One could argue that Paul Hines, Jim McCormick and others also have strong cases, but I don't think that's as easy a case to make (as the above three) without using some sort of ubermetric.
            "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
            "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
            "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
            "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
              "Clear" is open to interpretation, but those with strong cases include Ross Barnes, Bill Dahlen and Jack Glasscock.

One could argue that Paul Hines, Jim McCormick and others also have strong cases, but I don't think that's as easy a case to make (as the above three) without using some sort of ubermetric.
              Good call on Dahlen, not sure how I overlooked him on my list.

Players like Paul Hines and George Van Haltren (let's throw Jimmy Ryan in there, too, what the hell) I think do belong in the Hall, but they're not the most egregious omissions. They require more study and an understanding of context. Van Haltren, for example, retired 5th in total hits (2544).

Comment

Lip Pike and Joe Start too.
                "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

My list of guys from the 19th century I'd induct (In no particular order):

Charlie Bennett
                  Joe Start
                  Ross Barnes\
                  Cupid Childs
                  Hardy Richardson
                  Joe Glasscock
                  Bill Dahlen
                  Harry Stovey
                  Paul Hines
                  Bob Caruthers
                  Jim McCormick
                  Tony Mullane
                  Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                  Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                  A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright View Post

Charlie Bennett
                    Joe Start
                    Ross Barnes
                    Cupid Childs
                    Hardy Richardson
                    Joe Glasscock
                    Bill Dahlen
                    Harry Stovey
                    Paul Hines
                    Bob Caruthers
                    Jim McCormick
                    Tony Mullane
                    If I could elect one dozen, those would be the names.
                    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

My top 5...Dahlen, Stovey, McCormick, Ryan, Van Haltren

Comment

There has never been a player who primarily played in the American Association elected tot he hall of fame. Closest thing would be Comiskey but he's in as an owner/executive of course.
                        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Van Haltren is a bit of a puzzle to me. Good, but HoF?

Comment

Pete Browning and Harry Stovey were two of the first three selected in SABRs most overlooked 19th century player election. Both played in the AA and aren't getting much support either from the HOF or here.
                            Ross Barnes is tops on my list.

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright View Post

Charlie Bennett
                              Joe Start
                              Ross Barnes\
                              Cupid Childs
                              Hardy Richardson
                              Joe Glasscock
                              Bill Dahlen
                              Harry Stovey
                              Paul Hines
                              Bob Caruthers
                              Jim McCormick
                              Tony Mullane
                              Excellent list ja, my two adds besides these for serious consideration are Charley Buffinton and Ned Williamson.
                              Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
                              http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X