Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playoff Hall of Fame Project 7th group in winner and loser's brackets in 2d round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remainder of ballot updated
    Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
    http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post
      Remainder of ballot updated
      Noted and recorded, my good man.
      Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
      Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
      A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Winners:
        1. Aaron
        2. Ortiz
        3. Brett
        4. Raines
        5. Gordon
        6. J. Robinson
        7. Ward
        8. Lyons

Losers:
        1. Reynolds
        2. Lazzeri
        3. Welch
        4. Strawberry
        5. V. Stephens
        6. Giles
        7. Flood
        8. Candelaria

Comment

Winners:

1. Aaron
          2. JRobinson- with some war, segregation credit
          3. Brett
          4. Gordon, just ahead of
          5. Raines
          6. Lyons
          7. Ortiz
          8. Ward

Losers:

1. Lazzeri
          2. Stephens
          3. Giles
          4. Flood
          5. Strawberry
          6. Candelaria
          7. Reynolds
          8. Welch

Extremely tough to rate the losers bracket- all really good players, extremely close.
          Last edited by BigRon; 03-31-2020, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
            3. Giles
            5. Strawberry

Extremely tough to rate the losers bracket- all really good players, extremely close.
            Yes they are all close. I'm surprised to see Giles > Strawberry on close to half the lists. The 80's is more in the wheelhouse of our posters than the early 2000's and I think Strawberry surely peaked higher and had more talent. He was a free agent bust but still a solid role player after his decline. Giles was an excellent ball player and one of my favorites growing up in Pennsylvania. Giles and Kendall were the lone bright spots on those clubs. The announcers would spend most of the time talking about the potential on the Pirates and Phillies roster because both teams were awful '96-02. Anyhow I didn't witness Strawberry's peak but I thought it would be consensus Strawberry > Giles.

"No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Winners
              1. Hank Aaron
              2. Jackie Robinson
              3. George Brett
              4. Joe Gordon
              5. Tim Raines
              6. Ted Lyons
              7. Monte Ward
              8. David Ortiz

Losers
              1. Tony Lazzeri
              2. Brian Giles
              3. Vern Stephens
              4. Curt Flood
              5. Darryl Strawberry
              6. John Candelaria
              7. Bob Welch
              8. Allie Reynolds
              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

I am surprised to see Ortiz toward the top on some ballots. His role in Red Sox Nation makes him a borderline HOFer. Carlos Delgado is very similar to him and only managed 3.8% his one time on the ballot.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                  I am surprised to see Ortiz toward the top on some ballots. His role in Red Sox Nation makes him a borderline HOFer. Carlos Delgado is very similar to him and only managed 3.8% his one time on the ballot.
                  I'm equally surprised to see Ward so low, especially see him listed #8. Really? Below Lyons? Below Ortiz?
                  Not to make this all about WAR, but still... Ward is 12th in 19th century WAR with 62.4, behind 8 pitchers and just 3 position players.
                  Last edited by dgarza; 04-03-2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dgarza View Post

I'm equally surprised to see Ward so low, especially see him listed #8. Really? Below Lyons? Below Ortiz?
                    Not to make this all about WAR, but still... Ward is 12th in 19th century WAR with 62.4, behind 8 pitchers and just 3 position players.
                    For me at least, I've never really looked at Ward just as a player which is what makes his ranking so hard. He was a great pitcher, good fielding player, and one of the 3 top pioneers of his era. In terms of influence on the game and looking at his whole package, I have him ranked as follows:

1. Al Spalding
                    2. Doc Adams
                    3. J.M. Ward
                    4. Harry Wright
                    5. Jim Creighton

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

Yes they are all close. I'm surprised to see Giles > Strawberry on close to half the lists. The 80's is more in the wheelhouse of our posters than the early 2000's and I think Strawberry surely peaked higher and had more talent. He was a free agent bust but still a solid role player after his decline. Giles was an excellent ball player and one of my favorites growing up in Pennsylvania. Giles and Kendall were the lone bright spots on those clubs. The announcers would spend most of the time talking about the potential on the Pirates and Phillies roster because both teams were awful '96-02. Anyhow I didn't witness Strawberry's peak but I thought it would be consensus Strawberry > Giles.
                      I agree that Strawberry may have been more talented than Giles, but Giles was a really good all around player. He was one of the NL's top hitters for about 5 years in a row. His best seasons were at least as good as Strawberry's, and he may have had one or two more. He was a good outfielder- I think WAR mistreats him there. Even after he left Pittsburgh he had some good seasons- his totals were depressed by playing in San Diego. I don't give Giles any extra credit for it, but he probably lost a couple of quality seasons at the front end of his career, being unable to crack the powerhouse lineup of the mid-90s Indians.

Comment

1. Hank Aaron
                        2. George Brett
                        3. Jackie Robinson
                        4. Tim Raines
                        5. Monte Ward
                        6. Ted Lyons
                        7. Joe Gordon

---HOF---
                        ---Big HOF---

8. David Ortiz

Losers

---HOF---

1. Tony Lazzeri

---Big HOF---

2. Brian Giles - a very hard rating for me as I think he's a pretty bad guy
                        3. Vern Stephens
                        4. Allie Reynolds
                        5. Darryl Strawberry
                        6. Bob Welch
                        7. John Candelaria
                        8. Curt Flood
                        60 games is better than none.
                        July 23 can't come soon enough.
                        Bring on the 2020 season.
                        PLAY BALL!

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

In the winner's bracket, the guys moving on to 2-0 are Aaron, Brett, Raines, and J Robinson while Gordon, Lyons, Ortiz and J M Ward move into the 1-1 bracket. The official results:
                          Code:

84 Hank Aaron
                          65 George Brett
                          63 Jackie Robinson
                          37 Tim Raines
                          32 Joe Gordon
                          23 Ted Lyons
                          18 John M Ward
                          14 David Ortiz
                          In the loser's bracket, the guys moving to the 1-1 bracket are Giles, Lazzeri, Stephens and Strawberry while the rest fall to the 0-2 bracket. The official results:
                          Code:

76 Tony Lazzeri
                          63 Vern Stephens
                          55 Brian Giles
                          52 Darryl Strawberry
                          29 Curt Flood
                          26 Allie Reynolds
                          20 Bob Welch
                          15 John Candelaria
                          Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                          Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                          A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X