Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Era 1: Which of these 11 CF's deserve enshrinement within the context of their peers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O'Rourke, Duffy, Hamilton.

Comment

How many of you would put Trout in the HOF if his career ended today?

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd Gondolli View Post
        I would. ...altho I wouldn't feel comfortable comparing him to 19th Century players.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

I would. ...altho I wouldn't feel comfortable comparing him to 19th Century players.
          I know. Me too.

Just a sidebar. Maybe it's worth an entire thread.

Comment

I know. Me too.

Just a sidebar. Maybe it's worth an entire thread.
            I have a hunch henrich is heading in that direction.
            Put it in the books.

Comment

Yes, if Trout never played another game, I'd still consider him a HOFer.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

I have a hunch henrich is heading in that direction.
                he'll be in the last group of centerfielders. He's pretty close for me. Right now he has a Roy Halladay hitter's case is the way I would compare it. Meaning he would get in due to dominance and peak. His counting stats aren't quite there yet, but if there is a season this year, he'd probably make it over the line.

Comment

Originally posted by henrich View Post

he'll be in the last group of centerfielders. He's pretty close for me. Right now he has a Roy Halladay hitter's case is the way I would compare it. Meaning he would get in due to dominance and peak. His counting stats aren't quite there yet, but if there is a season this year, he'd probably make it over the line.
                  My thinking at this point is that counting stats are overrated. Someone sticking around near average to rack up totals after age 35ish doesn't affect the game as much as someone totally dominant for a span in their youth.

I think counting stats are only important if they player sustains greatness in his old age, which is quite rare but certainly not unheard of.

Peak vs. career. Classic debate.

Would you rather watch Joe Jackson (or have him, starting a team) for 10 seasons, or Harold Baines for 20?

Comment

My thinking at this point is that counting stats are overrated. Someone sticking around near average to rack up totals after age 35ish doesn't affect the game as much as someone totally dominant for a span in their youth.

I think counting stats are only important if they player sustains greatness in his old age, which is quite rare but certainly not unheard of.

Peak vs. career. Classic debate.

Would you rather watch Joe Jackson (or have him, starting a team) for 10 seasons, or Harold Baines for 20?
                    It's funny how there seem to be a trend lately on these boards that overrelies on counting stats (usually with no context) as more than just a baseline or parameter, but as a whole foundation and basis for worth or value, or greatness even. Yet somehow the same people were incredulous when Harold Baines made the HOF. The reliance so strongly on counting stats lead to that election in a significant way.

Peak vs. career IS an age old debate, but I've noticed a heavier than normal lean towards career in the last year or two.

Comment

I took Hamilton, Hines and O'Rourke. FWIW, I would also take Lip Pike heartily.

Gore and Duffy would be the next-best. I have a hard time thinking that there are a half-dozen or more CF from the 1800s who belong in Cooperstown, particularly relative to the dearth at other positions, but ask me on a different day and you'll find me checking the boxes for these two.

I have sometimes voted for Browning, Ryan and Van Haltren in the past.
                      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

I voted for the no-brainers in O'Rourke, Hines and Hamilton. Duffy had a great peak and an historic record setting season. Browning was a career A.A. player and the namesake of the Louisville Slugger. Gore just missed; he's close to Browning. Dummy Hoy had a late start and a notable impairment but was still an excellent player and of high character. I threw him a bone. Van Haltren and Ryan were as toolsy as any player in their era's. Just weren't HoF caliber at their best in my opinion. Griffin and Brown were good players.
                        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

O'Rourke, Hines, Hamilton, Gore, Hoy, Browning, and Griffin.

Surprised to see Hines this low. I have him in my Top 10 all-time snubs, ahead of everyone's favorite Modern and Today's Game candidates. The season lengths obscure his case, but I think the leaderboards reflect him better--2x batting champion, 1x Triple Crown winner, 8x top 10 in WAR for position players. He was a force with the bat, at least, and not a bad glove, particularly in the 1st half of his career.
                          RIP Dave Niehaus
                          RIP Gary Moore

Comment

Trout finished at number 35 in our latest position player poll; I would think that almost everyone on this site considers him a HOFer already, most see him as an inner circle guy.

Comment

I'd put him in yesterday.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X