Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is This the Worst Player to Ever Receive a Hall of Fame Vote?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
    No votes for Rose were ever permitted. Try a player who received a legal vote.
    Actually he did receive votes according to baseball-reference.
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

    "I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by 1905 Giants View Post

      Actually he did receive votes according to baseball-reference.
      That was addressed in the other thread. See here:

      https://www.baseball-fever.com/forum...51#post3576851

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by pedrosrotatorcuff View Post
        Another reddit crosspost here. I'd never heard of this guy until now.



        So is the OP right? Is Sibby Sisti the worst player to ever receive at least one Hall of Fame vote? reddit thread here.
        How about Sonny Jackson?

        3390 PA, 0.251/0.308/0.303. 7 career homers, 767 hits. TZ rates his defense at -55 runs, DRA at -64 runs. His positives include 126 SB, 51 caught stealing. -10.0 WAA, 1.6 WAR His numbers got worse with runners in scoring position

        Oh, I forgot to mention he was an everyday player for three whole MLB seasons He led the league in positional errors two seasons, and still managed to be fourth in a season where he only had 380 PA.

        This guy was BRUTAL to begin with, had a shorter part time career, and still received a vote. I hope he at least gave the voter a 6-pack or a $5 bill for that indecent vote.
        60 games is better than none.
        July 23 can't come soon enough.
        Bring on the 2020 season.
        PLAY BALL!

        Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

        Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

        Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

          How about Sonny Jackson?

          3390 PA, 0.251/0.308/0.303. 7 career homers, 767 hits. TZ rates his defense at -55 runs, DRA at -64 runs. His positives include 126 SB, 51 caught stealing. -10.0 WAA, 1.6 WAR His numbers got worse with runners in scoring position

          Oh, I forgot to mention he was an everyday player for three whole MLB seasons He led the league in positional errors two seasons, and still managed to be fourth in a season where he only had 380 PA.

          This guy was BRUTAL to begin with, had a shorter part time career, and still received a vote. I hope he at least gave the voter a 6-pack or a $5 bill for that indecent vote.
          He did tie the rookie record for SBs in his third MLB season (yes, you are reading that correctly; he was still considered a rookie in his 3rd MLB season) with 49, though.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

            He did tie the rookie record for SBs in his third MLB season (yes, you are reading that correctly; he was still considered a rookie in his 3rd MLB season) with 49, though.
            Has Dummy Hoy been forgotten by MLB then? I know he stole 82 as a rookie.

            Please tell me you weren't the voter back in 1980 !!!! If so, hopefully he sprung for a nice dinner at least!
            60 games is better than none.
            July 23 can't come soon enough.
            Bring on the 2020 season.
            PLAY BALL!

            Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

            Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

            Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

              Has Dummy Hoy been forgotten by MLB then? I know he stole 82 as a rookie.

              Please tell me you weren't the voter back in 1980 !!!! If so, hopefully he sprung for a nice dinner at least!
              I thought Hoy's record was clouded because of the different definition of how a SB was recorded (kind of like why Billy Hamilton was not recognized as the all time SB leader even before Brock?

              Of course I voted for him. How could I not? The guy bought me a house in Maui!
              Last edited by jjpm74; 06-24-2020, 01:03 PM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

                I thought Hoy's record was clouded because of the different definition of how a SB was recorded (kind of like why Billy Hamilton was not recognized as the all time SB leader even before Brock?

                Of course I voted for him. How could I not? The guy bought me a house in Maui!
                I am glad you held out for the big stuff!

                Yes, the stolen base numbers in the 1880's and 1890's were constantly evolving. We don't know how many times Dummy Hoy advanced extra bases or had pure steals.

                Even if we give Jackson credit for all the 35 extra bases taken on hits in his rookie year, that would be 84....with the level of doubt with record keeping in the 1890's, it would be close. Heck, even in 1967 weird things statistically happen. Jackson on second base advanced on a base hit advanced one base 6 times, two bases 17 times and once, no one knows. Was he hit by the ball? Went back to second? You have to dig deep, and you have to dig way deep in the 1890's.
                60 games is better than none.
                July 23 can't come soon enough.
                Bring on the 2020 season.
                PLAY BALL!

                Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

                Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

                Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

                Comment


                • #23
                  I came across another candidate: Eddie Miksis. Mainly a career utilityman, he often manned 2B for the hapless Cubs of the 1950's. I guess Eddie was a good guy to have around; a smooth fielder and a fast runner, he played in over 1000 games with five teams in his career, despite totals of -3.1 WAR, a 62 OPS+ and a slash line of 236/288/322. Miksis received a vote for the HOF in 1964.
                  Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice.

                  Comprehensive Reform for the Veterans Committee -- Fixing the Hall continued.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Freakshow View Post
                    I came across another candidate: Eddie Miksis. Mainly a career utilityman, he often manned 2B for the hapless Cubs of the 1950's. I guess Eddie was a good guy to have around; a smooth fielder and a fast runner, he played in over 1000 games with five teams in his career, despite totals of -3.1 WAR, a 62 OPS+ and a slash line of 236/288/322. Miksis received a vote for the HOF in 1964.
                    Tying back to The Natural, maybe the voter got him and Eddie Waitkus confused
                    NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                    Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                    Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Are you suggesting a vote for Eddie Waitkus would have been justified?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Cougar View Post
                        Are you suggesting a vote for Eddie Waitkus would have been justified?

                        Not really. But if someone is going to idiotically suggest that the FAME part should factor into their candidacy (i.e. Jose Canseco), than the player who’s story inspired the novel The Natural should have garnered such a boneheaded vote.

                        NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                        Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                        Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post


                          Not really. But if someone is going to idiotically suggest that the FAME part should factor into their candidacy (i.e. Jose Canseco), than the player who’s story inspired the novel The Natural should have garnered such a boneheaded vote.

                          Kurt Bevacqua, Buddy Biancalana, and Terry Forster for the Hall! The David Letterman slate.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Freakshow View Post
                            I came across another candidate: Eddie Miksis. Mainly a career utilityman, he often manned 2B for the hapless Cubs of the 1950's. I guess Eddie was a good guy to have around; a smooth fielder and a fast runner, he played in over 1000 games with five teams in his career, despite totals of -3.1 WAR, a 62 OPS+ and a slash line of 236/288/322. Miksis received a vote for the HOF in 1964.
                            Miksis bought me the beach front property that Jackson built my house on. I'll own that one too.

                            Comment

                            Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X