Last out/play of the World Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last out/play of the World Series

How often has the last out or championship clinching hit been achieved by an eventual HOFer? I know Ruth's CS is one and Gwynn made the last out in '84. If you include putouts, Ripken made the putout to end the '83 series.

Cabrera made the last out in 2012. He's a certain HOFer.

Comment

16 -- 14 outs and 2 hits.
      https://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/...nal_outs.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
        That's a great page. Excellent.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

I thought it was interesting that only once has the WS ended with the bat stationary.

Comment

Originally posted by Steelwheels View Post
            I thought it was interesting that only once has the WS ended with the bat stationary.
            Three times -- Goslin, Cabrera, Flores.

Comment

The worst one for me was 2000 when Piazza popped out to end a big letdown of a subway series.

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post

Three times -- Goslin, Cabrera, Flores.
                d'oh! I did not look very carefully!

Comment

How about 1928?

For the last AB, Waite Hoyt (HOF) threw a pitch to Frankie Frisch (HOF) who flew out to another HOFer (Babe Ruth) in foul ground.

This was the three homer game from Ruth also.
                  I don't think either one of them can win it.-one sportswriter's assessment of the 1945 world series between the tigers and cubs.
                  Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
                    How about 1928?

For the last AB, Waite Hoyt (HOF) threw a pitch to Frankie Frisch (HOF) who flew out to another HOFer (Babe Ruth) in foul ground.

This was the three homer game from Ruth also.
                    I still have to go with 2000 because I was only 16 when that one happened.

Comment

Look how many other guys with a decent HOF case are on that list! Wally Berger, Ron Cey, Gil Hodges, Elston Howard, Joe Jackson, Davey Johnson, Kenny Lofton, Tony Phillips, Vada Pinson, Jorge Posada, Pete Rose, Roy White.

Active players with a shot include Michael Brantley, Miguel Cabrera, Nelson Cruz, Manny Machado, Salvador Perez and Corey Seager.

Time will tell, but this list can only grow as years pass.
                      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                        Look how many other guys with a decent HOF case are on that list! Wally Berger, Ron Cey, Gil Hodges, Elston Howard, Joe Jackson, Davey Johnson, Kenny Lofton, Tony Phillips, Vada Pinson, Jorge Posada, Pete Rose, Roy White.

Active players with a shot include Michael Brantley, Miguel Cabrera, Nelson Cruz, Manny Machado, Salvador Perez and Corey Seager.

Time will tell, but this list can only grow as years pass.
                        It makes sense if you think about it. When a team's back is up against the wall and their best player is available, that team is going to do whatever they can to get a bat in that player's hands.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

It makes sense if you think about it. When a team's back is up against the wall and their best player is available, that team is going to do whatever they can to get a bat in that player's hands.
                          It's a little more unlikely than that...most of the time these guys were in the starting lineup and their turn in the order just happened to come up.

Comment

Originally posted by Cougar View Post

It's a little more unlikely than that...most of the time these guys were in the starting lineup and their turn in the order just happened to come up.
                            Yup. Teams that make the WS are much more likely to have 4-5 All Star caliber and 1-3 HOF caliber players on them than a typical team anyway.
                            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                              The worst one for me was 2000 when Piazza popped out to end a big letdown of a subway series.
                              Especially considering that Yankees team's staff was really weak compared to their past four squads. Clemens was the only one on that staff with an era below 4.00, and only him and Pettitte had an ERA+ that was truly above-average (131 for Rocket, 111 for Pettitte.)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X