Most Egregious Omissions From Post-Integration Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Egregious Omissions From Post-Integration Era

As most of you know I am currently working on my personal Hall of Fame. I have always found this board to be the greatest resource out there and have found my conversations with you all to be extremely enjoyable.

The way I am going about my personal Hall is starting with players who played a bulk of their careers post 1950. I am also only researching players who have fallen off the ballot. For example I am not considering Curt Schilling because he is on the ballot and I am not considering Adrian Beltre because he is not yet eligible. These two players are no brainer Hall of Famers for me, but don’t fit my criteria.

I am very interested in hearing who you all have as inner circle guys your Halls. These are players where their omissions are egregious and you do not understand how they are not yet in the HOF. For example, two players have are Dick Allen and Bobby Grich. These two players I fee are the best players post integration that are not in the HOF and cannot understand why.

We all have our personal favorites and there are a lot of grey areas, but I am looking for players who there are no doubt about. Carlos Delgado is someone I struggle with and go back and forth on. At this moment I do have him in my personal HOF, but in no way do I think it is egregious he is not in.

On a side note, is there a thread I can go back to where everyone on the board has voted and ranked the best players not in the HOF? Is that something you all would have interest in if not? I look forward to seeing everyone’s responses.

Names Mentioned:
    1. Bill Freehan
    2. Kenny Lofton (2 votes)
    3. Fred McGriff (4 votes)
    4. Lou Whitaker (5 votes)
    5. Rick Reuschel
    6. Reggie Smith (2 votes)
    7. Luis Tiant (3 votes)
    8. Dick Allen (5 votes)
    9. Albert Belle (2 votes)
    10. Mark McGwire (6 Votes)
    11. Minnie Minoso (3 votes)
    12. Rafael Palmeiro (3 votes)
    13. Thurman Munson (2 votes)
    14. Bobby Grich (3 votes)
    15. Kevin Brown (3 votes)
    16. Ken Boyer (2 votes)
    17. David Cone (2 votes)
    18. Jim Edmonds (2 votes)
    19. Dwight Evans (2 votes)
    20. Keith Hernandez
    21. Dale Murphy
    22. Graig Nettles
    23. Johan Santana
    24. Bret Saberhagen
    25. Dave Stieb
    Last edited by DaKid12; 07-26-2020, 02:56 PM.

Bill Freehan for me.
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"Fill in any figure you want for that boy (Mantle). Whatever the figure, it's a deal." - Branch Rickey

Comment

In addition to the names listed i would add Kenny Lofton, Lou Whitaker and Fred McGriff (if he counts).

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
        In addition to the names listed i would add Kenny Lofton, Lou Whitaker and Fred McGriff (if he counts).
        McGriff absolutely does count. No longer eligible to be voted in by the writers.

Comment

Reggie Smith, Rick Reuschel, Luis Tiant.

Comment

Rafael Palmeiro and Mark McGwire, although we all know why they aren't in the Hall.

Outside of those two, the player who is the biggest omission for my is Dick Allen. I was about to say that he's the run-away favorite, but I had to stop myself. Minnie Miñoso is actually rather close behind him. Miñoso played a tad bit in the Negro Leagues pre-integration, but seeing how his MLB career began in earnest in 1951, I think he should count here.

My Top 5 are:
            1. Rafael Palmeiro
            2. Mark McGwire
            3. Dick Allen
            4. Minnie Miñoso
            5. Albert Belle

Comment

Gonna go with McGriff and McGwire.

Comment

McGriff, followed closely by Dick Allen.
                3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"Because as I learned in my years covering Frank McCourt: MLB owners do not see themselves as stewards of the national pastime. They see their teams as their property they can light on fire if they so choose." - Molly Knight

Comment

Outside of the steroids guys:

Thurman Munson
                  Dick Allen
                  Albert Belle
                  Lou Whitaker
                  Bobby Grich
                  Minnie Minoso
                  Luis Tiant

That's about it. Most of the biggest oversights (Blyleven, Simmons, Santo) are in.

Of the steroids guys:

Mark McGwire
                  Rafael Palmeiro
                  Kevin Brown

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

That's about it. Most of the biggest oversights (Blyleven, Simmons, Santo) are in.
                    I think they've been a pretty good job recently (in the last 10 years) of correcting some of the bigger omission mistakes of the past:
                    2011 - Bert Blyleven
                    2012 - Ron Santo
                    2013 - Deacon White
                    2018 - Alan Trammell
                    2019 - Lee Smith
                    2020 - Ted Simmons

Of course there are still some outstanding, but compared to when I first joined this site (15-16 year ago?), this is a marked improvement.

Comment

Honestly, the most egregious omissions have largely been rectified. (Ron Santo comes to mind.)

I would suggest that the biggest whiffs who remain (in terms of players the writers should have elected) are Dick Allen, Ken Boyer, David Cone, Jim Edmonds, Dwight Evans, Keith Hernandez, Fred McGriff, Minnie Minoso, Thurman Munson, Dale Murphy, Graig Nettles, Johan Santana and Luis Tiant.

I am not including players associated with PEDs as that is obviously the primary (if not sole) reason for their rejection by the BBWAA. Mark McGwire and Rafael Palmeiro, at least. (Kevin Brown simply wasn't widely recognized as a great pitcher, even though he was.)

In terms of players I see as the most deserving from this era who aren't already in? Allen, Brown, Evans, Grich, Hernandez, Lofton, Big Mac, Munson, Raffy, Smith, Tiant and Whitaker. If I have to advocate for just one, it's probably Dick Allen.
                      Last edited by Chadwick; 07-25-2020, 08:48 PM.
                      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Taking Chadwick's queue, if I could add 10 players from post integration, they would likely be:
                        Dick Allen, Kevin Brown, Ken Boyer, David Cone, Jim Edmonds, Dwight Evans, Bobby Grich, Mark McGwire, Bret Saberhagen, Lou Whitaker,
                        Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
                        http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

I totally spaced it on Dave Stieb. While not the best pitcher out there, he's right up there.
                          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                          "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                          "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Looks like I am on track. If I could add 15 players who I feel strongly about, I would add the following:

1. Dick Allen
                            2. Albert Belle
                            3. Ken Boyer
                            4. Kevin Brown
                            5. Dwight Evans
                            6. Bobby Grich
                            7. Keith Hernandez
                            8. Kenny Lofton
                            9. Fred McGriff
                            10. Mark McGwire
                            11. Minnie Minoso
                            12. Rafael Palmeiro
                            13. Reggie Smith
                            14. Luis Tiant
                            15. Lou Whitaker

Comment

I have updated the vote totals in the original post. So far looks like McGwire and Dick Allen seems to be the most egregious omission with 5 votes, followed by McGriff and Whitaker with 4 votes.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X