X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File under "nothing new under the sun"

Wisdom from Ecclesiastes 1:9 and a gem I dug up from Grantland Rice:

War Seen Ahead Over Names For Baseball’s Hall Of Fame

The selectors of the baseball figures to be immortalized in the Hall of Fame at Cooperstown, N.Y., are getting closer to the point where there will be an argument over every selection.

Those named for niches in the hall have been so obvious so far – the last three were Cy Young, Napoleon Lajoie and Tris Speaker – that there was no room for serious discussion of the choice. But wait a little while. Wait until they work their way down a bit into the list of players the present-day fans know somewhat better than they know the stanch old heroes upon whose fame the more or less official seal has been placed.

It may not have been the aim of the founders of the Hall of Fame to stir up arguments, but that is the way it will work out, and I think it will be an excellent thing for baseball, too. The loud cries that will fill the air a year or so from now will give the lie to those who have maintained – with some show of seriousness – that baseball is a decadent sport, which began to die when the automobile was born. There isn’t anybody who can argue more lustily than a baseball fan and the big row is, so to speak, just in the offing.

…..

Can’t you hear them already? They’ll argue up and down and across the land, and the older they are the more loudly they’ll argue, because old heroes die hard in the public mind, no matter how often you hear them say that the public is fickle. Fickle, eh? Just try to tell your dad that Carl Hubbell is on a par with Christy Mathewson and see what he says! But, above all things, be prepared to duck.”
    That was published in The Baltimore Sun on February 10, 1937. The Hall of Fame had a mere 8 members to its credit.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X