Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

70+ WAR Club Not in HOF. Who do you support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70+ WAR Club Not in HOF. Who do you support?

The following players have a career bbrefWAR of 70.0 or higher according to their leader board, are not active, and are no longer on or eligible for the BBWAA ballot. Who do you support for the HOF?
    Bill Dahlen
    76.19%
    Bobby Grich
    76.19%
    Jim McCormick
    42.86%
    Raphael Palmeiro
    61.90%
    Pete Rose
    71.43%
    Lou Whitaker
    90.48%

All but McCormick.

Comment

All of them

Comment

Originally posted by pedrosrotatorcuff View Post
        All but McCormick.
        I concur with this.

Comment

Sorry, I meant to vote for everyone. The screen shifted up so I hit Post instead of voting for somebody.
          1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
          The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

All of them. So to make it interesting, I've ranked them.

1. McCormick
            2. Grich
            3. Whitaker
            4. Dahlen
            5. Palmeiro
            6. Rose
            Put it in the books.

Comment

All of them.

1. Pete Rose
              2. Bobby Grich
              3. Lou Whitaker
              4. Bill Dahlen
              5. Rafael Palmeiro
              6. Jim McCormick

While I expect 70+ WAR to signal a Hall of Famer, I wouldn't ever want to base a player's worthiness solely on reaching that number. I'm opposed to any "automatic" election.
              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

I voted for all (to no one's surprise, I presume).

If someone wanted to exclude Palmeiro or Rose, I would respect their opinion without reservation. But obviously their on-field work merits induction.

Comment

Palmiero and Rose have obvious HOF numbers. Grich and Whitaker just as obviously do not. McCormick I could go either way on...it's so hard to judge those old timers.

I'm pretty steadfast in my opinion that that a HOFer should have a pretty long stretch of greatness and/or overwhelming counting stats. Grich and Whitaker only sniffed greatness for a season or two.
                  Last edited by willshad; 07-31-2020, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I'm not voting for Rose or Palmiero. I'd probably hold my nose and vote for Rose once he can no longer enjoy or profit from the honor. His production merits induction, his behavior does not. Palmiero seems to be a PED creation--he wasn't on a HOF trajectory before he started juicing, but he found the right combination of drugs to get that kind of production. That bugs me--it's not what sport is supposed to be about.
                    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Pete Rose and Lou Whitaker, but Lou is a somewhat lower ranked guy, so I can understand tight HOFs not having him.

Rose of course brings a huge stench with him, but if you can stomach it belongs in.
                      I don't think either one of them can win it.-one sportswriter's assessment of the 1945 world series between the tigers and cubs.
                      Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
                        I'm not voting for Rose or Palmiero. I'd probably hold my nose and vote for Rose once he can no longer enjoy or profit from the honor. His production merits induction, his behavior does not. Palmiero seems to be a PED creation--he wasn't on a HOF trajectory before he started juicing, but he found the right combination of drugs to get that kind of production. That bugs me--it's not what sport is supposed to be about.
                        It bugs me as well. I made the comparison of Will Clark vs Rafael Palmiero before through their first eight seasons and Clark was the far superior player. That's not even debatable.

As for Rose my question is even by some major miracle he is reinstated it's not a given he would be elected to the HoF. Though, his career merits induction he's made quite a bit of enemies who will not vote for him.
                        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Dahlen, Whitaker.
                          “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"Fill in any figure you want for that boy (Mantle). Whatever the figure, it's a deal." - Branch Rickey

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X