Active Pitchers Poll 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Pitchers Poll 2020

Which of the following active pitchers are likely to ultimately merit election to the Hall of Fame? (Feel free to speculate on their chances in a post; their probability of election, however, isn't the subject of the poll.)

A vote in the poll is a response of "Yes, this player will ultimately merit election."
    Madison Bumgarner
    5.56%
    Gerrit Cole
    11.11%
    Jacob deGrom
    38.89%
    Zack Greinke
    94.44%
    Cole Hamels
    27.78%
    Felix Hernandez
    0%
    Clayton Kershaw
    100.00%
    Corey Kluber
    0%
    Jon Lester
    0%
    David Price
    5.56%
    Chris Sale
    16.67%
    Max Scherzer
    88.89%
    Stephen Strasburg
    11.11%
    Justin Verlander
    88.89%
    Adam Wainwright
    11.11%
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

I voted will, not necessarily should.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

I have a feeling that Cole is going to age really well, perhaps having his prime years in his 30s.
      Chop! Chop! Chop!

Comment

If their career ended today, the following merit election:

Zack Greinke
        Cole Hamels
        Clayton Kershaw
        Max Scherzer
        Justin Verlander

Gerrit Cole, Jacob DeGrom & possibly Chris Sale are three who could still reasonably accomplish enough to make the HoF.

Comment

Worthy at the moment
          Greinke
          Hamels
          Kersh
          Scherzer
          Verlander

On pace/need more, likely to get enough to push them over the top
          Cole
          deGrom
          Sale

On pace/need more, not likely to get enough to push them over the top
          Bumgarner
          Felix
          Kluber
          Price
          Strasburg
          Waino

Comment

Oh dur I only saw Verlander's name as I clicked. I voted Greinke, Kershaw, Scherzer.
            I'm torn about King Felix. Several years ago I would have voted him in.
            Cole, DeGrom and Sale, as noted have the peak or will with another season

Comment

Already there:

Zack Greinke
              Clayton Kershaw
              Max Scherzer
              Justin Verlander

Will probably get there/on pace as of 2020:

Jacob deGrom

I accidentally clicked Gerrit Cole.

Need more, but on pace:

Madison Bumgarner
              Gerrit Cole
              Cole Hamels
              Cory Kluber
              Stephen Strasburg

I left Felix Hernandez on the shelf. If he comes back and has one or two more good seasons, he still has an outside shot. If 2019 was it for him, he falls just short.
              Last edited by jjpm74; 09-16-2020, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Again, I thought the poll was asking about likelihood, not deservedness. My answers would be different depending on the actual question.
                1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Kershaw, Verlander, Scherzer and Greinke are all there or close to it, so I voted for them.

Then there are the old guys (Hamels, Hernandez, Lester) who are a bit short...perhaps they'll find the fountain of youth, but I don't think they have the stats, will get the stats or will get the nod.

The younger guys such as Sale, Cole, etc. aren't close yet and it is way too speculative right now. Likely one will separate from the pack and make it, but which one is a guess.

I assume deGrom is too old and will fail to make it by not having enough of a career.

I also assume fewer and fewer pitchers will make the HOF in the years ahead as their innings and overall counting stats will keep dropping. When the number of starting pitchers who even qualify for the ERA crown drops by half or more, more people will realize that there are fewer great pitchers. However, for the truly great, there is an opportunity to become legends standing out even more compared to the relative dross.
                  Jim Palmer said about his longtime manager Earl Weaver: The only thing Earl Weaver knows about big league pitching is that he couldn't hit it.
                  Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Hoping Hamels in a postseason MVP for the Braves this year. He's making his 2020 debut tonight. He needs more narrative to compensate for the overemphasis of traditional voters on career totals.
                    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                      Hoping Hamels in a postseason MVP for the Braves this year. He's making his 2020 debut tonight. He needs more narrative to compensate for the overemphasis of traditional voters on career totals.
                      I think he's got a LONG ways to go...he's basically an inferior version of Mark Buehrle at this stage. His advantage is a bit higher OPS+, but Buehrle has 600 innings and 50 wins on him. Both were playoff/WS heroes once, but I'd argue Buerhlre has more fame (extra perfect game, all the Gold Gloves, probably tied to one team more now that Hamels has become a vagabond).

And I don't think Buehrle has a snowball's chance in a 90 degree summer day of making the HOF.
                      Jim Palmer said about his longtime manager Earl Weaver: The only thing Earl Weaver knows about big league pitching is that he couldn't hit it.
                      Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Comment

If it was up to me I would take every pitcher listed. Greinke, Kershaw, Verlander, and Scherzer are getting elected for sure. Hamels is right on the bubble. His election will rely on new advanced stat voters and if he sticks around for a few more years. Surpassing 60 WAR and reaching 3,000 strikeouts. Hopefully his postseason success carries some weight. If deGrom wins a third Cy Young he'll probably get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

I think he's got a LONG ways to go...he's basically an inferior version of Mark Buehrle at this stage. His advantage is a bit higher OPS+, but Buehrle has 600 innings and 50 wins on him. Both were playoff/WS heroes once, but I'd argue Buerhlre has more fame (extra perfect game, all the Gold Gloves, probably tied to one team more now that Hamels has become a vagabond).

And I don't think Buehrle has a snowball's chance in a 90 degree summer day of making the HOF.
                          I don't see either of them making it but it's worth noting that Hamels has a shot at 3,000 strikeouts, which is still a big milestone, while Buehrle finished with less than 2,000. I expect Hamels to do better in the voting.
                          My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                          2. Barry Bonds
                          3. Ty Cobb
                          4. Ted Williams
                          5. Willie Mays
                          6. Alex Rodriguez
                          7. Hank Aaron
                          8. Honus Wagner
                          9. Lou Gehrig
                          10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

I don't see either of them making it but it's worth noting that Hamels has a shot at 3,000 strikeouts, which is still a big milestone, while Buehrle finished with less than 2,000. I expect Hamels to do better in the voting.
                            That is a good point GiambiJuice. I've never looked at whiffs as a major deal for the HOF, but many do.

Considering that, he could be on par with Buehrle for the HOF voting..still don't think it is likely that he'll make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
                              That is a good point GiambiJuice. I've never looked at whiffs as a major deal for the HOF, but many do.
                              Good Lord it's a fine thing you weren't on here some 10 years ago when that fool, whatshisname, wouldn't shut up about Thome's 600 homers being completely nullified by his career strikeouts. He probably trolled this forum for a good year or two on that subject. Hall of Fame case? Did you whiff more than Joe Sewell? Then, nope...you don't deserve it. Some people......

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X