X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had no problem with his election.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

The '86 Mets disliked Carter as a person. He was a goodie-goodie who was always searching for the camera. The rest of the team was not like that at all. I think of Hernandez as the leader of that team, he had the veteran experience and leadership qualities too but his demeanor was more in line with rest of the teams. The team actually resent Gary for his attention seeking. This is talked about a lot in The Bad Guys Won.
      THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Originally posted by digglahhh
        The '86 Mets disliked Carter as a person. He was a goodie-goodie who was always searching for the camera. The rest of the team was not like that at all. I think of Hernandez as the leader of that team, he had the veteran experience and leadership qualities too but his demeanor was more in line with rest of the teams. The team actually resent Gary for his attention seeking. This is talked about a lot in The Bad Guys Won.
        This is interesting, considering that Carter wanted to wear a Mets cap on his plaque (I think - can anybody back me up?). The Hall overruled him.

Comment

--Is not fitting in with a gang of party boys, who wasted more collective than any other team I can recall, a positive or negative for Carter?

Comment

Originally posted by abacab
            This is interesting, considering that Carter wanted to wear a Mets cap on his plaque (I think - can anybody back me up?). The Hall overruled him.
            I don't know if that had more to do with allegiance to the Mets, are if he was embarrased by the Expos. I believe he said at some point something to the effect that he did not want to be remembered for playing on a team that will not exist in the near future.

Comment

XX,

I remember him saying something to the effect too.

Mark,

That's a damn good question...

Comment

Originally posted by digglahhh
                I think that's a rather broad generalization. Maybe it was all a facade, but they seemed to get along fine on the field, at least. He couldn't have been so much of a pariah that his pitching staff couldn't stand him. I would tend to believe that most of the negatives about him were said out of bitterness in retrospect. I don't recall that animosity towards Carter ever surfacing at the time.

Comment

I have some long days at work coming up, but I'll try to find some of the passages from the book and post them here in the next few days.

Comment

A funny thing about Carter is that when I came here to BBF I thought he was a bad HOF selection. Here's a link to that time (my second day here actually):

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...ht=Weak+HOFers

Comment

Originally posted by 538280
                      A funny thing about Carter is that when I came here to BBF I thought he was a bad HOF selection. Here's a link to that time (my second day here actually):

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...ht=Weak+HOFers
                      Wow, you've grown so much, Chris. Seem just like last week you just 13 years old?
                      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

As a hardcore Expos fan I think Carter deserves the HOF. He was one of or the best catcher of his time. But if Carter is a HOFer so are Raines and Dawson who were both better than Carter. Raines was the best lead=off hitter in the NL for about 10 years. Dawson was a gamer and amoney player. Carter loved the camera, he was happy if he got 2 hits and the Spos lost. Dawson while he had a poor On base percentage for a player of his calibre was a true gamer. He wanted to win more than the after gaem glory. As an Expo he was the best there was in his time there. Better than Carter at the plate.
                        I want all 3 Expo greats in the HOF and I rate them Dawson, Raines, Carter despite Carter being at the tougher postition.

Comment

Originally posted by cup2006sensrule
                          As a hardcore Expos fan I think Carter deserves the HOF. He was one of or the best catcher of his time. But if Carter is a HOFer so are Raines and Dawson who were both better than Carter. Raines was the best lead=off hitter in the NL for about 10 years. Dawson was a gamer and amoney player. Carter loved the camera, he was happy if he got 2 hits and the Spos lost. Dawson while he had a poor On base percentage for a player of his calibre was a true gamer. He wanted to win more than the after gaem glory. As an Expo he was the best there was in his time there. Better than Carter at the plate.
                          I want all 3 Expo greats in the HOF and I rate them Dawson, Raines, Carter despite Carter being at the tougher postition.
                          The standards for HoF catchers are much lower than for HoF outfielders. I'd rank Carter ahead of Dawson, though.
                          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Why is Gary Carter in the hall?

Am I missing something here, because I was just looking over his BR page and...his career just doesn't strike me as that of a HOFer. In 19 seasons he barely racked up 2000 hits?
                            sigpic

Comment

Pretty good OPS+ numbers for a catcher and apparently good catching ability and backstop coaching would seem to make a good argument.
                              Hey, this is my public apology for suddenly disappearing and missing out on any projects I may have neglected.

Comment

Although I despised him, especially after he went to New York, I can handle him being in.

Him being in while Ted Simmons isn't? Now, that I have a major problem with.
                                3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X