X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
    It would be fun to do this again with new participants (especially since 3 of these players are no longer living in the "suburbs" and given what we now have at our disposal in terms of advanced metrics vs. 3 years ago.
    I'd love to do it this time.

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied
    Originally posted by Brad Harris View Post
    I don't know but it'd be fun to do this again considering it's been nearly three years. We might get a few more participants too. Be great to have two eight-team leagues with the pennant winners facing off in a best-of-seven!
    It would be fun to do this again with new participants (especially since 3 of these players are no longer living in the "suburbs" and given what we now have at our disposal in terms of advanced metrics vs. 3 years ago.
    Last edited by jjpm74; 01-30-2011, 07:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Wendt
    replied
    I wouldn't be interested, of course, and it might be best to drop throw my squad into the pool. Heinie Groh, all the pitchers, and a few substitutes would be eligible.

For the record, I would have completed a starting eight comprising Hall of Merit members who were active ballplayers in 1879, except that the group passed over Heinie Groh for a long time, and I was keen on Groh at the time. So I drafted Groh and FS drafted Ezra Sutton. I do have 3B Ed Williamson who enjoyed a great 1879 season and my nine 1879ers do cover the field with substitute capability everywhere.

Those of you interested in simulation, thank me for drafting all those 19th century players.

P.S. It's disgraceful that someone's simulation doesn't go back even to 1893.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    I could probably simulate a league fairly easily using baseball mogul as most the players are already in the game. There would be some issues though:

1) In order to create a custom league, I have to select players by season, so the participants would have to specify a year (likely the best) for each player. For example, I drafted Ron Santo, so I would probably pick Ron Santo from 1967.

2) The game only has players that were active from 1901 through present, so most 19th Century players would be out, and those that are in, likely won't have a peak season to pick from. For example, Dan Brouthers (though he wouldn't be in this project) is actually in the game because he appeared in 2 games with the Giants in 1904 (and he actually may appear on the Giants' rosters in the game for 1901-1904), but his career was really over in 1896 with his peak largely in the 1880s. So even though someone like Brouthers could be a part of the sim, it would not be the player at or near his best.

3) Negro Leaguers that never appeared in the Majors are also not in the game, and for some that are, there may be the same problem that there is with 19th Century players - lack of peak seasons. For instance, Quincy Trouppe at age 39 appeared in 6 games with the Indians in 1952, so he's in the game, but likely far from his best.

4) Injuries are fairly rampant (and annoying) in the game, and while I can probably turn them off, I could leave them on and we could draft maybe 10 more players per team as minor league reserves in the event of injury.

5) Reviewing the team I drafted, I really like it, so I wouldn't want to redraft - though 19th Century players would have to be replaced for every team, same with players that have since been elected to the Hall (I have Joe Gordon and Jim has Bert Blyleven).

EDIT: Looking at the rosters above, I believe the following drafted players could not be included in a baseball mogul sim:

Ross Barnes (baseballPAP)
    John Beckwith (baseballPAP)
    Charlie Bennett (jjpm)
    Tommy Bond (JW)
    Pete Browning (JW)
    Bob Caruthers (JW)
    John Donaldson (Chickazoola)
    Fred Dunlap (Chickazoola)
    Dave Foutz (jjpm)
    Jack Glasscock (Paul)
    George Gore (Freakshow)
    Paul Hines (Paul)
    Grant Johnson (JW)
    Heavy Johnson (Jim)
    Charley Jones (Paul)
    Bill Joyce (Brad)
    Dick Lundy (Brad)
    Ollie Marcelle (jjpm)
    Jim McCormick (DX)
    Cal McVey (Paul)
    Bill Monroe (Paul)
    Dobie Moore (Jim)
    Tony Mullane (Mark)
    Alejandro Oms (Jim)
    Buck O'Neill (baseballPAP)
    Dave Orr (Brad)
    Dickey Pearce (Freakshow)
    Lip Pike (Paul)
    Ted Radcliffe (Chickazoola)
    Dick Redding (jjpm)
    Hardy Richardson (Paul)
    Jack Rowe (Paul)
    Chino Smith (Jim)
    Elmer Smith (Freakshow)
    Joe Start (jjpm)
    Jack Stivetts (Freakshow)
    Harry Stovey (jjpm)
    Ezra Sutton (Freakshow)
    Mike Tiernan (Paul)
    Deacon White (Paul)
    Ned Williamson (Paul)
    Nip Winters (Jim)
    Bill Wright (baseballpap)

The following players are likely in the game but have limited, if any, peak seasons to choose from:

Cupid Childs (JW)
    Buzz Clarkson (Jim)
    Bill Dahlen (jjpm)
    Luke Easter (Paul)
    Kid Gleason (jjpm)
    Herman Long (baseballPAP)
    Jesse Tannehill (freakshow)
    Quincy Trouppe (Jim)
    George Van Haltren (jjpm)
    Last edited by DoubleX; 01-30-2011, 08:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    -- I never got as far as the sims. It was alot of work creating all the players and interest waned before I got it done.

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    replied
    I don't know but it'd be fun to do this again considering it's been nearly three years. We might get a few more participants too. Be great to have two eight-team leagues with the pennant winners facing off in a best-of-seven!

Frankly, I've toyed with the idea of a 32-team league (two leagues, three divisions of five teams each) with the division winners and a wild card in each league making the playoffs, eligible players being anyone not already inducted in Cooperstown and not still active. When players retired IRL they would become "rookies" in the league. When players were inducted into Cooperstown, they would "retire" from the league. With the talent dispersed among that many teams you'd be looking at a really competitive league, IMHO, with a great historical flavor, but I don't know if the absence of the "all time greats" would really interest anyone in something of that nature.

Regardless of simming anything or not, it'd be fun to run the 'Burbs project again

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied
    Did anyone ever run sims for these rosters? If so, how did they pan out?

Leave a comment:

• baseballPAP
    replied
    Doing as well as can be expected guys, starting chemo Monday morning. Strong chemo, because the cancer is considered somewhat aggressive, plus I'm young (35) enough to handle it the doc says. Talk about a mixed blessing

Thanks for the kind words, every little bit helps.

And I still can't get that #$%&(ing post up there to edit!

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied
    Originally posted by jalbright View Post
    PAP and leecemark aren't, but I think they can be forgiven in view of their personal family and health matters which I think we can all agree are more significant than this relatively unimportant (though fun ) project.
    Absolutely. I hope all's well with PAP.

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    --Actually I didn't realize mine wasn't up to date. I'll get it fixed today. Things are pretty much back to normal for me, although I haven't had any time for building the teams for the sim.

Leave a comment:

• jalbright
    replied
    Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
    Are all of these rosters now up to date?
    PAP and leecemark aren't, but I think they can be forgiven in view of their personal family and health matters which I think we can all agree are more significant than this relatively unimportant (though fun ) project.

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied
    Are all of these rosters now up to date?

Leave a comment:

• jalbright
    replied
    For what it's worth, if you go to the stickied Resources thread in the HOF forum and scroll down in the first post, you will find a link to this (and the other) SOC threads.

Leave a comment:

• baseballPAP
    replied
    For whatever reason, I have been unable to update my post above.

Leave a comment:

• Freakshow
    replied
    Bumping this back to page 1.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X